安大略省遭遇老外黑房东,下月开庭仲裁!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
转帖:

由于这学期从温哥华飞到安大略省任教,提前在网上租了这里一栋房子里的一间大卧室,结果遭遇了人间“奇葩”——加拿大黑心房东。

我的直觉是很准的。在和这个房东电子邮件交流的时候就预感这个人相当不靠谱。第一,此人一直用Craiglist中间邮箱和我联络,而只有在给他电邮转账时候才告诉我他私人电子邮箱,而且,此人从来不给我留任何电话号码,更不用说他的地址(他住在多伦多,不住在这儿,这套房子只用于出租)。第二,此人发来的租赁合同漏洞百出,我要是不长个心眼儿,不懂法律文件,那么就会很容易签署一份满是霸王条款的合同。第三,对于我的问题、顾虑和要求,此人几乎不回复邮件,如果回复也是寥寥几笔,所答非所问,只有在电邮转账缴纳定金时候他才及时回复。

我疑心遇到骗子,因此请当地的一个同事去看房子。据这个同事说,房子不错,地段不错,房东这个人很正常,是个年轻人,等等。我很信她的判断,因此也就放心了。

随后,这个房东又开始造孽了。我临上飞机之前,他都不告诉我如何给我交钥匙。我说,我是凌晨2点到此地,而他住在多伦多,建议他把钥匙提前给我寄到温哥华,他说没必要,他会把钥匙留在房子门口的信箱里。我又说,如果丢了怎么办?我可不愿意在室外站一宿。他说,他再在室外空调机旁的木头栅栏的底层某一隐秘角落放一把钥匙。我说,好吧,那么请你把那个“隐秘”的地方拍张照片发给我,以免我到了以后找不到那个“隐秘”位置。他就是不发。我又问,难道就一把钥匙吗?我理解是大门一把,房间一把。他迟迟不回复。我又追问,他支支吾吾,说“可能他们会留一把”。我也不解其意。

我的预感很准。坐在飞机上时,我脑海里已经浮现出一个画面,那就是夜深人静的凌晨,我拖着两个箱子,带着小狗来到房子前,找不到钥匙,如热锅上的蚂蚁。

到了多伦多,换了机场的出租车,辗转近两个小时来到这座连体别墅。果不其然,门口信箱里没有钥匙,也找不到那个空调室外机的“隐秘”位置。但是室内灯火通明。我轻轻一推,大门居然没锁,是开着的,里面轰隆隆地响着洗衣机滚筒的声音,遍地垃圾,一派狼藉,像是刚刚被打劫。我问道:“有人吗”?无人答应。我上楼找到了自己的房间。这里从客厅到厨房,到卫生间和我的房间,犹如人间地狱,惨不忍睹。

我的房间门大敞着,我的同事提前放进来的我的物品已经被打开,散落一地。屋里没有灯,也没有床(合同上规定必须有床),只有一个散开的沙发排骨架。旁边一个房间门大敞着,地上坐着一个坦胸露乳、神情迷茫的白种女人,看似不太正常,还带着一只大狗。她门口堆满了未刷的盘子和剩饭菜。

我安上了我自己的床头台灯,简单地打扫一下。没法睡觉,只好将自己的被子铺在沙发排骨架上当床垫,这么一来我就没被子盖了。就这样受冻躺了三个小时,丝毫没有睡着。这可是一生中第一次遭这样的罪,小狗宝宝倒是一点不失望,和我挨得紧紧的——它的要求很低,只要和主人在一起,就是露宿街头它也开心。凌晨四时,小狗宝宝狂叫,原来一群男人来到楼里,上楼来找那个白种女人,楼道里大侃起来。凌晨六点,我看实在难以入睡,而且因为受凉,嗓子开始不舒服,于是就睡在地毯上,盖了被子。这样勉强睡到天亮。给黑心房东发邮件,他死活不回,我也没他电话,因为他从来不留电话。给滑铁卢的朋友发了邮件,向他们求救。然后又拨通了911——接线员问我需要什么帮助,我大概说了一下,于是她说我可以拨打另一个非紧急情况的报警电话。之后,那另一个报警电话的接线员比较详细地问我什么情况,我一五一十、绘声绘色地描述一番,她说她马上联系警察,让我原地等候。

我心想,这要摊到其他人头上,如果在这种情况下语言表达不利落的话,岂不是干吃哑巴亏?

