斯坦福 IT

终极英语学习法 Ultimate English Learning Method(zt)

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: 终极英语学习法 Ultimate English Learning Method(zt)

老外白人经常愿意听到的一句称赞的话:You got a nice tan!

再举一个例子,Bar, 一个很简单的单词,在日常生活中有非常多的不同的意思:
  1.除了酒吧,凡是卖某一类商品的小柜台都可以叫吧:有的餐馆里有salad bar, 有的有sushi bar, 有的办公楼里有snack bar,
  2.块状物:一块香皂a bar of soap, 一块牛油a bar of butter, 一块金条a bar of gold,
  3.条状食品:巧克力条/棒chocolate bar, 麦片棒cereal bar, 燕麦棒granola bar, 能量棒energy bar, 糖果条candy bar, power bar(猜猜是啥?不是吃的),
  4.Excel 里的柱状图叫bar chart, 条形码叫barcode, 乐谱里的小节线叫bar line,
  5.司法考试bar exam, 标准提高the bar is raising, 坐牢behind bars。

hit a bar = go to a bar. 去酒吧。

现在老外经常挂在嘴边的一句话For real?! 意思就是Really? No Kidding?

Are you for real? 就是没搞错吧?你不是开玩笑吧?

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

MasterChef

MasterChef is an American competitive cooking reality show, open to amateur and home chefs. It is hosted by chef, television personality and restaurateur Gordon Ramsay, together with restaurateur and vineyard owner Joe Bastianich and chef Graham Elliot. The contestants face various challenges and one of them is eliminated each episode. Christine Ha, a blind Vietnamese American girl, won the MasterChef title in season three recently.

顶级厨师也是现在一套比较流行的电视真人秀。它可以说是用饮食烹饪,反映了美国这个大熔炉的特有文化。首先参赛者来自美国的不同地方,不同种族,带来了各具特色的食物(有白人,亚裔,非洲裔,拉美裔,等等等等,就是美国社会的一个真实写照)。其次节目的语言也接近生活,反映了不同阶层,不同背景的人的不同的文化特征。现在中国版的顶级厨师也开播了。

Will do!
  老外在回答愿意做什么事的时候,经常会说:Will do.

-Can you buy me some chocolate?
  -Will do!

-Can you pay this supplier today?
  -Will do!

-Can I borrow $ 100 bucks from you?
  -No!

Chick Flick (针对女性观众的浪漫言情片)。Chick 女孩, Flick 电影。

--Which chick flick is your favorite?
  --oh, I LOVE Titanic! I have watched it 100 times.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

关于老外说英语:
  现实生活中的老外说的英语,即使是native speaker,都五花八门,英美加澳新都有不同的口音,更不用说不是 native speaker,那口音的花样就更千奇百怪了。另外普通人不是播音员和演员,发音口齿用词都各不相同,有的人说出来的英语清晰动听易懂,有的人真的是含含糊糊,听不清楚说什么。这点还真由不得我们,只有多听各种口音去习惯。

关于口语和发音:
  我以前说过,要建立条件反射,首先是理解,然后说出流利的英语,那不是一时半会的事情, 要多年的积累。发音更是个很复杂的东西,模仿能力很大程度上决定了发音准不准,(跟唱歌同理)。如果你要模仿美音,跟VOA的Special English 多模仿,同时最好能找一个native speaker 来纠正一下你的发音和语音语调。模仿,纠正发音也是一个长期的工作。在现阶段,如果要提高说话质量,那在说话之前,可以多思考组织一下(不是翻译),把自己要说的话组织出来,列个几条,帮助自己更清晰的表达意思。不要图说的快,先要清晰准确。不知道你看过马英九说英语没有,比较慢,但非常清晰准确,就是这个意思。

关于打电话:
  虽然口语不能很快提高,我还是有一些建议,希望可以帮到你在电话里跟老外交流。
  1.学习一些打电话常用的语句。打电话有一些很特殊的跟平时不一样的表达法,学习一下,你听到时就不会茫然了。
  2.给别人打电话前,把你要说的东西都准备好,比如要问什么问题,要解决什么事情,把要用的文件数据放在手边,拿只笔随时写下要记的东西。有准备了,就不会那么慌张了。
  3.找一个好的电话英语的学习网站,多跟老外聊聊,消除紧张感。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

ESLPodcast 17 - Going to the Movies

I love watching movies. I like a lot of different genres. No matter what my mood is, I can always find something that fits the bill. When I'm feeling down, I sometimes like a good comedy. My favorite are romantic comedies. The plot is pretty simple. A boy meets a girl and there are road blocks to them getting together. The lead actors are usually likable people, the supporting cast give comic relief and villains are people we love to hate. In the end, though, there is usually a happy ending. Romantic comedies, or comedies in general, can be predictable but they're also pretty entertaining. I don't go out of my way to see slapstick or physical comedies that much. But, once in a while, I catch a good one on TV.

I like dramas, mysteries, and action and adventure stories, not to mention documentaries. My favorite are movies that have surprise endings that throw you for a loop. Just when you thought you had the whole thing figured out, there's a plot twist. Good screenwriters or directors can pull it off.

