斯坦福 IT

终极英语学习法 Ultimate English Learning Method(zt)

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: 终极英语学习法 Ultimate English Learning Method(zt)

ESLPodcast 20 - Buying a New Computer

My computer has been acting up on me. It's a pretty old model, and I need to replace it. So I decided to call up my friend Kevin to ask for his two cents. Kevin is a computer whiz. He knows PC really well since he worked on them for years, but in his heart of hearts, he is a big Mac fan. So, I thought he would be good person to ask.

I have always used a PC. I do mostly word processing so I don't need anything fancy. But, I see people I know doing cool things with photos and video, so I’d like to take a crack at some new programs in the future.

Well, I called up Kevin to tell him what I needed. He immediately started throwing out specs: "You need at least a 2 Gigahertz processor and 1 Gig of memory, and make sure it has a writable DVD drive." "Whoa," I said. "All of that is way over my head. Let's back up for a minute." Then he laughed and said he had gotten carried away. "Okay," he said. "Let's start at the beginning. Now, the processor determines how easily and how fast you can use the programs on your computer. Got that?" I said that I did. Then he continued, "How much RAM memory you have is very important, too. Your computer will go faster the more you have. So, I recommend getting at least 1 Gigabyte of RAM memory." "I think I'm following you so far," I said. "Great," he said. Another thing you want is a drive that handles both CDs and DVDs. Some drives can just read DVDs and some can record onto blank ones. If you want to burn your own videos, you'll want a writable DVD drive. Remember though, that's just the computer itself. Don't forget that you'll need a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, and speakers."

"OK," I said. "I think I've got all that. Now, here's the burning question: Mac or PC?

He said: "Now that's a whole different thing. Do you have a couple of hours?"

No problem.

The Great Courses (by TTC, The Teaching Company)

The Great Courses也是非常好的更进一步学习英语的教材。跟大学的公开课类似,课程涵盖各类学科的内容。课程的难度大概是大学基础课程的难度,此外他们也有一些高中高年级的课程。The Great Courses相对于大学公开课来说,难度要稍微小一些,而且还有很多的非学术的,更好玩的兴趣课程,比如品酒,演讲,人际关系,健康生活之类的课程, 有兴趣的同学可以在电驴, torrent等等下载网站搜索一下,下来听听看看, 我个人感觉非常不错。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

看看英式英语和美式英语在一些叫法上的不同:

汽车前盖 BrE. bonnet AmE. hood
  药店/杂货店 BrE. chemist's shop AmE. drugstore, pharmacy
  薯条 BrE. chips AmE. fries, French fries
  垃圾桶 BrE. dustbin AmE. garbage can, trash can
  公寓 BrE. flat AmE. apartment,studio
  主街 BrE. high street AmE. main street
  电梯 BrE. lift AmE. elevator
  高速公路 BrE. motorway AmE. freeway, expressway
  人行道 BrE. pavement AmE. sidewalk
  邮政编码 BrE. postcode AmE. zip code
  垃圾 BrE. rubbish AmE. garbage, trash
  地铁 BrE. tube AmE. subway

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Want to live in Hong Kong?

My aunty, who is a scientist, lives in Sydney of Australia. She sort of has mysophobia which is a morbid fear of getting dirty. She is the kind of person who gets upset when you put your foot even with socks on her furniture. Also, she is a vegetarian because she thinks eating vegetable is healthy. Being a vegetarian, lots of money can be saved from buying meat. As a shopaholic, she spends most of her money on fashion, buying all those famous brands you can name. If she plans to move to my city, Hong Kong to live, she will definitely have things to like and dislike about it.

Hong Kong is a ‘Shopping Paradise’. Trendy clothes can be bought in the streets of Mong Kok such as Ladies Street and Garden Street. People can bargain with the shopkeeper even when the clothes are already cheap to start with. I think my aunty will find this interesting and invigorating. Although there are no brand names here, she can choose a large variety of clothes such as punk shirts and sassy leggings which save her a lot of money when compared to famous brands. However, if she still insists to buy brand names, she can to go to the Canton Road of Tsim Sha Tsui which is occupied by well-known international brand names such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Prada. The shops in Sydney close at five in the afternoon. Unlike Sydney, some shops even opens overnight in Hong Kong. Umpteen people are still wandering on the streets well into the night.