没多久,当地的朋友到了,看到此情此景,都义愤填膺,支持我报警。此时,一个小白脸从白种女人房间里冒出来,随后白种女人也出来,二人形象有些猥琐。

下楼看见一个中国男人,身材瘦弱,一口吴侬软语,原来是上海的租户,刚入住一个星期。他的房间在半地下。据他说,那个白女人经常招来不同的男人,他就见到过四五个。她声称那个小白脸是她表弟,谁知道是真是假?还有一次,小白脸洗澡用了上海人的浴巾,上海人感觉噁心,随后就把浴巾扔掉不要了。

11点多警察来了。我请他进屋,再次把来龙去脉讲述一遍。他很同情,说,这事儿虽然不归警察管,但是他可以给出建议。他做了笔录,而且问上海人要了房东电话,告诉我可以找租赁委员会等消费者保护机构去投诉。他认为,房东没有诈骗,只不过这是一个很差劲的房东罢了。如果是诈骗,那么警局就要出动了。

按照警察所说,我给房东打了电话。此人依旧无赖,说:“有问题我给你解决嘛!”我说信箱没有钥匙,他推到别的租户头上。我说室外空调机附近找遍了,也没有钥匙。他坚持说一定有,绝对有。我说的确没有,我现在就在空调室外机旁边。他还是说有,一定有。我说房间里没有床。他就说床垫一定被其他租户挪用了。他开始耍无赖了,我认为我没必要耗长途电话费(我的手机是温哥华的,他的电话则是多伦多的),于是就挂了。

下午出现转机。上次在这儿交的朋友正好有一个英国朋友想出租自己房子中的两间卧室,地点不错。据这个朋友说,那个英国人也蛮好的,是个木匠。他让英国人和我通话,简单聊了我的需求以后,他开车接上我去看房。他的房子简约,但是十分干净利索,尤其厨房橱柜,钉是钉铆是铆。他会在接下来的几天为我添置家居和互联网。

同时,另外的朋友介绍我去他们的一个朋友家暂时住几天,然后再搬到英国人的房子里。当晚五、六点,他们开车来接我,拉上我所有东西离开了这个人间地狱。

第二日我给我的律师打电话,他将我的情况转给了他们律师事务所的多伦多办事处。这边的律师仔细了解我的情况,决定给我写一封律师函,让我带到解决租赁纠纷的房东与租户委员会,希望能帮我把黑心房东吞的我1080加元钱要回来,不过我做好了肉包子打狗的准备了。我自己也写了一封邮件发给了黑心房东。多次和律师打交道,我写函也有半个律师的水平了。

因为受气又受凉,接下来几天得了重感冒。先是嗓子不舒服,夜里睡眠不好,接着鼻塞、流鼻涕、头痛,然后鼻塞加剧,狂咳不止。随之气温骤降,心情不佳。周三没带伞,又淋了大雨。吃了感冒药以后逐渐恢复,到今天基本上好了。

有意思的是,几乎所有的中国朋友都先问我,黑心房东是不是中国人?当我回答说是老外的时候,有的又问我是不是东欧人。我说是加拿大本地人,他们都很诧异。相反,没有一个老外问我黑心房东是什么种族。我认为不少人很容易把个案和种族这个集体概念牵连到一块儿;个体是个体,社会是社会,这是两个截然不同的概念。中国人有善良厚道的,加拿大人也有奸诈狡猾的。如果你带有种族刻板印象去对待个人,那么就很容易会影响到自己的预判,这是很可怕的。

我离开人间地狱第二日,上海租户也报警了。原来他在遛狗的时候,放在桌子上的iPod被人偷走了,疑心是白女人招来的那个小白脸。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
原文作者给安大略省租赁委员会的状子

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tenant’s Explanation
Submitted to the Landlord and Tenant Board
Along with the T6 Application Form
on the First of October 2014

1. Currently working at xxx, I relocated from Vancouver, BC, to C, ON, on September 7, 2014.

2. In August 2014, I began searching on craigslist.org for a room in a house to rent. I found the advertisement for 12345 xxxxxx, ON, N2T xxx, posted by the landlord, ABC, who claims that he does not live at the above referenced premises, though he owns it.