One type of movie I don't like that much are horror movies. Scary movies just don't do it for me. But, there is one exception. I like movies by the director Alfred Hitchcock. Hitchcock was born in England but made most of his films in the U.S. Before he died in 1980, he made a lot of movies that are now considered classics. Most of them are nail- biters; some are mysteries and some are horror stories.

The scariest movie I think he made and that I've ever seen was a movie called Psycho. The movie is set in a seedy motel called Bates Motel. The main character owns the motel and lives there with his mother. Strange things happened at this motel. People check in, but sometimes, they don't check out. One day, a very pretty woman checks in to the motel. We know something bad is going to happen to her. Sure enough, we see her get murdered. At the very end, we find out who the murderer is. It's one of those surprise endings. Just when you thought you have it figured out, it turns out to be a shocker. I won't spoil the ending for you if you haven't seen it. I recommend it though and give it a big thumbs up. But, be warned. It's not for the faint-hearted.

Stand up Guy (一个很有趣的词组,站立的人-值得信赖的人)

A good solid man, not one to bullshit, can be trusted, a loyal and reliable friend,trustworthy, will do anything needed for his family.

--Donnie is a stand up guy. I trust him.

Useful expressions and words

Chick Flick 浪漫言情片
  Drama 剧情片
  Mystery, adventure 奇幻历险片
  Action movie 动作片
  Horror movie 恐怖片
  Slapstick/physical comedy 夸张搞笑片(e.g.Jim Carrey and Stephen Chow)
  Documentary 纪录片

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

今天听老外同事吵架,又学到有用的东西哦。

--Why are you telling me off? I did exactly what you told me.
  你干吗责怪我?我完全照你说得做的啊!

--No, you did it wrong. You should pay ABC instead of XYZ.
  你做的根本不对!你应该付款给ABC公司,而不是XYZ!

--!#$$%^&*()????????????????
  我晕!

可理解输入

我一直在强调,语言学习的本质就是通过大量的优质的可理解输入,建立条件反射的过程,这是广大英语学习者最需要做的事情。发音,语法等等都应该是辅助的学习,真正的单词量(可理解,可使用)也应该是在学习过程中逐渐增加的,而不是背出来的。以下,我还是举我推荐的学习材料ESLPOD.COM的一小段为例子:

The vibe (atmosphere) in the restaurant is pretty laid back (relaxed), not at all uptight (intense, nervous) like you find in some of the ritzier (ritzy: fancy, expensive) restaurants in Beverly Hills. The wait staff is courteous (polite), although sometimes the hostesses can be a bit snooty (snobbish).

在一个高效的可理解输入的课堂上,应该是这样学习的:

For example, I will tell you “laid back” means very relaxed and free of stress. I can say: John is a pretty LAID BACK guy. He got ten million bucks from his grandfather and he doesn't need to work at all. Normally he just hangs out with his girlfriend and goes to clubs every night. I also can say: Many people take their vacations in Lijiang, Yunnan to enjoy a laid back lifestyle for a while.

Also, ritzy, (or fancy) means elegant, hi-end, and expensive. You can say: Guangzhou Restaurant is a FANCY (ritzy) restaurant; their food is perfect but very expensive. Sometimes it is gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Well, McDonald’s is a fast food restaurant, and eating their burgers and fries will not burn a hole in your pocket. So I guess you understand what laid back and fancy mean right now. And next time you can ask your boyfriend/girlfriend to bring you to a FANCY restaurant and enjoy a LAID BACK lifestyle for a moment. LOL!

一个不好的老师,能做的只是给你读一遍,翻译一遍,解释一些语法,让你再读一遍,然后让你回家去背诵。同时,如果老师只把这一些生词拿出来给你背,没有这些诠释作铺垫,你可能今天很快就记住了,不过没几天就全忘了,即使用什么记忆曲线,时间长不再看到,也就忘了,而且根本不会使用。而一个好的老师,应该通过自己的语言能力,通过详细讲解和大量举例,把这些教材变为能被学生充分吸收理解的输入,从而建立条件反射。

ESLPOD.COM的材料的好处就是,他们的学习材料是很地道的,符合可理解输入的,而且他们会给你详细地解释一遍,达到更好的理解效果。当然最好的办法是我能带你去一家说英语的意大利餐馆吃一顿,那你就能学到记住更多的东西了,哈哈!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

老外经常会用ass 这个词, dumb ass 傻X, asshole 二X, kiss ass 拍马屁, smart ass 聪明鬼, kick ass 很酷,干得很棒!

Birthday lunch at my company!

Good Morning,

Once again at this month’s birthday lunch we will be offering a healthier alternative for all those interested. We will be offering salads from Signature Saladz America.

You can request 1 of three choices (instead of Pizza + Sandwich):

1) Chicken Salad: Chicken, Romaine, Carrots, Bacon bits, Croutons, Chick Peas, with a Caesar’s Dressing.

2) Steak Salad: Steak, Romaine, Mushrooms, Corn, Sweet Onions, Red Peppers, Parmesan with Honey Mustard Dressing.

3) Veggie Salad: Spring mix, Romaine, Arugula, Hearts of Palm, Black Beans, Sunflower Seeds, Mushrooms, Carrots, with an Asian Dressing.

