大家一起读原著

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Rebecca Daphne du Maurier

英国女作家达夫妮 - 杜穆里埃(Daphnedu Maurier 1907-1990)生前曾是英国皇家文学会会员,写过十七部长篇小说以及几十种其他体裁的文学作品,一九六九年被授予大英帝国贵妇勋章。她厌恶城市生活,长期住在英国西南部大西洋沿岸的康沃尔郡,她的不少作品即以此都的社会习俗与风土人情为主题或背景,故有“康沃尔小说”之称。

达夫妮 - 杜穆里埃受十九世纪以神秘、恐怖等为主要特点的哥特派小说影响较深,同时亦曾研究并刻仿勃朗特姐妹的小说创作手法,因此,“康沃尔小说”大多情节比较曲折,人物(特别是女主人公)刻画比较细腻,在渲染神秘气氛的同时,夹杂着带有宿命论色彩的感伤主义。

《蝴蝶梦》原名《吕蓓卡》,是达夫妮 - 杜穆里埃的成名作,发表于一九三八年,已被译成二十多种文字,再版重印四十多次,并被改编搬上银幕,由擅长饰演莎士比亚笔下角色的名演员劳伦斯 - 奥利维尔爵士主演男主角。该片上映以来久盛不衰。

达夫妮 - 杜穆里埃在本书中成功地塑造了一个颇富神秘色彩的女性吕蓓卡的形象,此人于小说开始时即已死去,除在倒叙段落中被间接提到外,从未在书中出现,但却时时处处音容宛在,并能通过其忠仆、情夫等继续控制曼陀丽庄园直至最后将这个庄园烧毁。小说中另一女性,即以故事叙述者身分出现的第一人称,虽是喜怒哀乐俱全的活人,实际上却处处起着烘托吕蓓卡的作用,作者这种以“实有”陪衬“虚无”的手法颇为别致。

值得注意的是,作者通过刻画吕蓓卡那种放浪形骸之外的腐化生活,以及她与德温特的畸形婚姻,对英国上层社会中的享乐至上、尔虞我诈、穷奢极侈、势利伪善等现象作了生动的揭露。

作者还通过情景交融的手法比较成功地渲染了两种气氛:一方面是缠绵悱恻的怀乡忆旧,另一方面是阴森压抑的绝望恐怖。这双重气氛互相交叠渗透,加之全书悬念不断,使本书成为一部多年畅销不衰的浪漫主义小说。

最后编辑: 2017-01-25
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
[FONT=宋体]Chapter one

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.

It seemed to me I stood by the iron gate leading to the drive, and for a while I could not enter, for the way was barred to me.

There was a padlock and chain upon the gate.

I called in my dream to the lodge-keeper, and had no answer, and peering closer through the rusted spokes of the gate I saw that the lodge was uninhabited.

No smoke came from the chimney, and the little lattice windows gaped forlorn.

Then, like all dreamers, I was possessed of a sudden with supernatural powers and passed like a spirit through the barrier before me.

The drive wound away in front of me, twisting and turning as it had always done, but as I advanced I was aware that a change had come upon it; it was narrow and unkempt, not the drive that we had known.

At first I was puzzled and did not understand, and it was only when I bent my head to avoid the low swinging branch of a tree that I realized what had happened.

Nature had come into her own again and, little by little, in her stealthy, insidious way had encroached upon the drive with long, tenacious fingers.

The woods, always a menace even in the past, had triumphed in the end.

They crowded, dark and uncontrolled, to the borders of the drive.

The beeches with white, naked limbs leant close to one another, their branches intermingled in a strange embrace, making a vault above my head like the archway of a church.

And there were other trees as well, trees that I did not recognize, squat oaks and tortured elms that straggled cheek by jowl with the beeches, and had thrust themselves out of the quiet earth, along with monster shrubs and plants, none of which I remembered.

The drive was a ribbon now, a thread of its former self, with gravel surface gone, and choked with grass and moss.

The trees had thrown out low branches, making an impediment to progress; the gnarled roots looked like skeleton claws.

Scattered here and again amongst this jungle growth I would recognize shrubs that had been landmarks in our time, things of culture and grace, hydrangeas whose blue heads had been famous.

No hand had checked their progress, and they had gone native now, rearing to monster height without a bloom, black and ugly as the nameless parasites that grew beside them.

昨晚,我梦见自己又回到了曼陀丽庄园。恍惚中,我站在那扇通往车道的大铁门前,好一会儿被挡在门外进不去。铁门上挂着把大锁,还系了根铁链。我在梦里大声叫唤看门人,却没人答应。于是我就凑近身子,隔着门上生锈的铁条朝里张望,这才明白曼陀丽已是座阒寂无人的空宅。
烟囱不再飘起袅袅青烟。一扇扇小花格窗凄凉地洞开着。这时,我突然像所有的梦中人一样,不知从哪儿获得了超自然的神力,幽灵般飘过面前的障碍物。车道在我眼前伸展开去,婉蜒曲折,依稀如旧。但是待我向前走去,就觉察到车道已起了变化:它显得又狭窄又荒僻,不再是我们熟悉的那个模样。我一时感到迷惑不解,但当我低下头去避开一根低垂摇曳的树枝时,才发现了变化的来由。原来自然界已恢复了本来的面目,渐渐把她细长的手指顽强而偷偷摸摸地伸到车道上来了。即使在过去,树林对车道来说,也始终是个威胁,如今则终于赢得胜利,黑压压势不可挡地向着车道两侧边沿逼近。榉树伸开赤裸的白色肢体,互相紧紧偎依,枝条交叉错杂,形成奇特的拥抱,在我头顶构成一个形似教堂拱道的穹隆。这里还长有许多别的树木,有些我叫不出名字,还有些低矮的橡树和翘曲的榆树,都同榉树盘根错节地纠结在一起。橡树、榆树,还有巨怪似的灌木丛以及其他一些草木,就这么纷列在这块静谧的土地上,全然不是我记忆中的景象。
车道已变成一条细带,与过去比,简直成了一根线!路面的沙砾层已不知去向,只见密密的一片杂草和青苔。树枝倒垂下来,阻挡着我的去路,节瘤毕露的根部活像骷髅的魔爪。在这片荒凉芜秽的林莽中间,时而也还能认出一些灌木丛,那是当年我们居住时的标志,是人工栽培和雅趣的产物。如紫阳,它的花穗曾经颇负盛名,但如今因为无人修剪照拂,也成了野生植物,枝干高得出奇,却开不出一朵花来,又黑又丑,与左近那些无名的草木没有什么两样。
[/FONT]

[FONT=宋体]On and on, now east now west, wound the poor thread that once had been our drive.

Sometimes I thought it lost, but it appeared again, beneath a fallen tree perhaps, or struggling on the other side of a muddied ditch created by the winter rains.

I had not thought the way so long.

Surely the miles had multiplied, even as the trees had done, and this path led but to a labyrinth, some choked wilderness, and not to the house at all.

I came upon it suddenly; the approach masked by the unnatural growth of a vast shrub that spread in all directions, and I stood, my heart thumping in my breast, the strange prick of tears behind my eyes.

There was Manderley, our Manderley, secretive and silent as it had always been, the grey stone shining in the moonlight of my dream, the mullioned windows reflecting the green lawns and the terrace.

Time could not wreck the perfect symmetry of those walls, nor the site itself, a jewel in the hollow of a hand.

The terrace sloped to the lawns, and the lawns stretched to the sea, and turning I could see the sheet of silver placid under the moon, like a lake undisturbed by wind or storm.