3. From the first contact till the last, there were 81 emails exchanged between ABC and myself, as well as a colleague of mine in C, Ms. Zhu, who would deliver my personal belongings to the place before my arrival. The communication between the landlord and myself was uneasy, given the 81 emails within a month or so, mostly because the lease agreement he had provided was full of flaws against the tenant and because he was evasive about my questions regarding key(s) delivery and other details that I, as a tenant, was entitled to know. I decided to proceed with the tenancy, however, only because of the good location of the premises.

4. Since the first contact, ABC has never given me any phone number by which I could reach him though I asked for it multiple times in emails, nor has used his personal email address in all correspondence with me except for Interac e-transfers. It was the Waterloo Region Police that helped me obtain his phone number after I called 911. Besides, ABC was very slow in responding to my emails. However, he responded to my monetary e-transfers very promptly.

5. Before I arrived in C, I had paid ABC the first and last month rent, which was CAD$1,080, through Interac e-transfer. I now wish to ask all money back.

6. Since I would arrive in C at 2:00 a.m. on the morning of September 7, 2014, I had asked ABC to courier me the keys at my own cost, but he refused to do so, as has been indicated in his impatient email of a word or two. As a matter of fact, ABC did not give me the keys to the property in question and to my room, even though he defended that he had left one in the mailbox and somewhere “in between the air conditioner and the fence outside of the building.”

7. I arrived at the premises in question around 2:00 a.m. on the morning of September 7, 2014, and did not find keys at the spots that ABC had told me about in one email. It was surprising to me that the door of the building was open, and the lights were all on. The living room and kitchen were extremely filthy and chaotic.

8. The room assigned to me, according to the lease agreement, was dark without a light. Besides, the room door was wide open with my bags and boxes open, my Sony speaker, pillow and some clothing missing. My colleague, Ms. Zhu, had delivered those belongings to the landlord a few days before.

9. According to the lease agreement, ABC should have provided basic furniture in the room including a bed. There was no bed in the room, not even a mattress. I was not able to sleep the entire night.

10. Without ABC’s phone number, I could only send him an email addressing my situation and concerns. He did not respond, until I had to phone him about 10 hours later with the number the police had obtained for me.

11. Around 4 a.m. in the early morning, I heard more than one man coming into the building and then up to the second floor, talking loud to the woman living in the next-door room for almost half an hour. I was extremely worried about the safety issues in the building.

12. I called the police around 8:30 a.m. One policeman came around 11:00 a.m., inquired about all details, looked around the house, and made notes. He also spoke with another tenant there, Paul Zhang. He assured me that the landlord was not a scam, but “just a bad landlord.” He then gave me the phone number of the Landlord and Tenant Board, suggesting I call for help as soon as possible.

13. I phoned ABC with the number the police had obtained for me. ABC did not even apologize for the situation, but sounded very defensive. He said that he would “resolve” the problems, by directing me to different places of which I was unaware. He refused to show up, nor gave me a specific time or date of the “resolution.”

14. Whereas I did not have keys to the room and to the building, I was stuck in the room all day and was unable to go anywhere, not to even buy food. I was extremely tired and hungry after the 5-hour Vancouver-Toronto flight and 2-hour airport transit trip from Toronto to C, followed by the unfortunate situation at the said premises. I became very sick, suffering a terrible cold, a high fever, fatigue as well as diarrhea. With the help of local friends, I moved away to stay with a family on the evening of September 7, paying $50/day till I found a new place.

15. On the same night, I sent ABC an email to terminate the lease agreement. I have not completely recovered from the illness as of today. Besides, the cell phone bill that I received 2 days after September 7 showed $175, generated by the calls that I had to make due to the above situation. Last but not least, I am not only physically ill, but also psychologically exhausted and traumatized, after those 81 emails, arduous communication and one after another frustration.

16. As of September 10, ABC’s tenant, Paul Zhang, informed me that he called the Police and reported another theft in the property. On September 23, he informed me that there had been prostitution going on in the property as well. Although these allegations were not directly relevant to my case, they proved my termination of the lease agreement and moving away a right decision.

Witnesses include the following:

Ms. XXX
Mr. XXX
Ms. XXX
Mr. XXX
C Region Police

Conclusion:

As a tenant, I signed the lease agreement and paid the first and last month rent in a timely manner in good faith. ABC’s failure to fulfill his responsibilities as the landlord has been devastating, as well as has caused the extra expenses I have incurred. He did not comply with the lease agreement that he had signed, refused to resolve problems in any real sense, and allowed the room door wide open with my valuable belongings unattended in it before I moved in. He sounds defensive and argumentative, and so I have determined to terminate the agreement and to submit this application to the Landlord and Tenant Board.

