recluse

外围群众
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
My husband's high school girlfriend
(self.SluttyConfessions)

submitted 8 hours ago by back2swing, Feb 14, 2019

... My husband got a text from his high school girlfriend that she and her partner were passing through town on an extended vacation in Europe and had planned a couple day layover here in LA before flying back home to Portland and asked if we wanted to get together. He ran it by me, and thinking it was just like drinks and dinner, I said sure, could be fun...

www.reddit.com/r/SluttyConfessions/comments/aqijb4/my_husbands_high_school_girlfriend_aka_why_you/

附件

• My husband's high school girlfriend-alice.mp3
    4.5 MB · 查看: 2
最后编辑: 2019-02-14
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
TED 2018
Why it's worth listening to people you disagree with

https://www.ted.com/talks/zachary_r...eople_we_disagree_with/transcript?language=en
In 1994, Charles Murray and Richard Herrnstein coauthored "The Bell Curve," an extremely controversial book which claims that on average, some races are smarter and more likely to succeed than others. Murray and Herrnstein also suggest that a lack of critical intelligence explains the prominence of violent crime in poor African-American communities. But Charles Murray and Richard Herrnstein are not the only people who think this.

00:31
In 2012, a writer, journalist and political commentator named John Derbyshire wrote an article that was supposed to be a non-black version of the talk that many black parents feel they have to give their kids today: advice on how to stay safe. In it, he offered suggestions such as: "Do not attend events likely to draw a lot of blacks," "Stay out of heavily black neighborhoods" and "Do not act the Good Samaritan to blacks in distress." And yet, in 2016, I invited John Derbyshire as well as Charles Murray to speak at my school, knowing full well that I would be giving them a platform and attention for ideas that I despised and rejected. But this is just a further evolution of a journey of uncomfortable learning throughout my life.

01:25
When I was 10 years old, my mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia, a mental illness characterized by mood swings and paranoid delusions. Throughout my life, my mother's rage would turn our small house into a minefield. Yet, though I feared her rage on a daily basis, I also learned so much from her. Our relationship was complicated and challenging, and at the age of 14, it was decided that I needed to live apart from her. But over the years, I've come to appreciate some of the important lessons my mother taught me about life. She was the first person who spoke to me about learning from the other side. And she, like me, was born and raised in a family of committed liberal democrats. Yet, she encouraged me to see the world and the issues our world faces as complex, controversial and ever-changing.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
http://forum.iask.ca/threads/这么简单的英文都听不懂-还想考7-绝望中.126947/
这是我2007年发的学英语的绝望贴,和10年后发的学英语挫败贴, 相比较,英文还是长进了不少。通过近几个月的跟读训练,自信大增。
在跟读过程中,有不明白的句子找中文翻译对照的,有的句子翻译得不错,我学习了;有的翻译的明显就是错的,我随之也就释然了,英文学起来也没有很大的压力感了。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
http://forum.iask.ca/threads/这么简单的英文都听不懂-还想考7-绝望中.126947/
这是我2007年发的学英语的绝望贴,和10年后发的学英语挫败贴, 相比较,英文还是长进了不少。通过近几个月的跟读训练,自信大增。
在跟读过程中,有不明白的句子找中文翻译对照的,有的句子翻译得不错,我学习了;有的翻译的明显就是错的,我随之也就释然了,英文学起来也没有很大的压力感了。
没有什么比看到自己的进步或者成长更高兴的事啦。Congratulations :wdb32::wdb32::wdb32::wdb29::wdb29::wdb29:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
小苏又找到了 14 岁时成长的喜悦了。
发了这个贴之后,大家提供了许多很好的建议,我对自己的学习方法做了一些调整,更重要的是,我可以自己选我喜欢的话题进行精听(有现代化的设备和无穷无尽的学习资料),既有趣又丰富了生活,还涨了知识。
谢谢各位网友的支持!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
3 questions to ask yourself about everything you do

When I was in high school at the age of 17 -- I graduated from high school in Decatur, Georgia, as valedictorian of my high school -- I was very proud of myself. I was from a low-income community, I had grown up in Mississippi, we'd moved from Mississippi to Georgia so my parents could pursue their degrees as United Methodist ministers. We were poor, but they didn't think we were poor enough, so they were going for permanent poverty.

00:38
(Laughter)

00:40
And so, while they studied at Emory, I studied at Avondale, and I became valedictorian. Well, one of the joys of being valedictorian in the state of Georgia is that you get invited to meet the governor of Georgia. I was mildly interested in meeting him. It was kind of cool. I was more intrigued by the fact that he lived in a mansion, because I watched a lot of "General Hospital" and "Dynasty" as a child.

01:05
(Laughter)

01:06
And so I got up that morning, ready to go to visit the governor. My mom and my dad, who were also invited, got up, and we went outside. But we didn't get in our car. And in the south, a car is a necessary thing. We don't have a lot of public transit, there aren't a lot of options. But if you're lucky enough to live in a community where you don't have a car, the only option is public transit. And that's what we had to take. And so we got on the bus. And we took the bus from Decatur all the way to Buckhead, where the Governor's Mansion sat on this really beautiful acreage of land, with these long black gates that ran the length of the property.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
3 questions to ask yourself about everything you do

When I was in high school at the age of 17 -- I graduated from high school in Decatur, Georgia, as valedictorian of my high school -- I was very proud of myself. I was from a low-income community, I had grown up in Mississippi, we'd moved from Mississippi to Georgia so my parents could pursue their degrees as United Methodist ministers. We were poor, but they didn't think we were poor enough, so they were going for permanent poverty.

00:38
(Laughter)

00:40
And so, while they studied at Emory, I studied at Avondale, and I became valedictorian. Well, one of the joys of being valedictorian in the state of Georgia is that you get invited to meet the governor of Georgia. I was mildly interested in meeting him. It was kind of cool. I was more intrigued by the fact that he lived in a mansion, because I watched a lot of "General Hospital" and "Dynasty" as a child.

01:05
(Laughter)

01:06
And so I got up that morning, ready to go to visit the governor. My mom and my dad, who were also invited, got up, and we went outside. But we didn't get in our car. And in the south, a car is a necessary thing. We don't have a lot of public transit, there aren't a lot of options. But if you're lucky enough to live in a community where you don't have a car, the only option is public transit. And that's what we had to take. And so we got on the bus. And we took the bus from Decatur all the way to Buckhead, where the Governor's Mansion sat on this really beautiful acreage of land, with these long black gates that ran the length of the property.
你居然把地名都听出来啦,我就听出来 Georgia and Mississippi. valedictorian我也没写对。
她说她就记得警卫一开始不让他进门的这件事,其他各种场面都不记得啦。我觉得特别真实。真的是这样,记忆中深深触动自己的不是很多很大的场面,都是很小的事情。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
你居然把地名都听出来啦,我就听出来 Georgia and Mississippi. valedictorian我也没写对。
她说她就记得警卫一开始不让他进门的这件事,其他各种场面都不记得啦。我觉得特别真实。真的是这样,记忆中深深触动自己的不是很多很大的场面,都是很小的事情。
我是把网上的transcript copy 过来, 方便大家学习。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
The Skill of Humor | Andrew Tarvin | TEDxTAMU