For all those who would like to trade in the pizza & sandwich for a salad, please email me your requests by end of day tomorrow.

We would like to wish a Happy Birthday to:

AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD..........

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

把各种吃的给大家翻译一下:

Once again at this month’s birthday lunch we will be offering a healthier alternative for all those interested. We will be offering salads from Signature Saladz America. 这次生日午餐,各位挑剔的童鞋们,我们再一次为你们准备了更健康的选择。我们提供“招牌美国沙拉店”准备的沙拉。

You can request 1 of three choices (instead of Pizza + Sandwich): (不要皮萨和三明治的)童鞋,可以选择以下任一种沙拉。

1) Chicken Salad: Chicken, Romaine, Carrots, Bacon bits, Croutons, Chick Peas, with a Caesar’s Dressing. 鸡肉沙拉(内含):鸡肉,罗马生菜,胡萝卜,培根(熏肉)丁,面包块,鹰嘴豆,配凯撒沙拉酱。(鸡胸肉真不好吃!)

2) Steak Salad: Steak, Romaine, Mushrooms, Corn, Sweet Onions, Red Peppers, Parmesan with Honey Mustard Dressing. 牛排沙拉(内含):牛排,罗马生菜,蘑菇,玉米,甜洋葱,大红椒,巴马奶酪,配蜂蜜芥末沙拉酱。(哪有什么牛排,净唬人,牛肉小块罢了。)

3) Veggie Salad: Spring mix, Romaine, Arugula, Hearts of Palm, Black Beans, Sunflower Seeds, Mushrooms, Carrots, with an Asian Dressing. 素沙拉(内含):混合蔬菜,罗马生菜,芝麻菜,棕榈芯,黑豆,葵花籽,蘑菇,胡萝卜,配亚洲沙拉酱。(素沙拉,美国人应该多吃,个个体重都严重超标!)

For all those who would like to trade in the pizza & sandwich for a salad, please email me your requests by end of day tomorrow. 如果你选择要沙拉,而不要皮萨和三明治,请在明天之前发邮件给我。

We would like to wish a Happy Birthday to:

AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD............. 祝小A,小B,小C,小D 等童鞋生日快乐!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

老外常用的一个词:Thrilled; very very excited.

I was thrilled when I got the job offer from Google.

Phenomenal, 老外常用的一个词,超级棒的意思。

Your new book is a phenomenal achievement!
  The Italian food at Il Fornaio is phenomenal

消费在美国

flyer (超市传单), coupon (优惠券), grocery store (卖食物,日常用品的中小超市),point card (积分卡),gift card(礼品卡,内含一定金额,可购物)。

大学公开课程(Open Courses)

现在国外的各个大学都流行开始搞免费的公开课程,对广大的英语学习者又提供了大量的宝贵的学习资源。想想你能免费看到听到世界一流大学的课程,感受到知识的力量,开放的心态,是多么美好的一件事情。大家可以去大学自己的网站下载,也可以在国内的下载网站找到很多。我个人比较喜欢耶鲁大学的课件(Open Yale Courses),制作的好一些,内容涉及自然科学,社会科学,商科等等,很多。还有哈佛大学的那门(公正该如何做是好?Justice: What's the Right Thing To Do?),太精彩了,解决了我很多关于国家,社会,民主等等问题的疑惑。如果你能把几门课的课程都听完看完,把要求的教材读完,阅读能力会有很大的提升。大家有兴趣的话,可以去看看。不过不适合初学者,毕竟都是大学的课程。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Period, end of story, the conversation is over. 都表示就这样了,别说了,我不想再讨论了。

I am not leaving. Period. 我不会走的,就这样了。
  I bought iPhone5 because I wanted to. End of story. 我想买爱疯5,我就买了,别说了。
  I will not sell my company to you. The conversation is over. 我不会把公司卖给你的,就这样了。

The dress code at my company 公司入夏前的着装规定,别穿得太少!

Hello ABC,

As summer is almost at hand, the Management has deemed it appropriate to remind all employees of the dress code. This dress code is designed to project a professional image, which we seek to maintain at all times.

ABC allows its employees to wear casual attire (“business casual”) from Monday to Friday. However, in keeping with the professional image the company wishes to project, employees must dress in good taste, clean and “conservative”. For example, shorts, jogging or exercising outfits or sandals (i.e. Columbia, Merrell), mini- skirts, undershirt, army style clothing, tubes and pareos, plunging neckline, parts of the body apparent (back and belly), and see-through fabric, will not be permitted.

ABC trusts its employees to judge whether conventional business attire is justified, should a meeting or special event be held.

We trust that all our employees will understand the reasons behind this reminder, and the importance of maintaining a professional image in the presence of our suppliers, and anyone visiting ABC.

Thank you all for your cooperation!

Johnson Johnson, HR Director

ABC Canada

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

ESLPodcast 18 - Getting Around

Getting around in the United States is sometimes not very easy. Most people own their own cars, but not everyone can foot the bill for the car, plus the insurance, gas, and maintenance. Most big cities have buses, but they are much slower than a car. Several cities in the U.S. have subway systems, but many do not. There are even fewer trains that transport daily commuters. In cities such as Los Angeles, public transportation is much more limited than in other countries.