Furthermore, there are many vegetarians’ restaurants for people believing in Buddhism. Vegetarian dishes are often made to resemble the appearance of real meat to make it more appealing to the general public. For example, cleverly disguised dry bean curds can reassemble fish and spare ribs. I believe my aunty will love it as she has never tried this kind of food before. To me, the food tastes special in a healthy way.

In addition, it is very convenient in Hong Kong with highly developed transportation system. With the small size of Hong Kong, it is easy and quick access to any place with transportation such as buses and MTR. In Sydney, people have to wait for a long time for a bus. Therefore, they have their own cars and pay for expensive petrol, car insurances and other associated expenses. Hence, my aunty will be ecstatic when she finds out how efficient and time-saving the public transport is in Hong Kong.

As you can see, Hong Kong seems to be a suitable place for my aunty to live. However, she might not be able to ignore its flaws.

To start with, Hong Kong is a very crowded place. Everywhere you go, you can see lots of people around. It is difficult to find a place to rest and have your own private space. It feels like every little thing is monitored through the eyes of people and much pressure begins to build up inside your body. She might find it hard to get used to it and get stressed out.

Moreover, the air in Hong Kong is not as fresh as Sydney’s. Places like Central and Causeway Bay are popular in Hong Kong; however, the air quality is unfavorable over there due to the wall effects of closely packed high-rise buildings and the smoke emissions of many vehicles. Air seems to stifle and torment you. Since my aunty hates getting dirty from smelly smoke, she might hate this. Furthermore, she cannot see the azure color of the sky anymore like in Sydney.

Finally, the accommodations in Hong Kong are very expensive. With the same amount of money, my aunty can only get the apartment half the size in Hong Kong. The most expensive ones are clustered in Soho and Lan Kwai Fong. Despite very high rents, the flats are not even large in these parts of Hong Kong. Only a few rich people can get a flat in Hong Kong as big as a house in Australia.

In conclusion, I am not sure whether or not she wants to live in Hong Kong. However, as a resident in Hong Kong for sixteen years, I like the way Hong Kong is and hopes Hong Kong will stay in the same way as it always has been. In this world, no place is perfect to live. My aunty may find the advantages of living in Hong Kong outweigh the disadvantages and a welcome change to her life style.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

You can learn many useful words and expressions from above essay.

shopaholic 购物狂, trendy clothes 潮服, designer brands 名牌, shopping paradise 购物天堂, vegetarian dishes 素食, highly developed transportation system 高度发达的交通系统, public transport 公共交通, air quality 空气质量, high-rise buildings 高层建筑, accommodation/housing 住宿.

You can learn many useful words and expressions from above essay.

shopaholic 购物狂, trendy clothes 潮服, designer brands 名牌, shopping paradise 购物天堂, vegetarian dishes 素食, highly developed transportation system 高度发达的交通系统, public transport 公共交通,air quality 空气质量, high-rise buildings 高层建筑, accommodation/housing 住宿.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

ESLPodcast 38 - Food for the Barbecue

I moved into the new apartment last month and decided to invite a few friends over for a house-warming party. I didn't want to spend the day cooking, so I decided to have a barbeque. The food would be easy to prepare and I could cook it when my friends got here. But first, I had to go get a few things at the supermarket.

I got to the store and got a cart. I started out in the meat department. It wouldn't be a barbeque without hamburgers so I bought some ground beef. I also picked up some chicken breasts and hot dogs. I skipped the seafood counter since I didn't want to bother with fish.

Then, I was off to the produce department. I got some corn on the cob and a lot of vegetables for grilling for my friends who are vegetarians. Then, I was off to the bakery section. I needed buns for the hamburgers and hot dogs, and I also bought some cookies for dessert.