No waves would come to ruffle this dream water, and no bulk of cloud, wind-driven from the west, obscure the clarity of this pale sky. I turned again to the house, and though it stood inviolate, untouched, as though we ourselves had left but yesterday, I saw that the garden had obeyed the jungle law, even as the woods had done.

The rhododendrons stood fifty feet high, twisted and entwined with bracken, and they had entered into alien marriage with a host of nameless shrubs, poor, bastard things that clung about their roots as though conscious of their spurious origin.

A lilac had mated with a copper beech, and to bind them yet more closely to one another the malevolent ivy, always an enemy to grace, had thrown her tendrils about the pair and made them prisoners.

Ivy held prior place in this lost garden, the long strands crept across the lawns, and soon would encroach upon the house itself.

There was another plant too, some half-breed from the woods, whose seed had been scattered long ago beneath the trees and then forgotten, and now, marching in unison with the ivy, thrust its ugly form like a giant rhubarb towards the soft grass where the daffodils had blown.

Nettles were everywhere, the vanguard of the army.

They choked the terrace, they sprawled about the paths, they leant, vulgar and lanky, against the very windows of the house.

They made indifferent sentinels, for in many places their ranks had been broken by the rhubarb plant, and they lay with crumpled heads and listless stems, making a pathway for the rabbits.

I left the drive and went on to the terrace, for the nettles were no barrier to me, a dreamer.

I walked enchanted, and nothing held me back. Moonlight can play odd tricks upon the fancy, even upon a dreamer's fancy.

As I stood there, hushed and still, I could swear that the house was not an empty shell but lived and breathed as it had lived before.

Light came from the windows, the curtains blew softly in the night air, and there, in the library, the door would stand half open as we had left it, with my handkerchief on the table beside the bowl of autumn roses.

The room would bear witness to our presence.

The little heap of library books marked ready to return, and the discarded copy of The Times.

Ashtrays, with the stub of a cigarette; cushions, with the imprint of our heads upon them, lolling in the chairs; the charred embers of our log fire still smouldering against the morning.

And Jasper, dear Jasper, with his soulful eyes and great, sagging jowl, would be stretched upon the floor, his tail a-thump when he heard his master's footsteps.

A cloud, hitherto unseen, came upon the moon, and hovered an instant like a dark hand before a face.

The illusion went with it, and the lights in the windows were extinguished.

I looked upon a desolate shell, soulless at last, unhaunted, with no whisper of the past about its staring walls.

The house was a sepulchre, our fear and suffering lay buried in the ruins.

There would be no resurrection.

When I thought of Manderley in my waking hours I would not be bitter.

I should think of it as it might have been, could I have lived there without fear.

I should remember the rose-garden in summer, and the birds that sang at dawn.

Tea under the chestnut tree, and the murmur of the sea coming up to us from the lawns below.

I would think of the blown lilac, and the Happy Valley. These things were permanent, they could not be dissolved.

They were memories that cannot hurt.

All this I resolved in my dream, while the clouds lay across the face of the moon, for like most sleepers I knew that I dreamed.

In reality I lay many hundred miles away in an alien land, and would wake, before many seconds had passed, in the bare little hotel bedroom, comforting in its very lack of atmosphere.

I would sigh a moment, stretch myself and turn, and opening my eyes, be bewildered at that glittering sun, that hard, clean sky, so different from the soft moonlight of my dream.

The day would lie before us both, long no doubt, and uneventful, but fraught with a certain stillness, a dear tranquillity we had not known before.

We would not talk of Manderley, I would not tell my dream.

For Manderley was ours no longer.

Manderley was no more.

忽而东,忽而西,这条可怜的细线歪歪扭扭地向前伸展。而它一度就是我们的车道啊!有时我以为它到头了,不料它又从一棵倒在地上的死树底下钻出,或是在一道由冬日绵雨积成的泥泞小沟的那头挣扎着露出头来。我从未觉得道儿竟这么长,那距离想必是不断成倍延伸,就像树木成倍往高处长去一样。车道似乎根本不通向宅子,而是引入一片迷津,通向一片混饨杂乱的荒野。突然间,我一眼看到了那宅子,宅前的通道被一大簇乱生乱长的异样灌木覆盖了。我仁立着,心儿在胸中怦怦剧跳;眼眶里泪花滚动,带来一阵异样的痛楚。
这就是曼陀丽!我们的曼陀丽故居!还是和过去一样的隐僻、静谧。灰色的砖石在梦境的月光里显得白惨惨的,嵌有竖框的窗子映着绿草坪和屋前平台。时光的流逝,丝毫无损于围墙的完美对称,也无损于宅基本身,整个宅子宛如手掌心里的一颗明珠。
平台斜连草地,草地一直伸向大海。一转身,我看见那一泓银色的海水,犹如风平浪静时明镜般的湖面,静静地任月光爱抚。没有波浪会使这梦之水粼粼荡漾,也不见云块被西风吹来,遮掩这清朗惨白的夜空。
我又转身面向屋子。尽管它屹然挺立,一副神圣不可侵犯的神态,仿佛我们昨天刚刚离开,谁也没敢来碰它一下,但我发现庭园也和林子一样,服从了丛林法则。石南竟高达一百五十码,它们与羊齿绞曲缠绕在一起,还和一大簇无名的灌木胡乱交配。这些杂种灌木,紧紧地依傍着石甫的根部,似乎是意识到自己出身的卑贱。一棵紫丁香与铜榉长到一块儿去了,而那永远与优雅为敌的常青藤,还恶毒地伸出弯曲的蔓须,把这对伙伴更紧地卷绕起来,使它们沦为俘虏。在这无人照管的弃园里,常青藤占着最突出的地位,一股股、一绞纹的长藤爬过草地,眼看就要侵入屋子。此外还有一种原来生长在林中的杂交植物,它的种子很久前散落在树底下,接着也就被人遗忘了,如今它却和常青藤齐头并进,像大黄草似的,把自己丑陋的身子挺向曾经盛开过水仙花的柔软的草地。
到处可以看到荨麻,它们可以算是入侵大军的先头部队。它们盖满平台,乱七八槽地拥塞着走道,还把它粗俗细长的身子斜靠在屋子的窗棂上。它们是些很差劲的步哨,因为在好些地方,它们的队伍被大黄草突破,就耷拉脑袋,没精打采地伸着躯于,成了野兔出没的处所。我离开车道,走向平台。荨麻拦不住我,任何东西都拦不住我,因为梦中人走路是有法术的。
月光能给人造成奇异的幻觉,即使对梦中人也不例外。我肃然站在宅子前,竟断定它不是一个空洞的躯壳,而像过去那样是有生命的、在呼吸着的活物。
窗户里透出灯光,窗帷在夜风中微微拂动。藏书室里,门半开着,那是我们出去时忘了随手带上。我的手绢还留在桌子上,在一瓶秋玫瑰的旁边。
藏书室里处处留着我们尚未离去的印记:一小堆标有“待归还”记号的图书馆藏书;随手丢在一边的《泰晤士报》;烟灰缸里的一段烟蒂;歪歪斜斜倒在椅子上的枕垫,上边还印着我俩并头倚靠的痕迹;壁炉里炭火的余烬还在晨曦中吐着缕缕青烟;而杰斯珀,爱犬杰斯珀,就躺在地板上,眼睛充满着灵性,肥大的颈部下垂着,尾巴拍搭拍搭摇个不停,那是因为它听见了主人的脚步声。
我一直没注意到,一朵乌云已经遮没了月亮。乌云有好一阵子徘徊不去,就像一只黑手遮住了脸庞。顿时,幻觉消失了,窗户的灯光也一齐熄灭。我面前的屋子终于又成了荒凉的空壳,没有灵魂,也无人进出。在那虎视眈眈的大墙边,再也听不到往事的细声碎语。
曼陀丽是座坟墓,我们的恐惧和苦难都深埋在它的废墟之中。这一切再也不能死而复苏。我醒着的时候想到曼陀丽庄园,从不觉得难过。
要是我曾在那儿无忧无虑地生活,说不定我还会就事论事地回想起那儿美好的一切:夏日的玫瑰园,拂晓时分的鸟语,栗子树下的午茶,还有草地那边传来的阵阵涛声。
我还会想到盛开的紫丁香,惦念起“幸福谷”。这一切都是永恒的,不可能像烟云般消散。这些回忆按理是不会惹人伤感的。月亮仍被乌云遮盖着。我虽在梦境之中,却清醒地想到了上面这一切,因为像所有梦中人一样,我知道自己是在做梦。事实上,我是躺在数百英里外的异国土地上,过不了几秒钟就要醒过来,发现自己睡在旅馆空荡荡的小房间里,没有任何特别的气氛,但也正因为如此,才令人感到舒坦释然。
我会叹一口气,伸个懒腰,转过身子,睁开眼睛,迷惘地看看那耀眼的阳光和冷漠洁净的天空,这与梦中幽柔的月光是多么不同!白昼横在我俩前头,无疑既漫长又单调,同时却充满某种珍贵的平静感。这是我俩以前不曾体会过的。不,我们不会谈起曼陀丽,我可不愿讲述我的梦境,因为曼陀丽不再为我们所有,曼陀丽不复存在了!
[/FONT]