If you take some form of public transportation, you need to pay a certain fare. In most big cities the fare is anywhere from 1 to 2 dollars. But don't expect the bus driver to change a bill for you. You usually need exact change if you're going to ride a bus, train, or subway. Whatever you take, you always have to pay for it!

My friends here in Los Angeles all have different ways of getting to work. One friend, who lives out in the boonies, rides the train everyday. He takes the train because it's easier for him than driving or taking a bus. Another friend I know who works close to where he lives rides a bike everyday. Still another friend drives his car. I don't know anyone who rides the bus, but I've taken it once or twice when my car was in the shop. Worse comes to worst, you can always hop in a taxi. Taking a taxi is expensive here, though, so be prepared for a big fare? not including the tip!

在国外,去餐馆吃饭,打的,理发,等等服务行业,都要给小费(麦当劳之类的快餐店不用给)。小费一般大概占消费额的10%到20%,根据服务质量,消费场所不同来定。一般不低于10%,上限如果服务非常好,食物非常满意,给30-50% 也有可能。

北美英语里很有意思的一个现象是,某一个产品的品牌,用的久了,成了某种商品的名称。比如说,Kleenex 变成了面巾纸(facial tissue)的名称,Q-tips成了棉签(cotton swab)的名称,Scotch tape成了透明胶带(adhesive tape)的名称,Granola bar成了燕麦棒的名称。
  Can I have a Kleenex?

kleenex

Q-tips

Scotch tape

Granola bar

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

收到非盈利组织(non-profit organization)的筹款信,大家学习学习。

To help families, children and youth overcome poverty.

Too many children live in families which lack the necessary resources and support to provide them with a favourable environment and conditions for their full development.

Immigrant families, which are numerous in Centraide’s territory, face additional challenges in integrating into their new community and guiding their children towards academic success.

Too many teenagers leave school without graduating. They are at risk of becoming young adults who will drift by on precarious and poorly paid jobs, and enter a cycle of poverty from which they will find it difficult to help their children escape.

Too many marginalized people are socially excluded and at greater risk than others of finding themselves in a situation of poverty: street kids, seniors living alone, people with disabilities, people with mental health problems, new arrivals, visible minorities.

Because poverty has an impact on people’s life expectancy.

Because during the course of our lives, we may one day find ourselves in a situation of poverty which, although temporary, can have a major impact on us, our families and many aspects of our lives.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

在美国,绝大多数大学的课程都是以字母加数字作为代号,字母代表课程,数字代表级别,数字越大,课程的级别越高。比如MATH209(数学209), CHEM302(化学302),FINA410(金融410)。这就产生出了英语口语中一个很常用的俚语,101 (读作 one o one),意思是某种事情的简单初级介绍,因为一般101 是最低级别的,入门的课程。例如:

--This is Chinese cooking 101. 简单介绍一下中国烹饪。
  --He can teach grilling 101 to us.他可以简单教一下我们怎么烧烤.

chinese cooking

Issues normally mean problems in spoken English.
  --We are having issues with one of our servers.我们的一个服务器出了些问题。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

我每天工作会收到回复很多的email,现在就给大家看看native speakers会犯什么样的错误。很多老外会把their 拼写成there,把you are拼写成your,把it is拼写成its.我再随手找几封email, 直接copy过来,不加任何改动。

What she wants is the money ahead of time so she can pay on the first. –Jack
  If you have any questions or need me for anything please email me your questions or contact me on my cell. --Helen
  I would like for you to do the analysis again this month please. It’s very good practice and I need someone as a backup. –Chris
  You are doing amazing. – Helen
  Wire is being sent when? –Dennis
  Hey Guys,
  As discussed below is the breakdown of budget. It is very important to respect it. I will be getting updates as usual every week to see where our spending is at. If I see that the month is coming to an end you may bust these numbers I may have to tell you to cancel what is left to spend. So please plan carefully. –Dennis

这些邮件如果抠语法,都有问题,but who cares? 大家交流的很畅快。这就是真实世界的英语。如果我去告诉老外,你的拼写不对,你的语法不对,人家肯定会说我,神经病!

当然我写这些并不是想让大家去学,只是想让大家看看真实世界的英语是什么样的,看看英语的多样性,别整天抱着fine, thank you, and you? 还觉得很美。我很赞同李敖说的:语言就是习惯,你觉得是错的,说的用的人多了,就是对的。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

我不禁又想起了当年读书时,英语老师所提出的到底是遵循习惯重要,还是遵守语法规则重要。我的英语老师,Stephen, 他更赞同遵循习惯,因为语言是不断变化演变的,现在的英语跟500年前的早都大不一样了,还能去一直遵守老旧的语法?不过我的另外一位Tutor, Peterson,看法跟他正好相反,认为遵守固有的语法重要。我觉得都有道理,看你怎么选择。Stephen 年轻些,在香港还教过2年英语,可能视野更开阔些;Peterson 是来自美国的老头,看法保守些,也可以理解。怎么说呢,每个人的style 不同吧。

