• 发布时间 2011-04-05

罗珠达哇

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%
本人导师斯蒂文-海文多次去中国执教--先是人民大学,后来去北师大,现在南京大学邀请他。所到之处,他总是奇怪:

1、为什么中国学生课堂回答问题或者提问不积极?
2、为什么每个班上有一个 class monitor? monitor谁呢?

俺在温哥华上学时候,也发现那些老外同学个个都善于发言,好家伙,大家唯恐没有让自己有讲话的机会。他们尤其喜欢做课堂 presentation, 只要一到有公众演讲机会就个个兴奋不已。

而俺总是后发制人,从来不先发言。别的班的中国学生也都那么说。

这种文化差别的根源在哪里呢?

俺给海文教授这么解释:

Yes, Stephen, I have noticed the difference in the classroom.

I was surprised when I first saw the open discussion in class in Vancouver. Everyone raised their hand to talk. It was spectacular to me.

I have discussed with many Chinese people why Chinese students are quiet. We all agree that they are quiet for reasons that are not shared by the Japanese or Korean ones, who are even quieter only because they are shy.

The Chinese in general are a jealous and vengeful people, much more complicated than any other people in the world. Having been trained by one after another political or counter-cultural campaign over the long history, they have learned to be careful with what they have to say or do in public. They don't want to show how smart they are in front of other students for fear of being targeted as a competitor, or someone ahead to be caught up with or surpassed, as they are educated to believe it's always wise to play dumb. (For the kids in North America, no way! They love to show they are such a smart ass.) They also don't want to show how stupid they are by saying something wrong in front of everyone else. They also don't comment on anyone in presence coz they know someone offended can take revenge sooner or later, without them knowing.
For me, I knew I could speak up but it took time for me to adjust from that heavy historic baggage as they say...

As a foreigner, you may argue with me--"nah, that's generalization, blah blah blah" But if you are extremely familiar with the Chinese history and culture, if you know the Chinese characteristics well enough, you will agree...

There are many Chinese slang terms, proverbs and idioms that are worth studying regarding what I am talking about. These are what I have been told since CHILDHOOD! I'm telling you, the Chinese are always envious of foreigners for being naive and simple.

Shoot the bird that takes the lead.
The outstanding usually bear the brunt of attack.

A man dreads fame as a pig dreads being fat.

Gain mastery by striking only after the enemy has struck; let one's opponent start hitting and then get the better of him.

It is easy to dodge an open spear thrust, but difficult to guard against an arrow in the dark.

etc. etc. etc...

罗珠达哇

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%
回复: 中美教育巨大差别:和美国教授探讨为何中国人课堂发炎不积极。

美国教授回答:

I agree, Dhawa, with everything you said. I am well aware of the cultural and political pressures on Chinese students to keep quiet in the classroom, and in public generally. I understand very well that in the 20th century horrible things happened to many people in China who spoke their minds openly. Also, I am aware that in most--all?--Chinese college classes there is a party monitor. Was this also true of the poetry class I taught at Beijing Normal? I was never quite sure who that person was in our small poetry class. But in every other class I taught in China, I was introduced at the beginning of the semester to the class monitor. That person's presence would also tend to quiet conversation in class. I am very much aware how intelligent my students were at Beijing Normal. I loved that class and loved the students in it. Anyway, I am a quiet person too, for reasons very different than the social and political pressures on students in China. Silence is often a sign of intelligence. It means nothing in and of itself: the life and energy and spirit of the mind is always more powerful than anything anyone ever says in public. Needless to say, I think nothing but the best of your talent and ability. I trust you will get into Rutgers and we will have coffee in New Jersey sometime next year. All Best Wishes! --Stephen

罗珠达哇

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%

关于他问了class monitor是作何用的,俺给予了解释。其实只是翻译的不恰当,这边也有班长,只不过人家叫 class representative, or class rep in short

Stephen--

Being quiet in public, especially in the classroom and at a meeting, in China, is more of a national psychological issue than a political issue in terms of freedom of speech. People here are afraid to make mistakes about what they have to say, and even more afraid to say something carelessly that might offend someone in presence.