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
有人感觉生词不多的吗?这种经典原著用词特别文雅讲究,读起来需要扩充词汇量。最近在看《LOST HORIZON 〉, 也是生词狂多,但 那种英国式的随处可见的幽默和不动声色的优雅很吸引人读下去。

争取跟着楼主每天一章:wdb10:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
[FONT=宋体]Chapter two

We can never go back again, that much is certain.

The past is still too close to us.

The things we have tried to forget and put behind us would stir again, and that sense of fear, of furtive unrest, struggling at length to blind unreasoning panic - now mercifully stilled, thank God - might in some manner unforeseen become a living companion, as it had been before.

He is wonderfully patient and never complains, not even when he remembers ...

Which happens, I think, rather more often than he would have me know.

I can tell by the way he will look lost and puzzled suddenly, all expression dying away from his dear face as though swept clean by an unseen hand, and in its place a mask will form, a sculptured thing, formal and cold, beautiful still but lifeless.

He will fall to smoking cigarette after cigarette, not bothering to extinguish them, and the glowing stubs will lie around on the ground like petals.

He will talk quickly and eagerly about nothing at all, snatching at any subject as a panacea to pain.

I believe there is a theory that men and women emerge finer and stronger after suffering, and that to advance in this or any world we must endure ordeal by fire.

This we have done in full measure, ironic though it seems.

We have both known fear, and.

Loneliness, and very great distress.

I suppose sooner or later in the life of everyone comes a moment of trial.

We all of us have our particular devil who rides us and torments us, and we must give battle in the end.

We have conquered ours, or so we believe.

The devil does not ride us any more.

We have come through our crisis, not unscathed of course.

His premonition of disaster was correct from the beginning; and like a ranting actress in an indifferent play, I might say that we have paid for freedom.

But I have had enough melodrama in this life, and would willingly give my five senses if they could ensure us our present peace and security.

Happiness is not a possession to be prized, it is quality of thought, a state of mind.

Of course we have our moments of depression; but there are other moments too, when time, unmeasured by the clock, runs on into eternity and, catching his smile, I know we are together, we march in unison, no clash of thought or of opinion makes a barrier between us.

We have no secrets now from one another.

All things are shared.

Granted that our little hotel is dull, and the food indifferent, and that day after day dawns very much the same, yet we would not have it otherwise.

We should meet too many of the people he knows in any of the big hotels.

We both appreciate simplicity, and we are sometimes bored - well, boredom is a pleasing antidote to fear.

We live very much by routine, and I - I have developed a genius for reading aloud.

The only time I have known him show impatience is when the postman lags, for it means we must wait another day before the arrival of our English mail.

We have tried wireless, but the noise is such an irritant, and we prefer to store up our excitement; the result of a cricket match played many days ago means much to us.

Oh, the Test matches that have saved us from ennui, the boxing bouts, even the billiard scores.

Finals of schoolboy sports, dog racing, strange little competitions in the remoter counties, all these are grist to our hungry mill.

Sometimes old copies of the Field come my way, and I am transported from this indifferent island to the realities of an English spring.

I read of chalk streams, of the mayfly, of sorrel growing in green meadows, of rooks circling above the woods as they used to do at Manderley.

The smell of wet earth comes to me from those thumbed and tattered pages, the sour tang of moorland peat, the feel of soggy moss spattered white in places by a heron's droppings.

Once there was an article on wood pigeons, and as I read it aloud it seemed to me that once again I was in the deep woods at Manderley, with pigeons fluttering above my head.

I heard their soft, complacent call, so comfortable and cool on a hot summer's afternoon, and there would be no disturbing of their peace until Jasper came loping through the undergrowth to find me, his damp muzzle questing the ground.

Like old ladies caught at their ablutions, the pigeons would flutter from their hiding-place, shocked into silly agitation, and, making a monstrous to-do with their wings, streak away from us above the tree-tops, and so out of sight and sound.

When they were gone a new silence would come upon the place, and I - uneasy for no known reason - would realize that the sun no longer wove a pattern on the rustling leaves, that the branches had grown darker, the shadows longer; and back at the house there would be fresh raspberries for tea.

I would rise from my bed of bracken then, shaking the feathery dust of last year's leaves from my skirt and whistling to Jasper, set off towards the house, despising myself even as I walked for my hurrying feet, my one swift glance behind.

How strange that an article on wood pigeons could so recall the past and make me falter as I read aloud.

It was the grey look on his face that made me stop abruptly, and turn the pages until I found a paragraph on cricket, very practical and dull - Middlesex batting on a dry wicket at the Oval and piling up interminable dreary runs.

How I blessed those solid, flannelled figures, for in a few minutes his face had settled back into repose, the colour had returned, and he was deriding the Surrey bowling in healthy irritation.

We were saved a retreat into the past, and I had learnt my lesson.

Read English news, yes, and English sport, politics, and pomposity, but in future keep the things that hurt to myself alone.

They can be my secret indulgence.

Colour and scent and sound, rain and the lapping of water, even the mists of autumn, and the smell of the flood tide, these are memories of Manderley that will not be denied.

Some people have a vice of reading Bradshaws.

They plan innumerable journeys across country for the fun of linking up impossible connexions.

My hobby is less tedious, if as strange.

I am a mine of information on the English countryside.

I know the name of every owner of every British moor, yes - and their tenants too.

I know how many grouse are killed, how many partridge, how many head of deer.

I know where trout are rising, and where the salmon leap.

I attend all meets, I follow every run.

Even the names of those who walk hound puppies are familiar to me.

The state of the crops, the price of fat cattle, the mysterious ailments of swine,

I relish them all. A poor pastime, perhaps, and not a very intellectual one, but I breathe the air of England as I read, and can face this glittering sky with greater courage.

The scrubby vineyards and the crumbling stones' become things of no account, for if I wish I can give rein to my imagination, and pick foxgloves and pale campions from a wet, streaking hedge.

Poor whims of fancy, tender and un-harsh.