下面我举个简单的很有意思的例子, 你就明白我在说什么了。Everybody should bring his lunch tomorrow. 女权主义者不高兴了,你把女人都放哪里了?好好我改,Everybody should bring their lunch tomorrow. 语言学家不高兴了,Everybody 跟 their 肯定不搭,错!好我再改, Everybody should bring his or her (his/her)lunch tomorrow. (这是现在最符合语法的写法)。作家又不高兴了,his or her 啥玩艺,罗里八索,你不是要女权吗,我给你,Everybody should bring HER lunch tomorrow. 好了吧,满意了吧? 如果你看看现代的作家写作,基本上都是用HER! 反正男人没意见,现在就这么用吧。

所以什么是语法,什么是习惯?到底要遵循哪个,我看都有道理。瞎子摸象只摸到了一部分,而没有看到整体,所以只会说简单的这个对,那个错。好,结论是,对于英语学习者,用 Everybody should bring his or her lunch tomorrow.最符合一般公认的语法,最保险。对于一个更高层次的写作者,一般都用her.

有的人自己英文不够好,满脑子的中式思维,所以看到别人写出的地道的英语反而奇怪了,“这句话怎么不太通啊?怎么怪怪的啊?对不对啊?" 他也解释不了,只好从最拿手的单词和语法下手了,favorite怎么怎么样,recent怎么怎么样,告诉你,你的这些分析都还是典型的中式思维, 也没有分析到点子上。为了验证你的无知,为了确保我在这里说的不误人子弟,我只好又利用我的宝贵的工作时间(其实是老板的时间,哈哈!)去向另一位老外同事确认我写的东西。老外说,It works perfectly here. You can also say: Game of Thrones is my favorite TV show recently. Fifty Shades of Grey is my favorite book recently. No problem at all.

好,我再深挖一下,native speaker都说没问题了,但是这句话完不完美?不完美!即使口语里这么说一点问题没有,语法也没错,但是如果严格抠意思,它还是有一定歧义的,它的意思到底是 my favorite in recent months/years? 还是 recently watched, read, released? 这才是这句话的问题所在,而不是你说的favorite怎么怎么样,recently傍谁谁怎么怎么样。如果100%严格的抠语法,中文英文里包括口语,书面语里自觉不自觉地有歧义的话语太多了。我差点死掉了(我差点没死掉!). I didn’t do anything, 老外强调会说 I didn’t do NOTHING! (The grammar is wrong, but it delivers the meaning perfectly.) 但这不就是语言有意思的地方吗?

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

关于口语

经常有同学问我怎么提高口语,基本上都是说我已经学了这么多年英语,4,6级也过了,为什么口语还是很烂?其实,我在之前的帖子里已经说得很清楚了,没有大量优质的输入作为基础,你怎么可能有优秀的输出?就好像一头奶牛,你什么也不给她吃,或者只吃少量的劣质草料,你怎么能期望她能产出大量优质的牛奶?你就在那里使劲挤阿,使劲挤阿,能挤出什么出来?我们的英语教育都还是我说的语法,翻译,加背诵,跟可理解输入相差甚远。单词是背了一些,语法也学了一些,所以也能懵懵懂懂的看懂一些英文,但是离真正学会英语还有很长一段距离,所以口语不好也很正常吧?更有一些胡说老师,还说提高口语就是要多练,多用,多说,其实就是我说的使劲挤奶,肚里没货,硬挤能挤出来吗?诚然因为大部分中国学生的害羞,紧张,发音不准,大量练习当然是必要的,但输入才是第一。下面我再详细谈谈,希望大家能更明白这个道理。

十多年前,作为一个想学好英语的毛头小伙,我想尽一切办法学习英语,找寻学习英语的最佳方法,最好教材。李阳,当时正是他事业高速发展的时候,当然就成为了我的偶像。后来在广州还参加过一次他的演讲,跟他一起上台大喊英语,满足了一把我的追星梦。疯狂英语的教材,磁带当年对我来说几乎跟圣经一样,当时买的一套学习宝典,我在上面密密麻麻的写满了音标和单词注释。宿舍后面就是一片小树林,我每天早上起床后,和下午都要到那里进行两次疯狂操练和朗读。Ok, 大半年后我发现,自己的确是“敢”说英语了,自己的发音也可能提高了一点,但是,我的口语真正提高了吗?除了说几句喊口号的 “Don’t be shy, just try. Don’t let your country down”, 我觉得自己没什么进步,除了自信心有所提高,各个方面的水平似乎并没有什么长进。虽然有些怀疑这样的方法,但当时自己的英语水平不够和对二语习得理论的缺乏了解,也说不出它到底不对在哪里。同样,英语角一开始我也经常去,不过久了就发现和自己水平差不多的人瞎侃实在是侃不出什么东西来,于是就很少再去了。

直到出国以后,接触到了真正的环境,把音标,背单词,钻研语法之类的东西统统丢掉之后, 才发现自己走到了一条正确的路上。这条路开始时可能坑坑洼洼,充满泥泞,不过走过一段困难时期之后,发现脚下豁然开朗,越走越顺。在国外,我也经常找老外聊天,学习,我发现并不是因为我跟他们通过练习,我的英语水平提高了;而是我从他们的对话中,学习到了真正的英语,然后经过大量的反复刺激之后,形成条件反射之后,在具体的环境下,我自然就可以说出来了。