The landlord did not comply with the terms of the agreement, provide keys, correct deficiencies, maintain the premises in a good state of repair fit for habitation and in compliance with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards as well as my right to be free from interference with the reasonable enjoyment of the premises.

I have sought legal aid with regard to this matter. See s.20-23 of the Residential tenancies Act, 2006 (“RTA”) set out below:
“Landlord’s responsibility to repair
20. (1) A landlord is responsible for providing and maintaining a residential complex, including the rental units in it, in a good state of repair and fit for habitation and for complying with health, safety, housing and maintenance standards. 2006, c. 17, s. 20 (1).
Same
(2) Subsection (1) applies even if the tenant was aware of a state of non-repair or a contravention of a standard before entering into the tenancy agreement. 2006, c. 17, s. 20 (2).
Landlord’s responsibility re services
21. (1) A landlord shall not at any time during a tenant’s occupancy of a rental unit and before the day on which an order evicting the tenant is executed, withhold the reasonable supply of any vital service, care service or food that it is the landlord’s obligation to supply under the tenancy agreement or deliberately interfere with the reasonable supply of any vital service, care service or food. 2006, c. 17, s. 21 (1).
Non-payment
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), a landlord shall be deemed to have withheld the reasonable supply of a vital service, care service or food if the landlord is obligated to pay another person for the vital service, care service or food, the landlord fails to pay the required amount and, as a result of the non-payment, the other person withholds the reasonable supply of the vital service, care service or food. 2006, c. 17, s. 21 (2).
Landlord not to interfere with reasonable enjoyment
22. A landlord shall not at any time during a tenant’s occupancy of a rental unit and before the day on which an order evicting the tenant is executed substantially interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of the rental unit or the residential complex in which it is located for all usual purposes by a tenant or members of his or her household. 2006, c. 17, s. 22.
Landlord not to harass, etc.
23. A landlord shall not harass, obstruct, coerce, threaten or interfere with a tenant. 2006, c. 17, s. 23…”
I’m a human being who values human rights. This unprecedented traumatic experience is one that has violated my basic rights, as the property that the landlord provided was a hazardous place and unfit for human habitation. I hereby ask the Landlord and Tenant Board to look into this application, and to provide a prompt resolution.

大雅

小樓一夜聽春雨
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
“我的直觉是很准的。在和这个房东电子邮件交流的时候就预感这个人相当不靠谱。第一,此人一直用Craiglist中间邮箱和我联络,而只有在给他电邮转账时候才告诉我他私人电子邮箱,而且,此人从来不给我留任何电话号码,更不用说他的地址(他住在多伦多,不住在这儿,这套房子只用于出租)。第二,此人发来的租赁合同漏洞百出,我要是不长个心眼儿,不懂法律文件,那么就会很容易签署一份满是霸王条款的合同。第三,对于我的问题、顾虑和要求,此人几乎不回复邮件,如果回复也是寥寥几笔,所答非所问,只有在电邮转账缴纳定金时候他才及时回复。”

如果有些事情从一开始直觉不对,就不要继续了,偶然是必然的交叉点,太多疑点的开始一般不会好。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
“我的直觉是很准的。在和这个房东电子邮件交流的时候就预感这个人相当不靠谱。第一,此人一直用Craiglist中间邮箱和我联络,而只有在给他电邮转账时候才告诉我他私人电子邮箱,而且,此人从来不给我留任何电话号码,更不用说他的地址(他住在多伦多,不住在这儿,这套房子只用于出租)。第二,此人发来的租赁合同漏洞百出,我要是不长个心眼儿,不懂法律文件,那么就会很容易签署一份满是霸王条款的合同。第三,对于我的问题、顾虑和要求,此人几乎不回复邮件,如果回复也是寥寥几笔,所答非所问,只有在电邮转账缴纳定金时候他才及时回复。”

如果有些事情从一开始直觉不对,就不要继续了,偶然是必然的交叉点,太多疑点的开始一般不会好。

说是这么说,但是遇到这种黑心奇葩的概率因为实在低,所以一般不会因为直觉就中断联系的,因为找房子、签合同等等都是很麻烦的事情。