They are the enemy to bitterness and regret, and sweeten this exile we have brought upon ourselves.

Because of them I can enjoy my afternoon, and return, smiling and refreshed, to face the little ritual of our tea.

The order never varies.

Two slices of bread and butter each, and China tea.

What a hide-bound couple we must seem, clinging to custom because we did so in England.

Here, on this clean balcony, white and impersonal with centuries of sun, I think of half past four at Manderley, and the table drawn before the library fire.

The door flung open, punctual to the minute, and the performance, never-varying, of the laying of the tea, the silver tray, the kettle, the snowy cloth.

While Jasper, his spaniel ears a-droop, feigns indifference to the arrival of the cakes.

That feast was laid before us always, and yet we ate so little.

Those dripping crumpets, I can see them now.

Tiny crisp wedges of toast, and piping-hot, floury scones.

Sandwiches of unknown nature, mysteriously flavoured and quite delectable, and that very special gingerbread.

Angel cake, that melted in the mouth, and his rather stodgier companion, bursting with peel and raisins.

There was enough food there to keep a starving family for a week.

I never knew what happened to it all, and the waste used to worry me sometimes.

But I never dared ask Mrs Danvers what she did about it.

She would have looked at me in scorn, smiling that freezing, superior smile of hers, and I can imagine her saying: 'There were never any complaints when Mrs de Winter was alive. ' Mrs Danvers. I wonder what she is doing now.

She and Favell. I think it was the expression on her face that gave me my first feeling of unrest. Instinctively I thought, 'She is comparing me to Rebecca'; and sharp as a sword the shadow came between us ...

Well, it is over now, finished and done with. I ride no more tormented, and both of us are free.

Even my faithful Jasper has gone to the happy hunting grounds, and Manderley is no more.

It lies like an empty shell amidst the tangle of the deep woods, even as I saw it in my dream.

A multitude of weeds, a colony of birds. Sometimes perhaps a tramp will wander there, seeking shelter from a sudden shower of rain and, if he is stout-hearted, he may walk there with impunity.

But your timid fellow, your nervous poacher - the woods of Manderley are not for him.

He might stumble upon the little cottage in the cove and he would not be happy beneath its tumbled roof, the thin rain beating a tattoo. There might linger there still a certain atmosphere of stress...

That corner in the drive, too, where the trees encroach upon the gravel, is not a place in which to pause, not after the sun has set.

When the leaves rustle, they sound very much like the stealthy movement of a woman in evening dress, and when they shiver suddenly, and fall, and scatter away along the ground, they might be the patter, patter, of a woman's hurrying footstep, and the mark in the gravel the imprint of a high-heeled satin shoe.

It is when I remember these things that I return with relief to the prospect from our balcony.

No shadows steal upon this hard glare, the stony vineyards shimmer in the sun and the bougainvillaea is white with dust.

I may one day look upon it with affection.

At the moment it inspires me, if not with love, at least with confidence.

And confidence is a quality I prize, although it has come to me a little late in the day.

I suppose it is his dependence upon me that has made me bold at last.

At any rate I have lost my diffidence, my timidity, my shyness with strangers.

I am very different from that self who drove to Manderley for the first time, hopeful and eager, handicapped by a rather desperate gaucherie and filled with an intense desire to please.

It was my lack of poise of course that made such a bad impression on people like Mrs Danvers.

What must I have seemed like after Rebecca?

I can see myself now, memory spanning the years like a bridge, with straight, bobbed hair and youthful, unpowdered face, dressed in an ill-fitting coat and skirt and a jumper of my own creation, trailing in the wake of Mrs Van Hopper like a shy, uneasy colt.

She would precede me in to lunch, her short body ill-balanced upon tottering, high heels, her fussy, frilly blouse a compliment to her large bosom and swinging hips, her new hat pierced with a monster quill aslant upon her head, exposing a wide expanse of forehead bare as a schoolboy's knee.

One hand carried a gigantic bag, the kind that holds passports, engagement diaries, and bridge scores, while the other hand toyed with that inevitable lorgnette, the enemy to other people's privacy.

She would make for her usual table in the corner of the restaurant, close to the window, and lifting her lorgnette to her small pig's eyes survey the scene to right and left of her, then she would let the lorgnette fall at length upon its black ribbon and utter a little exclamation of disgust: 'Not a single well-known personality, I shall tell the management they must make a reduction on my bill.

What do they think I come here for?

To look at the page boys?'

And she would summon the waiter to her side, her voice sharp and staccato, cutting the air like a saw.

How different the little restaurant where we are today to that vast dining-room, ornate and ostentatious, the Hotel Cote d'Azur at Monte Carlo; and how different my present .

Companion, his steady, well-shaped hands peeling a mandarin in quiet, methodical fashion, looking up now and again from his task to smile at me, compared to Mrs Van Hopper, her fat, bejewelled fingers questing a plate heaped high with ravioli, her eyes darting suspiciously from her plate to mine for fear I should have made the better choice.

She need not have disturbed herself, for the waiter, with the uncanny swiftness of his kind, had long sensed my position as inferior and subservient to hers, and had placed before me a plate of ham and tongue that somebody had sent back to the cold buffet half an hour before as badly carved.

Odd, that resentment of servants, and their obvious impatience.

I remember staying once with Mrs Van Hopper in a country house, and the maid never answered my timid bell, or brought up my shoes, and early morning tea, stone cold, was dumped outside my bedroom door.

It was the same at the Cote d'Azur, though to a lesser degree, and sometimes the studied indifference turned to familiarity, smirking and offensive, which made buying stamps from the reception clerk an ordeal I would avoid.

How young and inexperienced I must have seemed, and how I felt it, too.

One was too sensitive, too raw, there were thorns and pinpricks in so many words that in reality fell lightly on the air.

I remember well that plate of ham and tongue.

It was dry, unappetizing, cut in a wedge from the outside, but I had not the courage to refuse it.

We ate in silence, for Mrs Van Hopper liked to concentrate on food, and I could tell by the way the sauce ran down her chin that her dish of ravioli pleased her.

It was not a sight that engendered into me great appetite for my own cold choice, and looking away from her I saw that the table next to ours, left vacant for three days, was to be occupied once more.

The maitre d'hotel, with the particular bow reserved for his more special patrons, was ushering the new arrival to his place.

Mrs Van Hopper put down her fork, and reached for her lorgnette.

I blushed for her while she stared, and the newcomer, unconscious of her interest, cast a wandering eye over the menu.

Then Mrs Van Hopper folded her lorgnette with a snap, and leant across the table to me, her small eyes bright with excitement, her voice a shade too loud. 'It's Max de Winter, ' she said, 'the man who owns Manderley.

You've heard of it, of course.

He looks ill, doesn't he?