比如说,某天吃饭,一个女孩说:The fries is very greasy. It has, I don’t know, maybe 800 calories, but it tastes so good. I just can’t stop eating it. 这样的对话听多几遍,我下回聊到健康饮食就可以说:Calorie is only one thing. You need to eat healthy food, such as fruit and vegetables, whole wheat bread, and lean meat. I know most junk food tastes very good but is very unhealthy as well. 还有某同事刚从古巴度假回来。(美国和加拿大人都很喜欢去古巴,多米尼加,牙买加等中美洲国家的海边度假村去度假。)--Hi, dude, how was Cuba? –It was great. We had a lot of fun. The 4-star hotel in the resort was nice and clean. But the food was not amazing, actually it was awful. There was no seasoning at all. 这样的描述听多几遍,下回我就可以用了。I love outdoor activities. If I go on a vacation, I will choose mountain climbing and camping instead of staying in a resort.

当然这个学习过程是漫长而复杂的,可以开始时学一些地道的表达法,说一些简单的句子,后来慢慢尝试说一些复杂的句子,直到可以最后在课堂上作presentation。

我以后又研究过一些更多的二语习得理论,特别是Stephen Kashen的可理解输入的理论之后,才明白,其实大部分英语最后学好的人,都自觉不自觉地遵循了这样一个理论。自己当年学习粤语,其实也很符合这样一个规律,没有学音标也没有背单词。如果在广东待过并把粤语学习的还不错的人,应该会很有体会。(当然粤语是一种方言,也没有英语那么困难,不过道理是一样的。)我下次有空再聊一聊。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Sick: 现在在美国口语里,很多年轻人用sick表示cool, good, or awesome.

The show last night was so sick!
  Your new skateboard is sick!
  It's sick that we get Monday off school.
  Man, that trick was sick.

看看国外的报道:

STOCKHOLM — Chinese writer Mo Yan won the 2012 Nobel prize for literature on Thursday for works which combine “hallucinatory realism” with folk tales, history and contemporary life in China.

Mo, who was once so destitute he ate tree bark and weeds to survive, is the first Chinese national to win the $1.2 million literature prize, awarded by the Swedish Academy.

He said the award made him “overjoyed and terrified”.

Some of his books have been banned as “provocative and vulgar” by Chinese authorities but he has also been criticized as being too close to the Communist Party.

While users of a popular Chinese microblogging site offered their congratulations, dissident artist Ai Weiwei said he disagreed with giving the award to a writer with the “taint of government” about him.

Mo, 57, who grew up in the town of Gaomi in Shandong province in the northeast of the country and whose parents were farmers, sets his works mainly in the land of his birth.

Mo Yan is a pen name which means “Don’t Speak”. His real name is Guan Moye and he was forced to drop out of primary school and herd cattle during China’s Cultural Revolution.

Speaking to the state-run China News Service, Mo said he was happy to have won.

“But I do not think that my winning can be seen as representing anything. I think that China has many outstanding authors, and their great works should also be recognised by the world.

“Next, I’m going to put most of my efforts into creating my new works. I will keep working hard, and I thank everyone. As to whether I go to Sweden to receive the prize, I will wait for word from the organisers about arrangements.”

Peter Englund, head of the Swedish Academy, said Mo was “at home with his dad” when he was told of the award.

“He said he was overjoyed and terrified,” Englund told Swedish television. “He has such a damn unique way of writing. If you read half a page of Mo Yan you immediately recognise it as him.”

The award citation said Mo used a mixture of fantasy and reality, historical and social perspectives to create a world which was reminiscent of the writings of William Faulkner and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

At the same time, he found a “departure point in old Chinese literature and in oral tradition”, the Academy said.

Englund said Mo offers “a unique insight into a unique world in a quite unique manner.”

His style is “a fountain of words and stories and stories within stories, then stories within the stories within the stories and so on. He’s mesmerising,” Englund told Reuters television.

Mo is best known in the West for “Red Sorghum”, which portrayed the hardships endured by farmers in the early years of communist rule and was made in a film directed by Zhang Yimou. His books also include “Big Breasts and Wide Hips” and “The Republic of Wine”.

“My works are Chinese literature, which is part of world literature. They show the life of Chinese people as well as the country’s unique culture and folk customs,” Mo told reporters in his hometown, Xinhua news agency reported.