Then, I was almost done. I went down each aisle looking for the condiments-- the ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. And, just before wrapping things up, I went to the liquor department and got some beer, wine, and soda. Nearly everyone I invited asked if they could bring something for the party and but I told them no. I would have plenty of food and drink.

That was it. I stood in line at the check-out stand, staring at the magazine rack full of tabloids, until the cashier rang me up. The shopping went off without a hitch. Now, all I have to do is clean my messy apartment. That's the hard part.

ESLPodcast 38 - Food for the Barbecue

house-warming party 乔迁新居party
  cart 购物小推车
  meat department 肉食部
  ground beef 牛肉馅, chicken breasts 鸡胸
  produce department 生鲜蔬果部
  corn on the cob玉米棒
  bakery section面包西点部
  condiments调味品
  liquor department酒水部
  tabloid八卦杂志

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

ESLPodcast 39 - Reality T.V.

It's hard to watch TV these days without seeing reality shows. Some nights, it's hard to find a scripted drama to watch. There are so many different kinds of reality shows, too. The most popular one in the U.S. has been the "American Idol" show. This is a singing competition where amateurs try to impress the judges and the audience calls in to vote off a contestant each week. The last person left standing gets a recording contract. I think many countries now have a reality show like this. This show starts its fourth season this year and I think it'll be more popular then ever.

Another popular reality show is "Big Brother." In this show, a group of people live together in the same house for about 15 weeks. They're not allowed to leave and they can't have visitors. The people chosen to live in the house are usually very different. This way, there is sure to be a lot of conflict. Some people form alliances and other people try to go it alone. The contestants compete in games and each week, the other contestants vote off one person from the show. Why would anyone want to be on "Big Brother?" The answer is easy: money. The last person remaining gets a huge prize- in the U.S. show, a half a million dollars. Even I'd live in a house full of strangers for that kind of cash .

ESLPodcast 37 - Buying a Pet

My niece is turning 8 next week and I decided to buy her a new pet. She had been asking her parents for a pet for a long time. But, they were worried about taking care of a pet. I told them I would go to the pet store to see if I could find a pet that wouldn't be too much of a bother.

I walked into a big pet store and looked around. I saw cages with dogs and cats. There were also bird cages with birds of every color. I even saw some snakes!

I saw a sales clerk and asked him for help. I told him that I was looking for a pet that was easy to take care of. He suggested a cat or a kitten. But, I told him that my niece was allergic to cats. Then, he suggested a puppy. I walked over to the rows of dog kennels and asked the clerk how often they needed to be walked. He said that usually, they needed to be taken out three to five times a day. That was much too much work, I told him.

He then showed me some birds, including a parrot. Then, I asked him how often the cages had to be cleaned, and when he told me, I nixed that idea.

Finally, he took me to the back of the store. I have the perfect pet for you, he said. I looked around and saw acquariums full of fish. There were about 20 different kinds. The clerk said that they were very easy to take care of. With the right equipment, you don't have to clean the tank regulary and all you have to do is feed the fish. That was it! The perfect solution.

The next time I visited my niece, she told me she loved her fish. She had named them all. She even named one after me. It was called "Jeffish." Get it? Now, she's happy and so are her parents. Just before I left, my niece asked me: When can we go to Disneyland ?

Ah, the work of an uncle is never done.

There are two typos in previous post. The correct spellings should be “aquariums” and “regularly”. Sorry about that.

too much of a bother麻烦
  pet store宠物店
  be allergic to对…过敏
  dog kennel狗舍
  aquarium 水族箱
  perfect solution完美的解决方案

reality shows 真人秀
  singing competition 演唱比赛
  audience 观众
  contestant 参赛者
  to vote off 投票选出局

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

不要想着‘学’英语,要从心里上把英语当成自己的母语,就是交流的手段,脱嘴而出,别多想,千万别多想,千万别‘三思而后说’