They say he can't get over his wife's death ... '

第02章

我们永远也日下去了,这一点是确定无疑的。过去的岁月仍近在咫尺。我们力图忘却并永远置诸脑后的种种往事,说不定又会重新唤起我们的回忆。还有那种恐惧,那种诡秘的不宁之感——感谢上帝慈悲,现在总算平息了——过去曾一度演变成不可理喻的盲目惊惶,说不定也还会以某种无法预见的形式卷土重来,就像过去那样和我们形影相随,朝夕共处。

他的忍耐功夫着实惊人。他从不怨天尤人,即使在回忆起往事的时候也决不愤愤然……而我相信他常常想起过去,尽管他不愿让我知道。

他怎能瞒过我的眼睛?有时,他显出茫然若有所失的样子,可爱的脸容上,所有的表情消失得一千二净,仿佛被一只无形的手一下子全抹掉了似的,取而代之的是一副面具,一件雕塑品,冷冰冰,一本正经,纵然不失英俊,却毫无生气;有时,他会猛抽香烟,一支接一支,甚至连烟蒂也顾不上弄熄,结果,那闪着火星的烟头就像花瓣似地在他周围散了一地;有时,他胡乱找个什么话题,口若悬河,讲得眉飞色舞,其实什么内容也没有,无非是想借此排解心头的忧伤。我听到过一种说法:不论哪一对夫妻,只要经历苦难磨练,就会变得更高尚、更坚强,因此在今世或来世做人,理当忍受火刑的考验。这话听上去有点似是而非,不过我俩倒是充分领略了其中的滋味。我俩经历过恐惧、孤独和极大的不幸。我觉得,每个人在自己的一生中迟早会面临考验,我们大家都有各自特定的恶魔灾星,备受压迫和折磨,到头来总得奋起与之博斗。我俩总算战胜了这个恶魔,或者说我们相信自己战胜了。

现在,那灾星再也不来欺压我们。难关总算闯过了,自然我们也不免受了些创伤。他对灾难的预感打一开始就很灵验,而我呢,不妨效法一出蹩脚戏里的女戏子,装腔作势地嚷嚷,宣布我们为自由付了代价。说实在的,戏剧性的曲折离奇,这辈子我领教够了,要是能让我俩一直像现在这样安安稳稳过日子,我宁愿拿自己所有的感官作代价。幸福并不是一件值得珍藏的占有物,而是一种思想状态,一种心境。当然,我们有时也会消沉沮丧,但在其他时刻,时间不再由钟摆来计量,而是连绵地伸向永恒;我只要一看到他的微笑,就意识到我俩在一起携手并进,再没有思想或意见上的分歧在我俩之间设下屏障。

如今,我俩之间再没有任何要瞒着对方的隐私,真个是同甘共苦,息息相通了。尽管这小客栈沉闷乏味,伙食也糟糕,日复一日,重复着单调的老一套,。我们却不愿生活变成另一种样子。要是住到大旅馆去,势必遇到很多他的熟人。我俩都深感简朴的可贵,倘若有时觉得无聊,那又何妨?无聊对恐惧来说,岂非一帖对症的解药!我们按照固定不变的格局安排日常生活,而我就从中逐渐培养起朗读的才能。据我知道,只有当邮差误了班头的时候,他才露出焦躁的神情,因为这意味着我们得多挨一天才能收到英国来的邮件。我们试着听过收音机,但是杂音恼人,所以我们宁愿把怀乡的激情蓄积在心头。好几天前进行的一场板球赛的战果,在我们生活中竟有那么重要的意义。

啊!各种球类决赛和拳击比赛,甚至还有弹子房的击弹落袋得分记录,都能把我们从百无聊赖中解救出来。小学生运动会的决赛,跑狗以及偏僻诸郡那些稀奇古怪的小型竞赛——所有这些消息,都是空磨子里的谷物,都能解我俩饥渴之苦,有时我弄到几份过期的《田野报》,读来不禁神驰,仿佛又从这异乡小岛回到了春意盎然的英国现实生活之中。我读到描写白色小溪、飞蝼姑、生长在绿色草地上的雄鹿的文字,还有那些盘旋在林子上空的白嘴鸦,过去,这景象在曼陀丽庄园是屡见不鲜的。我在这些已被翻阅得残破不全的纸页中,竟闻到了润土的芳香,嗅到了沼泽地带泥煤的酸味,甚至还触到那温漉漉的青苔地,上面缀有点点白斑,那是苍鹭的遗矢。有一口我念到一篇关于野鸽的文章,念着念着,恍若又回到曼陀丽的园林深处,野鸽在我头顶鼓翅,我听到它们柔和、自得的咕呜,这声音在夏日炎热的午后给人以舒适凉爽之感。只要杰斯珀不跑来,它们的安宁是不会受到打扰的。但是杰斯珀找我来了,它奔跳着穿过树丛,一边用湿漉漉的鼻子唤着地面,经狗一吓,野鸽顿时大可不必地一阵骚动,从藏身处乱飞出去,就像一群老太婆在洗澡时遭人撞见了一样。野鸽劈劈啪啪鼓动翅膀,迅捷地从树顶上掠过,渐渐远去,终于飞得无影无踪。这时,周围复归静穆,而我却莫名其妙地不安起来,注意到阳光不再在飒飒作声的树叶上编织出图案,树枝变得黝黑森然,阴影伸长了,而在那边宅子里已摆出新鲜的莓果,准备用茶点了。于是,我就从羊齿丛中站起身子,抖一抖陈年残叶留在裙子上的尘埃,打个唿哨招呼杰斯珀,随即动身回屋子去。我一边走,一边鄙夷地自问:脚步为何如此匆匆,而且还要飞快地向身后瞥上一眼?

说也奇怪,一篇讲野鸽的文章,竟唤起了这么一番对往事的回忆,而且使我朗读时变得结结巴巴。是他那阴沉的脸色,使我戛然停止了朗读,并往后翻了好几页,直到找着一段关于板球赛的短讯为止。那段文字就事论事,单调乏味,讲到奥佛尔球场上,中塞克斯队以平庸的打法击球进攻,连连得手,比分沉闷地一个劲儿往上加。真得感谢那些果头呆脑的穿运动衣的角色,因为不大一会儿,他的面容恢复了原先的平静,重新有了血色,他带着正常的恼怒嘲笑起塞雷队的投球术来。

这样总算避免了一场回忆,我也得了教训:英国新闻是可以念的,英国的体育运动、政治情况,英国人的傲慢自大等等,都可以;但是往后,凡是容易惹起伤感的东西,只能让我独个儿去悄悄咀嚼回味。色彩、香味、声音、雨水、浪涛的拍击,甚至秋天的浓雾和潮水的咸味,都是曼陀丽留下的记忆,怎么也磨灭不掉。有些人有阅读铁路指南的嗜好,他们设想出无数纵横交错的旅程,把一些无法联系的地区沟通起来,以此消遣。我的癖好与阅读铁路指南一样怪诞,但比较有意思,这便是积累英国农村的资料。英国每一片沼泽地的地主是谁,还有他们的雇农,我都-一叫得出名字。我知道一共宰了多少只松鸡,多少只鹧鸪,多少头鹿;我知道哪儿鳟鱼正在翔浮水面,哪儿鲑鱼正在活蹦乱跳。我注意着每一次的狩猎和捕鱼活动,甚至那些训练小猎犬奔跑的猎人的名字,我也熟悉农作物的生长情况,肉类的价格,猪群染上的怪病,所有这些我都感到津津有味。也许,这是一种打发时光的低级消遣,而且不需要用脑子,但这样,我就能一边读着报刊,一边呼吸着英国的空气;这样,我也才能鼓起更大的勇气,面对异国耀眼的天空。

乱七八糟的葡萄园的破碎的石块,也就因此变得无关紧要,因为只要我愿意,我完全可以驾驭自己左右驰骋的想象,从潮湿的条纹状篱笆上,摘下几朵指顶花和灰白的剪秋罗。

这类采花于篱下的一时之兴,虽说微不足道,倒也有其亲切可取之处,非但与辛酸、悔恨势不两立,而且还能使我们眼下这种自作自受的背井离乡的生活变得稍许甜蜜一点。

多亏这些一时之兴,我还能度过一个愉快的下午,神情气爽地满脸堆笑而归,享用简便的午茶。午茶的内容一成不变,总是每人两片涂黄油的面包,还有一杯中国茶。在外人眼里,我们这对夫妇一定刻板得很,死抱着在英国养成的积习不放。小阳台很干净,经过几个世纪阳光的洗晒,变得洁白却又毫无特色。站在这儿,我又想起曼陀丽午后四时半的情景;先把藏书室壁炉前的桌子拉出,房门准时打开,接着就是千篇一律的放置茶具的那套程序:银质的托盘、茶壶,雪白的桌布。杰斯珀耷拉着大耳朵,对端进来的糕点摆出一副无动于衷的架势。每天总有许多食物放在我俩面前,但我们吃得极少。