The last Chinese-born winner was Gao Xingjian in 2000, although he was living in France by that time and had taken French citizenship. His Nobel was not celebrated by the Chinese government.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

我最喜欢的一首英文歌曲,"Hallelujah" (K. D. Lang),跟大家一起分享一下。

I heard there was a secret chord
  That David played, and it pleased the Lord
  But you don't really care for music, do ya?
  It goes like this
  The fourth, the fifth
  The minor fall, the major lift
  The baffled king composing Hallelujah
  Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
  You saw her bathing on the roof
  Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya
  She tied you
  To a kitchen chair
  She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
  And from your lips she drew Hallelujah
  Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Baby I’ve been here before,
  I’ve seen this room and I've walked the floor,
  I used to live alone before I knew ya
  I’ve seen your flag on the marble arch,
  But love is not a victory march,
  It's a cold and it’s a broken hallelujah
  Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Maybe there's a God above,
  But all I’ve ever learnt from love,
  Is how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya,
  It's not a cry that you hear at night,
  It's not someone who's seen the light,
  It's a cold and broken hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

关于发音

有趣的发音和不发音的h

以h开头的单词,有的h是不发音的,例如honour, honest, heir, hour等等。不发音的h 的单词词源基本都来自法语,因为学过法语的朋友都知道,在法语里,h在单词的开头是不发音的。

以h开头的单词,绝大部分的h还是发音的,例如hate, have, home, history, hope等等。发音的h的单词一般来自其他的源头,例如古英语,德语,希腊语,拉丁等等。

还有更好玩的是, 有的词h可以发,可以不发,都对。大部分是因为地方口音,或者习惯,发不发都可以接受。 比如human, huge, herb, humour, h发不发音都对。老外也是有的人发,有的人不发,大家都听得懂。我开始时听到这些h 不发音时也觉得挺怪,不过听得多了,就习惯了。

有趣的wh

Wh 里的h, (What, which, while, whale, white 等等)现在很多人都已经不发了,只发w的音了;不过在少数地方,如苏格兰,爱尔兰,美国东南部,h还是可以听到, 发成 /hw?t/, /hw?t?/等等。记得当年听美国之音的慢速英语,大部分老爷爷老奶奶级别的播音员,都还发 h这个音,听起来很有意思,感觉像是“哗哗”的。Wh 里的h发音这个现象,基本来自于古代英语,因为在古代英语里,单词里的几乎是每一个字母的音都要发的。随着英语的演变,Wh 里的h 的这个音慢慢地就消失了,很多人也都不再发这个音了。不过,有的地方,如我上面说的,却保留了这个音,所以偶尔还能听得到,给现代英语又增添了些许趣味。大家还记得初中英语课本里的怀特先生(Mr. White)吗?当年翻译的老先生肯定是听了h发音的读音吧?哈哈。

不过wh也有一个例外,就是在o 之前,比如 who, whole, whore, whose, wh 的音却演变成了h, 没有w这个音了。英语的发音好玩吗?

现在跟大家聊聊发音。我没有钻研过英式发音,所以不敢在这里妄言,不过对美音还是比较熟悉的,可以多跟大家交流交流。美式发音相对于英式来说,没有那么多的地方方言,相对来说比较统一一些。在加拿大和美国,大部分人的英语口音都差不多,没有多大差别。(除了少数地方,如美国南部,东北部,加拿大的魁北克法裔人,英语口音会特别一些,其余大部分人的口音都大致相同。)

想要学好发音,要花费很多的时间去听,跟读,模仿,纠错,所以不是看一两本音标书就可以学好的了。一个人的模仿能力很大程度上决定了他是否能比较快的学好发音。这方面小孩子,还有说话没有严重地方方言口音的人有一定优势。我以前教过的小孩子有能很地道地模仿英式英语的。反之有些成人,方言口音比较重,说出来的英语南腔北调的,湖南音,四川音,东北音,都很有意思。大家看看网上东北小伙模仿方言说英语,就是这些有趣的现象。 我的建议是,找一两本好的发音教材听听看看,掌握一下发音规律就可以了,不要死抠音标学习,音标只是发音学习的一小部分,远不是全部。更极端地说,音标学不学也没什么太大用。我在加拿大上学,绝大多数老外都不知道还有国际音标(IPA, International Phonetic Alphabet)这个东东,没有一个人会看国际音标,另外只有少数英语老师会看某种美式音标。

schwa 弱化元音 /?/

schwa弱化元音可以说是美式英语里非常重要的一个读音现象。掌握这个规则对听懂美式英语,学好美式发音有很大的帮助。弱化元音的基本规则是:
  1.所有的元音都可以弱化成/?/。
  2.只有在非重读音节里的元音才能弱化成/?/。重读音节里的元音绝大多数不弱化成/?/;如果一个单词在句子里要强调重读,一般也不弱化成/?/。

我举几个例子,大家就明白了。Love /l?v/, 可以弱化读成/l?v/; Believe, /b??liv/,可以弱化读成/b??liv /; Canada可以弱化读成/?k?n?d?/; America可以弱化读成/??m?r?k?/。大家注意到了吗?所有的非重读音节里的元音,都可能被弱化读成/?/。在Canada 和America 这两个单词里, 除了重读音节里的元音,其他音节里的所有元音都被弱化读成/?/。这在美语里非常普遍,你如果留心听一下,就会发现这个规律。

还有就是如果这个单词在句子里要强调重读,一般也不弱化成/?/。比如说,我说:I love what I am doing. 我如果不想强调love,这个love就可以读成/l?v/。 但是如果在一个流星雨的晚上,你含情脉脉地看着你的爱人,温柔而且坚定地对他/她说:I LOVE you! 这个时候你最好发成 I /l?v/ you! Got it? 还有我说: I believe that LiangNv is a prick. 我不强调believe, 就可以读成/b??liv /。 但是如果是奥巴马在竞选陈词时说:I BELIEVE, “Together, we can make a change”! 这个时候,他就不会弱化,而是读作/b??liv/!大家明白了吗?

