斯坦福 IT

Daily ESL: 三个月粗通英语

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
说来惭愧,本人虽然很早就通过了大学的四六级统考,但十几年来几乎都还给了先生。因此痛下决心,希望用三个月时间把日常生活的实用英语捡吧捡吧,也算是移民等待期的收获吧。

感谢移友推荐了一个不错的ESL网站,里面的内容非常翔实且实用,为了掌握进度,每天搬一个专题过来,希望和大家一起学习进步。

开始第三个专题,节假日(起点14页)
On Vacation:

Car Rentals
Cruise Vacations
Hotel Reservations
Plane Reservations
Restaurant Guides
Train Tickets
Vacation Plans
At School:

Attending Class
Getting an Online University Degree
Registering for School
TOEFL Test Preparation
At Work:

Commuting to Work
Job Promotion
Job Hunting
Job Interviews Tips

Holidays or Special Events:

New Year's Day
Halloween
Thanksgiving Day
Christmas

At Home:

In the Community:

最后编辑: 2007-12-02
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Unit 1: Airport

Introduction:
Airplane travel is one of the most common forms to transportation to get to overseas destinations, but making plane reservations and buying plane tickets are only the first steps. You need to know what to do and what to say once you arrive at the airport. Listen to the words below and consult a dictionary if you need a definition. Write a sample sentence for each word to learn how it is used in context. You can use the Internet to find such sentences.

There are 4 pieces of audio chips in this unit. The “d-airport” is a brief introduction of an airport as your first stop on trips. The “d-airport-talk” is a discussion about some of our frustrations when going through an airport. The “airport2” is a public announcement at an airport. The “v-airplane-travel” is a set of vocabularies often used in an airport.

[FONT=宋体]本来准备把音频上传到[/FONT]YOUTUBE[FONT=宋体]上,这样大家就可以直接在线收听,但[/FONT]YOUTUBE[FONT=宋体]不支持音频,只好打了一个压缩包供大家下载,大家可以离线学习[/FONT]

附件

• airport.rar
    447.8 KB · 查看: 561
最后编辑: 2007-10-07
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Unit 1: Airport

The Script of “d-airport”:

The airport is your first stop before leaving on our dream vacation or trip. Generally speaking, you should arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare. Don't arrive 10 minutes before your plane departs. You can park your car in long-term parking if you are planning to be away for a few days, or you can ask someone to drop you off in the loading zone right in front of the airport terminal. In some cases, you can check your bags there at curbside, or you might have to go to the check-in counter inside the airport. Many airports now allow you to check in at a computer kiosk, but you will still need to check your bags if you have any. Once you are checked in, you will have to pass through security where they will check your ID and your carry-on bags. You will also need to walk through a metal detector, which will check for illegal items. After you pass through security, you can walk to the gate where you can wait to board your flight. Just wait until they call your section to board. They usually seat first-class passengers and those who need assistance first. Enjoy your flight.

The Script of “d-airport-talk”:

Interviewer: Can you tell me some of the frustrations you've experienced at different airports . . . uh?

Woman: Well, I know the last time I flew . . . um . . . I think the most frustrating part was the long security lines because it's a really crowded airport, and it just took forever to get through the line, and I didn't . . . you know . . . I mean it's just annoying.

Interviewer: Well, are these some things that the airport can handle, or is it something that passengers can do to . . . you know . . . minimize these issues?

Woman: Well . . . um . . . I think there's . . .uh . . . that airport is really crowded. It has a problem because they just don't have the space to build more facilities. They need . . . you know . . . and they've talked about that. They acknowledge that it's a real problem. I know for us the last time we flew, my husband . . . um . . . he got delayed at work, and so we were really pressed for time, and so it was pretty stressful making sure we got through in time.

The airport needs to somehow come up with the funds to expand so that they have room to make additional lines to get through security. And as passengers, you just need to get there really early because once in a while, the lines aren't bad, but sometimes they're really bad, and you never know what you can expect, so you just have to get there early

The Script of “v-airplane-travel”: a set of vocabularies
aisle/ aisle seat / baggage claim area / boarding area
boarding pass/ carry-on luggage / cockpit / emergency exit
flight attendant / gate/ / lavatory / life jacket
metal detector/ overhead compartment / oxygen mask
pilot/ seat belt / security checkpoint
security officer/ terminal / ticket counter
tray table/ window seat / X-ray machine

最后编辑: 2007-10-07
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
新收集的雅思分类词汇: 机场