现在我看见那种滴着奶油的煎饼,小块松脆的尖角吐司,刚出炉的薄片面包;那种不知什么东西做成的三明治,散发着一种说不出来的香味,闻得叫人觉得愉快;那种非常特别的姜饼;那种放在嘴里即刻融化的蛋糕;还有与之成双配对的成分较浓的水果蛋糕,上面缀满果皮和葡萄干。这些食物,够挨饿的一家人受用一个星期。我从不知道这一桌子东酉是怎么处理的。暴珍天物有时使我于心不安。

但我就是不敢启口问问丹弗斯太太,她怎么处置这一桌食物。要是我问了,她一定会带着不屑的神情望着我,嘴角挂着那种带优越感的、使人浑身发冷的隐笑。我想她一定还会说:“德温特夫人在世时,可从来不抱怨什么的。”这位丹弗斯太太如今在干什么呢?还有那个费弗尔。我记得,正是丹弗斯太太脸上的那种表情,使我第一次感到局促不安。直觉告诉我:“她在拿我与吕蓓卡相比呢。”接着一个魔影就像利剑似地插到我俩中间来了……

啊,现在这一切总算过去,总算与之一刀两断了!我不再受到折磨,我俩终于自由了。就连忠心耿耿的杰斯珀也进了愉快的天国,而且曼陀丽也已不复存在!它是深埋在密林杂乱之中的一个空壳,就像我在梦中见到的那样,一片荒芜,成了野鸟栖息的处所。有时也许会走来一个流浪汉,在突如其来的一阵暴雨中想找个躲避的地方。倘若来人是个胆大的汉子,那就不妨泰然在那儿走一走;但如果是个胆小鬼,是个鬼鬼祟祟偷人地界的不速之客,那么曼陀丽的林子可不是他逗留的地方。他也许会碰上海角处的那座小屋,在那倾坛的屋顶下,听着淅沥的细雨声,他决不会觉得自在。那里也许还残留着某种阴森逼人的气氛……车道的那个转角——树木在那儿侵入沙砾路面——也不宜驻足流连,特别是在太阳落山以后。树叶飒飒作响,很像一个穿晚礼眼的女人在踯躅走动;当树叶突然一阵颤抖,纷纷飘落在地的时候,那啪哒啪哒的声响,说不定正是她匆忙的脚步声,而沙砾路上的凹陷说不定就是她缎面高跟鞋留下的痕迹。

每逢我忆起这些往事的时候,我总要站在阳台上去看看景色,松一口气。这儿的阳光耀眼夺目,没有一丝阴影偷偷潜来将它遮掩。石砌的葡萄园在阳光下闪闪发光,紫茉莉花染着尘埃,泛出白色。也许有一天我会深情地看待这一切,而目前倘使它还未使我产生爱慕之情,至少给了我足够的自信。自信是我十分珍视的品格,当然在这一生中,我的自信心来得未免太晚一点。我想,最终使我一扫怯懦的因素,是他毕竟依靠着我了。不管怎么说,我总算摆脱了我的自卑、胆寒和怯生的羞态,与初次乘车去曼陀丽时相比,已经判若两人:那时候,我充满着急切的希望,处处为极度的笨拙所掣肘,还拼命想取悦于人。我所以会给丹弗斯太太之流留下那么恶劣的印象,自然是因为我举止失当。在吕蓓卡之后,我在人们心目中的形象是什么样的呢?记忆像座桥梁,把岁月沟通,我可以回忆起自己当时的形象:一头平直的短发,稚嫩而不敷脂粉的脸蛋,衣裙均不合身,还穿着我自己裁制的短褂,像个羞怯失措的小妞儿,跟在范-霍珀夫人的后面。她总是领着我去吃午饭,她那五短身材在摇晃的高跟鞋上很难保持住平衡;那件过分俗艳的折边短外套,衬托出她肥大的胸部和扭摆的臂部;还有那顶新帽子,上面插一支其大无比的羽毛,歪斜地覆在脑袋上,露出一大片前额,光秃秃犹如小学生裤子的膝盖部。她一手拎个大提包,就是人们放护照、约会录和桥牌得分册的那类手提包;另一只手总是玩弄着那副永不离身的长柄眼镜——他人私生活的大敌。她总是走向餐厅角落临窗处的一张桌子,那桌子通常总由她占坐。她把夹鼻眼镜举到自己猪似的小眼睛前,左右巡视一番,然后就让眼镜听其自然地落下,悬在黑缎带上,再发一通表示厌烦的感叹:“知名人物一个也没有!我要对经理说去,他们必须削减我的旅馆费。他们不想一想我到这儿来干什么的,难道是专来看那些茶房的不成?”接着她就把侍者召到身边,说话的声音尖利而继续,像把锯子撕裂着空气。

今天我们进膳的小饭馆,同蒙特卡洛“蔚蓝海岸”旅馆富丽豪华的大餐厅相比,真是大相径庭;拿我眼下的伴侣与范-霍珀夫人相比,更有天壤之别:他这会儿正用那双稳健的、长相很美的手,沉静而有条不紊地剥着一只柑桔,时而还抬起头来朝我莞尔一笑;而那位范-霍珀夫人则是用戴着珠宝戒指的圆滚滚手指,不住地在自己堆满五香碎肉卷的盘子里东翻西扒,还不时疑神疑鬼地朝我的盘子膜上一眼,怕我的口福比她好。其实她根本用不着操这份心,因为侍者凭着干这一行的不可思议的敏感,早就觉察到我是她的下人,地位微贱,于是给我端来一盘火腿拼猪舌,这盘茶大概是哪位顾客嫌切割得不成样子,半小时前退还到冷食柜去的。侍仆们的那种嫌弃态度,还有那种明显的不耐烦,也真有点怪。我记得有一回同范-霍珀夫人住在乡下,那客店的女佣对我胆怯的铃声从不理会,我的鞋子也不给拿来,而冰冷的早茶总是像垃圾似的堆在我的卧室门外。在“蔚蓝海岸”情形也一样,只是没有这么过分罢了。但有时故意的冷淡竟变成了恼人的无礼嘻笑,以致从旅馆接待员那儿买张邮票简直是活受罪,巴不得能躲开才好。那时,我一定显得年幼无知,而自己当时也深深感觉到这一点。一个人要是太敏感,太不识世故,听着一些其实很平常的言词,就会从中辨出许多影射和挖苦的意思来。

那盘火腿拼猪舌,至今仍历历在目,它们被切成楔形块儿,于巴巴的没有卤汁,一点也引不起食欲。但我没有勇气拒绝这个拼盘。我们一声不吭地吃着,因为范-霍珀夫人喜欢把全副心思放在饭菜上。辣酱油打她下巴上流下,从这一点,我看得出那盘五香碎肉卷很合她的口味。

看她吃得那么欢,可一点没能使我对自己点的那盆冷菜引起兴趣,因此我就把目光从她身上移开。这时,我看见挨着我们的那张桌子,三天以来一直空着,如今又有人来占坐了。餐厅侍者领班正用他那种专对特殊主顾施行的躬身礼,把新客人引到座位上来。