当然不是所有的人,所有的时候,都会这么发音;少数人不这么弱化,也不足为奇。不过掌握这个规律,你可以更好地听懂美音,而且你说出来的美音也更地道,更流畅。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

1.真实的native speaker的英语听得还不够,要继续多听。我在之前的帖子里说过,现实生活中的老外说的英语,跟教材上,甚至跟电影电视都有不小的差距。每个人的发音,口齿,口音,说话方式,受教育程度都不一样,说出来的英语也大不相同;况且普通人也不是播音员和演员,没有受过专门的演讲训练,所以说出来的英语五花八门,有的人说得很清晰易懂,有的人说话含含糊糊,半天也听不清说得什么。我在国外呆得久了,深有体会。解决办法只有多听,没有什么太好的办法,所以我建议多看reality show 和 talk show,这是最接近日常普通人说的英语了。我最近在看big brother, 非常好,不知道你能不能在国内下载看到。从这点来说,我不建议看电影电视,没有reality show 和 talk show好,实在要看,(绝望主妇)还稍微好些,比较接近日常口语。
  2.知识面还不太够。要跟老外有广泛的并且深入的交谈,没有足够的知识面肯定是不够的,对吗?大概对时事,政治,经济,工作,地理,流行文化,饮食,旅游,小说,电影,音乐,游戏,体育,等等都要有一定的了解吧?不然跟老外聊什么?诚然没有任何一个人会对所有话题都能有足够深入的了解,但是要有足够的知识面。所以说学无止境。像我基本可以跟老外聊绝大部分话题,除了体育。我不爱看体育节目,对体育也知之甚少,像加拿大人喜欢的冰球,美国人喜欢的橄榄球,棒球,我基本不懂,在这方面就跟他们没什么好聊的了。想要跟他们聊得好,就得扩大知识面,一般年轻人喜欢的东西,中外没什么太大区别,流行文化,服装时尚,明星八卦,流行音乐,电影电视,小说,旅游美食等等,平时注意多学习这些方面的词汇和口语,跟他们就有得聊了。
  3.最后,英语水平还有待进一步提高,还要继续努力学习,在学习中扩大词汇量。如果有兴趣可以听听我推荐的eslpod.com的教材,很不错。还有如果你想训练听力,建议你找一个合适的教材练一练听写,对提高听力有一定的帮助。对听得少的人,听写是一个很好的训练方法。还有就是重复一下我说的可理解输入,你学习的材料(英语节目)不能太难,要能听懂大部分最好。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

政治上正确1

PC (politically correct 政治上正确)是近年来英语中非常重要的,也很有意思的一个变化现象(跟中国人学的?:)在正式的书面的英语中,容易引起歧视,或者offensive 的语言,很多都渐渐被一些中性的词汇代替了。虽然口语中还是会听到,但是在报纸杂志,电影电视,还有一些其他正式场合,已经很少看到听到了。

比如说凡是带有man 的关于职业的单词,很多都被一些其他词汇取代了。Policeman被police officer取代, spokesman被spokesperson取代, anchorman被anchorperson取代, fireman被fire fighter取代, salesman 被sales person/rep/clerk取代, steward and stewardess 被flight attendant取代, chairman 被chairperson or chair取代, 大家在听新闻时,阅读文章时,都经常会碰到。

政治上正确2

还有很多侮辱性的语言,带有种族歧视的语言,都被一些更中性的语言代替了。Blind 被visually impaired取代, deaf 被hearing impaired取代, retarded 被intellectually disabled取代,残疾人叫做people with disabilities。在正式语言中,老外也非常小心不要使用有种族歧视性的语言。比如黑人的礼貌的说法是African Americans, Black people 和 Negro都是不好的叫法 (还记得成龙在rush hour 2 里叫黑人nigger被人扁的情节吗?黑人朋友之间互相可以叫nigger,别人可不能乱叫!)。白人的礼貌的说法一般是Caucasians, white people是不太礼貌的叫法。Indians, 第一容易跟印度人混淆,第二不礼貌,所以美国把印第安人叫做Native Americans, 加拿大把印第安人叫做 First Nations people。爱斯基摩人eskimos 也是不礼貌的叫法,现在都叫做Inuits(因纽特人) 。拉美裔人(包括墨西哥人和其他中南美洲人)叫做latinos. Visible minority(少数族裔)用来指所有非白种人。比如说在有的招聘广告上,有的雇主会礼貌的问你:Are you a member of a visible minority group? (你是少数族裔吗/非白人吗?)

Happy studying!

现在英语口语中另一个很有趣的现象就是大家经常会把特殊疑问句的疑问词放在最后,每天都可以听到看到。

You need the money for what?
  You dated who last night?
  The payment will be processed when?
  虽然从语法上来说它们不对,但是省事,好用,还可以强调(句尾的疑问词强调重读),所以老外在口语里,电子邮件里,等等不太正式的场合,天天都用。

我喝高了,不能说成I am high. I am high 的意思是嗑药嗑high了。喝高了可以说成 I am smashed/hammered/wasted/shitfaced。都表示喝得不省人事。: )