When I was in middle school, it was already quite OKAY to criticize Mao or Deng Xiaoping in class. Fortunately, my teacher encouraged me to do so and also spoke highly of me for being audacious.

Class monitor is a bad Chinglish translation. It should be translated as Class Representative, or in short, Class Rep, as what we call in Canada. Class Rep's job is the same as Class Monitor, collecting assignments, handing out test paper, conveying instructors' messages, etc.

Class Monitor is not to "monitor" the remark or behavior of any students.

Kids in North America are very lucky. Basically they have nothing to worry about; they can easily get student loans, and can work at 7/11 or Starbucks to pay tuition or even travel overseas. I love seeing them coming to school with a skateboard under their arm. They are in general, in comparison, not vain, not snobby, not like Chinese especially Cantonese from Hong Kong. I'm glad that Sarah and Jonah were not brought up in China or by their biological mother.

I had this classmate, Nate, from Kansas City. I always wonder what kind of family education he had, coz he had no shortcomings at all. He was punctual, polite, very helpful, and he was neutral when they saw other students having friction. He had never been mean to anyone, had never said a bad word, and had never spoke ill of anyone behind his or her back. He could wear two or three jackets, two pairs of shoes all year around. I asked him, "How come you don't have any human stains?" He smelled his underarm and asked me, "Do you mean I'm not stinky?" There are quite many young people like him in North America.

One thing I've noticed is that the students there are more moral than students in China. For example, in China we love nicknaming people we don't like and everyone follows by using the nickname. In Canada, me and a Jewish girl in my class nicknamed a bitch we all disliked as "stinky," but no one else followed. Instead, they still preferred to call her by her name Jaime.

Also, I've noticed that young people in North America like to make funny faces when they have a picture taken, but Chinese people will work hard to strike a perfect pose. That's a BIG difference.

罗珠达哇

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%

后来教授也同意,认为沉默是一种智慧的象征。哇啦哇啦发言说明不了什么。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

扯到monitor似乎有点政治的味道。一副社会主义压得学生说不话的样子。如果那样,那怎么解释日本,韩国和阿拉伯国家学生课堂上话也不多的问题?
关于亚洲学生在课堂上普遍比较安静的问题,其实已经有很多讨论了。不光是中国学生,亚洲其他地区都是啊。从社会文化理论解释貌似比较中立客观一些吧。

罗珠达哇

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%

扯到monitor似乎有点政治的味道。一副社会主义压得学生说不话的样子。如果那样,那怎么解释日本,韩国和阿拉伯国家学生课堂上话也不多的问题?
关于亚洲学生在课堂上普遍比较安静的问题,其实已经有很多讨论了。不光是中国学生,亚洲其他地区都是啊。从社会文化理论解释貌似比较中立客观一些吧。

上文中说了,中国和日韩还不一样。有深层的原因。文化、集体无意识、民族心理等等。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

原因好像挺复杂,可能长期影响吧,总之中国人的口才大部分都不如老美,他们太能说了。

罗珠达哇

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%

为什么楼主总是很在意西方教授对中国人的看法呢?有什么必要吗?

你怎么上面文章不看就结论呢?
老外对中国人有误解,本人给他解释,然后他认为中国人不轻易发言代表这智慧和稳重,而不是胆怯。这是给中国学生平反的帖子。

请你看了再下结论。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

你怎么上面文章不看就结论呢?
老外对中国人有误解,本人给他解释,然后他认为中国人不轻易发言代表这智慧和稳重,而不是胆怯。这是给中国学生平反的帖子。

请你看了再下结论。
我看了,实际上我不觉得他们可以完全欣赏这种智慧和稳重。(如果他理所当然的认为是胆怯,他也不是教授的水平了)。就比如在中国的教授不会完全的欣赏西方人的智慧。嘴里和你扯扯,那倒可以。

他们欣赏的是中国文化和他们文化的不同之处,而不是中国文化的智慧之处。

罗珠达哇

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%

未必啊

哆啦A梦

最大赞力
当前赞力
0.00%