范-霍珀夫人放下餐叉,去摸夹鼻眼镜。她直勾勾盯着邻座,我真为她害臊。可新来的客人并未注意到她对自己的兴趣,径自对菜单扫了一眼。接着,范-霍珀夫人啪地一声折起长柄眼镜,从桌子那头探身向我,小眼睛激动得闪闪发光,说话的嗓门稍许大了些。

“这是迈克斯-德温特,”她说。“曼陀丽庄园的主人。这庄园你当然听说过罗。他脸带病容,对吗?听人说,他妻子死了,给他的打击太大,一时还没恢复过来……”

这个我 在中国看过,叫蝴蝶梦,
《蝴蝶梦》是塞尔兹尼克国际影片公司出品的悬疑片,是根据达夫妮·杜穆里埃的悬疑小说《丽贝卡》改编而成,讲述了一个年轻女子嫁入豪门后,发现丈夫的前妻丽贝卡的阴魂笼罩在豪宅中;之后,丽贝卡的遗体被发现,一桩命案由此被揭开的故事。1940 年 3 月 28 日,该片在美国上映。1941 年,该片获得第 13 届奥斯卡最佳影片以及最佳摄影奖。

以前看过电影,现在阅读小说,感觉体会会有不同的提升的。如果英文不错就直接读原著,否则就中英文对照,或者干脆只读中文版。

有人感觉生词不多的吗?这种经典原著用词特别文雅讲究,读起来需要扩充词汇量。最近在看《LOST HORIZON 〉, 也是生词狂多,但 那种英国式的随处可见的幽默和不动声色的优雅很吸引人读下去。

争取跟着楼主每天一章:wdb10:

全书一共 29 章,每天读一章,一个月可以读完,读中文没问题,读英文的是不是太快了?我的词汇量还行,加上以前看过好几遍电影,现在泛泛地阅读估计不成问题。

请欣赏:香格里拉 —— 消失的地平线《 LOST HORIZON 》
[/FONT]

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
我今天刚从图书馆借了这个纸质书配cd的,还没有听,不知道是英式英语还是北美英语。
我一匈牙利的同学说我的英语有英式口音(忘记多久之前没事在英式网站乱听)。然后老师对我说,听北美的就好了,不然几种口音混合在一起不太好。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
我今天刚从图书馆借了这个纸质书配cd的,还没有听,不知道是英式英语还是北美英语。
我一匈牙利的同学说我的英语有英式口音(忘记多久之前没事在英式网站乱听)。然后老师对我说,听北美的就好了,不然几种口音混合在一起不太好。

我知道 1997 年 Emilia Fox 主演的 TV 版《Rebecca》是英式英语。小说配 cd 版本的,既有英式英语,也有美式英语。如果你借到的 cd 是两碟,并且是 2007 年10月版本的,那是美式英语。个人觉得,美式英语容易听懂。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
[FONT=宋体]

全书一共 29 章,每天读一章,一个月可以读完,读中文没问题,读英文的是不是太快了?我的词汇量还行,加上以前看过好几遍电影,现在泛泛地阅读估计不成问题。
[/FONT]

一天一章就是泛读,配合中文,跟生词混个脸熟。英语大牛表笑话蜗牛哈
谢谢《Horizon》的链接,那个小说我是精读的,词汇更难一些。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
[FONT=宋体]chapter three