[FONT=宋体]机场费    airport fee
国际机场   international airport
国内机场   domestic airport 
机场候机楼  airport terminal
国际候机楼  international terminal
国际航班出港 international departure
国内航班出站 domestic departure
卫星楼    satellite
入口     in
出口     exit; out; way out
进站(进港、到达) arrivals
不需报关   nothing to declare
海关     customs
登机口    gate; departure gate
候机室    departure lounge
航班号    FLT No (flight number)
来自......  arriving from
预计时间   scheduled time (SCHED)
实际时间   actual time
已降落    landed
前往......  departure to 
起飞时间   departure time
延误     delayed
登机     boarding
由此乘电梯前往登机 stairs and lifts to departures
迎宾处    greeting arriving
由此上楼   up; upstairs
由此下楼   down; downstairs
银行     bank
货币兑换处  money exchange; currency exchange
订旅馆    hotel reservation
行李暂存箱  luggage locker
出站(出港、离开) departures
登机手续办理 check-in
登机牌    boarding pass (card)
护照检查处  passport control immigration
行李领取处  luggage claim; baggage claim
国际航班旅客 international passengers
中转     transfers
中转旅客   transfer passengers
中转处    transfer correspondence
过境     transit
报关物品   goods to declare
贵宾室    V. I. P. room
购票处    ticket office
付款处    cash
出租车    taxi
出租车乘车点 Taxi pick-up point
大轿车乘车点 coach pick-up point
航空公司汽车服务处 airline coach service
租车处(旅客自己驾车) car hire
公共汽车   bus; coach service
公用电话   public phone; telephone
餐厅     restaurant
酒吧     bar 
咖啡馆    coffee shop; cafe
免税店    duty-free shop 
邮局     post office
出售火车票  rail ticket
旅行安排   tour arrangement
行李牌    luggage tag

[/FONT]

最后编辑: 2007-10-09
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: Daily ESL: 三个月粗通英语

支持支持!
不过,你那1、2、3是干什么呢,占地儿?
一个小时等不上网,不知何故,占坑行为彻底曝光
KIWI姐多来指导,先把航班信息给消灭掉,那个超出了我的耳朵灵敏度

加声望了!
谢谢,明天回礼,英语声望两不误

加油!
谢谢版主支持

小鹌鹑

没事偷着乐
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

机场航班信息的announcement (供参考)

Hello passengers, Flight 17 bound for Crack(应该是某个城市名) slip stops and land at Miami. The departure gate has been changed to 32B, also there would be a slight departure delay due to inclement weather outside. The ground crew is in the process of deicing of wings preparation for the departure. It also looks the flight is slightly overbooked, so we're offering complementary round-trip tickets to a few passengers willing to take a later flight. We should be boarding about a quarter to the hour. Thank you for your patience.

小鹌鹑

没事偷着乐
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

请问一下overhead compartment 是头等舱的意思吗?
哪普通舱、经济舱、商务舱怎么说?
overhead compartment 是行李架。
economy class 经济舱 business class 商务舱

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
unit 2:Apartment

Test of Listening Conversation

Question 1: according to the general feelings.
Question 2: “But it is little far from the campus”
Question 3: “No more than 200 dollars a month according to…”
Question 4: “I want to share the apartment with one or two roommate”
[FONT=宋体]注意[/FONT]3[FONT=宋体][/FONT]4[FONT=宋体]问题的内容顺序是颠倒的,容易混乱,这样造成了我第[/FONT]5[FONT=宋体]个问题的内容漏听了[/FONT]
Question 5: “I will drive on my way there”

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Pronunciation Practice
[FONT=宋体]感受了一下,掌握实际读音比书面文字更需要训练[/FONT]

http://www.trainyouraccent.com/a-rent-apartment.htm

Actual Transcription:
I have decided to move out of my parents' place to live on my own, and now I am looking for an apartment. However, it is a lot more difficult and expensive than I thought. First of all, a one-bedroom apartment is going for about $500, and that is a little over my budget. Second, you have to pay a deposit, often equal to your first month's rent. Next, most apartments are not furnished, so I have to come up with furniture and a washer and dryer. Finally, the utilities, including gas, electricity, and water are not included either, so that adds to the overall expenses of having your own place. I really think I need to get a roommate, or I will have to move back in with my parents.
Reduced Speech:
I've decided move out əf my parents' place live on my own, ən' now I'm looking fərən apartment. However, it'sə lot more difficult ən' expensive than I thought. First əf all, ə one-bedroom apartment is going fərəbout $500, ən' that'sən' little over my budget. Second, have pay ə deposit, often equal your first month's rent. Next, most apartments aren't furnished, so I have come up with furniture ən'ə washer ən' dryer. Finally, thə utilities, including gas, electricity, ən' water are not included either, so that adds thə overall expenses əf having your own place. I really think I need get ə roommate, ər I'll have move back in with my parents.