I wonder what my life would be today, if Mrs Van Hopper had not been a snob. Funny to think that the course of my existence hung like a thread upon that quality of hers. Her curiosity was a disease, almost a mania. At first I had been shocked, wretchedly embarrassed; I would feel like a whipping boy who must bear his master's pains when I watched people laugh behind her back, leave a room hurriedly upon her entrance, or even vanish behind a Service door on the corridor upstairs. For many years now she had come to the Hotel Cote d'Azur, and, apart from bridge, her one pastime which was notorious by now in Monte Carlo, was to claim visitors of distinction as her friends had she but seen them once at the other end of the post-office. Somehow she would manage to introduce herself, and before her victim had scented danger she had proffered an invitation to her suite. Her method of attack was so downright and sudden that there was seldom opportunity to escape. At the Cote d'Azur she staked a claim upon a certain sofa in the lounge, midway between the reception hall and the passage to the restaurant, and she would have her coffee there after luncheon and dinner, and all who came and went must pass her by. Sometimes she would employ me as a bait to draw her prey, and, hating my errand, I would be sent across the lounge with a verbal message, the loan of a book or paper, the address of some shop or other, the sudden discovery of a mutual friend. It seemed as though notables must be fed to her, much as invalids are spooned their jelly; and though titles were preferred by her, any face once seen in a social paper served as well. Names scattered in a gossip column, authors, artists, actors, and their kind, even the mediocre ones, as long as she had learnt of them in print. I can see her as though it were but yesterday, on that unforgettable afternoon - never mind how many years ago -when she sat at her favourite sofa in the lounge, debating her method of attack. I could tell by her abrupt manner, and the way she tapped her lorgnette against her teeth, that she was questing possibilities. I knew, too, when she had missed the sweet and rushed through dessert, that she had wished to finish luncheon before the new arrival and so install herself where he must pass. Suddenly she turned to me, her small eyes alight. 'Go upstairs quickly and find that letter from my nephew. You remember, the one written on his honeymoon, with the snapshot. Bring it down to me right away. ' I saw then that her plans were formed, and the nephew was to be the means of introduction. Not for the first time I resented the part that I must play in her schemes. Like a juggler's assistant I produced the props, then silent and attentive I waited on my cue. This newcomer would not welcome intrusion, I felt certain of that. In the little I had learnt of him at luncheon, a smattering of hearsay garnered by her ten months ago from the daily papers and stored in her memory for future use, I could imagine, in spite of my youth and inexperience of the world, that he would resent this sudden bursting in upon his solitude. Why he should have chosen to come to the Cote d'Azur at Monte Carlo was not our concern, his problems were his own, and anyone but Mrs Van Hopper would have understood. Tact was a quality unknown to her, discretion too, and because gossip was the breath of life to her this stranger must be served for her dissection. I found the letter in a pigeon-hole in her desk, and hesitated a moment before going down again to the lounge. It seemed to me, rather senselessly, that I was allowing him a few more moments of seclusion. I wished I had the courage to go by the Service staircase and so by roundabout way to the restaurant, and there warn him of the ambush. Convention was too strong for me though, nor did I know how I should frame my sentence. There was nothing for it but to sit in my usual place beside Mrs Van Hopper while she, like a large, complacent spider, spun her wide net of tedium about the stranger's person. I had been longer than I thought, for when I returned to the lounge I saw he had already left the dining-room, and she, fearful of losing him, had not waited for the letter, but had risked a bare-faced introduction on her own. He was even now sitting beside her on the sofa. I walked across to them, and gave her the letter without a word. He rose to his feet at once, while Mrs Van Hopper, flushed with her success, waved a vague hand in my direction and mumbled my name. 'Mr de Winter is having coffee with us, go and ask the waiter for another cup, ' she said, her tone just casual enough to warn him of my footing. It meant I was a youthful thing and unimportant, and that there was no need to include me in the conversation. She always spoke in that tone when she wished to be impressive, and her method of introduction was a form of self-protection, for once I had been taken for her daughter, an acute embarrassment for us both. This abruptness showed that I could safely be ignored, and women would give me a brief nod which served as a greeting and a dismissal in one, while men, with large relief, would realize they could sink back into a comfortable chair without offending courtesy. It was a surprise, therefore, to find that this newcomer remained standing on his feet, and it was he who made a signal to the waiter. 'I'm afraid I must contradict you, ' he said to her, 'you are both having coffee with me'; and before I knew what had happened he was sitting in my usual hard chair, and I was on the sofa beside Mrs Van Hopper. For a moment she looked annoyed - this was not what she had intended - but she soon composed her face, and thrusting her large self between me and the table she leant forward to his chair, talking eagerly and loudly, fluttering the letter in her hand. 'You know I recognized you just as soon as you walked into the restaurant, ' she said, 'and I thought, "Why, there's Mr de Winter, Billy's friend, I simply must show him those snaps of Billy and his bride taken on their honeymoon", and here they are. There's Dora. Isn't she just adorable? That little, slim waist, those great big eyes. Here they are sun-bathing at Palm Beach. Billy is crazy about her, you can imagine. He had not met her of course when he gave that party at Claridge's, and where I saw you first. But I dare say you don't remember an old woman like me?' This with a provocative glance and a gleam of teeth. 'On the contrary I remember you very well, ' he said, and before she could trap him into a resurrection of their first meeting he had handed her his cigarette case, and the business of lighting-up stalled her for the moment. 'I don't think I should care for Palm Beach, ' he said, blowing the match, and glancing at him I thought how unreal he would look against a Florida background. He belonged to a walled city of the fifteenth century, a city of narrow, cobbled streets, and thin spires, where the inhabitants wore pointed shoes and worsted hose. His face was arresting, sensitive, medieval in some strange inexplicable way, and I was reminded of a portrait seen in a gallery, I had forgotten where, of a certain Gentleman Unknown. Could one but rob him of his English tweeds, and put him in black, with lace at his throat and wrists, he would stare down at us in our new world from a long-distant past - a past where men walked cloaked at night, and stood in the shadow of old doorways, a past of narrow stairways and dim dungeons, a past of whispers in the dark, of shimmering rapier blades, of silent, exquisite courtesy. I wished I could remember the Old Master who had painted that portrait. It stood in a corner of the gallery, and the eyes followed one from the dusky frame ... They were talking though, and I had lost the thread of conversation. 'No, not even twenty years ago, ' he was saying. "That sort of thing has never amused me. ' I heard Mrs Van Hopper give her fat, complacent laugh. 'If Billy had a home like Manderley he would not want to play around in Palm Beach, ' she said. 'I'm told it's like fairyland, there's no other word for it. ' She paused, expecting him to smile, but he went on smoking his cigarette, and I noticed, faint as gossamer, the line between his brows. 'I've seen pictures of it, of course, ' she persisted, 'and it looks perfectly enchanting. I remember Billy telling me it had all those big places beat for beauty. I wonder you can ever bear to leave it. ' His silence now was painful, and would have been patent to anyone else, but she ran on like a clumsy goat, trampling and trespassing on land that was preserved, and I felt the colour flood my face, dragged with her as I was into humiliation. 'Of course you Englishmen are all the same about your homes, ' she said, her voice becoming louder and louder, 'you depreciate them so as not to seem proud. Isn't there a minstrels' gallery at Manderley, and some very valuable portraits?' She turned to me by way of explanation. 'Mr de Winter is so modest he won't admit to it, but I believe that lovely home of his has been in his family's possession since the Conquest. They say that minstrels' gallery is a gem. I suppose your ancestors often entertained royalty at Manderley, Mr de Winter?' This was more than I had hitherto endured, even from her, but the swift lash of his reply was unexpected. 'Not since Ethelred, ' he said, 'the one who was called Unready. In fact, it was while staying with my family that the name was given him. He was invariably late for dinner. ' She deserved it, of course, and I waited for her change of face, but incredible as it may seem his words were lost on her, and I was left to writhe in her stead, feeling like a child that had been smacked. 'Is that really so?' she blundered. 'I'd no idea. My history is very shaky and the kings of England always muddled me. How interesting, though. I must write and tell my daughter; she's a great scholar. ' There was a pause, and I felt the colour flood into my face. I was too young, that was the trouble. Had I been older I would have caught his eye and smiled, her unbelievable behaviour making a bond between us; but as it was I was stricken into shame, and endured one of the frequent agonies of youth. I think he realized my distress, for he leant forward in his chair and spoke to me, his voice gentle, asking if I would have more coffee, and when I refused and shook my head I felt his eyes were still on me, puzzled, reflective. He was pondering my exact relationship to her, and wondering whether he must bracket us together in futility. 'What do you think of Monte Carlo, or don't you think of it at all?' he said. This including of me in the conversation found me at my worst, the raw ex-schoolgirl, red-elbowed and lanky-haired, and I said something obvious and idiotic about the place being artificial, but before I could finish my halting sentence Mrs Van Hopper interrupted. 'She's spoilt, Mr de Winter, that's her trouble. Most girls would give their eyes for the chance of seeing Monte. ' 'Wouldn't that rather defeat the purpose?' he said, smiling. She shrugged her shoulders, blowing a great cloud of cigarette smoke into the air. I don't think she understood him for a moment. 'I'm faithful to Monte, ' she told him; 'the English winter gets me down, and my constitution just won't stand it. What brings you here? You're not one of the regulars. Are you going to play "Chemy", or have you brought your golf clubs?' 'I have not made up my mind, ' he said; 'I came away in rather a hurry. ' His own words must have jolted a memory, for his face clouded again and he frowned very slightly. She babbled on, impervious. 'Of course you miss the fogs at Manderley; it's quite another matter; the west country must be delightful in the spring. ' He reached for the ashtray, squashing his cigarette, and I noticed the subtle change in his eyes, the indefinable something that lingered there, momentarily, and I felt I had looked upon something personal to himself with which I had no concern. 'Yes, ' he said shortly, 'Manderley was looking its best. ' A silence fell upon us during a moment or two, a silence that brought something of discomfort in its train, and stealing a glance at him I was reminded more than ever of my Gentleman Unknown who, cloaked and secret, walked a corridor by night. Mrs Van Hopper's voice pierced my dream like an electric bell. 'I suppose you know a crowd of people here, though I must say Monte is very dull this winter. One sees so few well-known faces. The Duke of Middlesex is here in his yacht, but I haven't been aboard yet. ' She never had, to my knowledge. 'You know Nell Middlesex of course, ' she went on. 'What a charmer she is. They always say that second child isn't his, but I don't believe it. People will say anything, won't they, when a woman is attractive? And she is so very lovely. Tell me, is it true the Caxton-Hyslop marriage is not a success?' She ran on, through a tangled fringe of gossip, never seeing that these names were alien to him, they meant nothing, and that as she prattled unaware he grew colder and more silent. Never for a moment did he interrupt or glance at his watch; it was as though he had set himself a standard of behaviour, since the original lapse when he had made a fool of her in front of me, and clung to it grimly rather than offend again. It was a page-boy in the end who released him, with the news that a dressmaker awaited Mrs Van Hopper in the suite. He got up at once, pushing back his chair. 'Don't let me keep you, ' he said. 'Fashions change so quickly nowadays they may even have altered by the time you get upstairs. ' The sting did not touch her, she accepted it as a pleasantry. 'It's so delightful to have run into you like this, Mr de Winter, ' she said, as we went towards the lift; 'now I've been brave enough to break the ice I hope I shall see something of you. You must come and have a drink some time in the suite. I may have one or two people coming in tomorrow evening. Why not join us?' I turned away so that I should not watch him search for an excuse. 'I'm so sorry, ' he said, 'tomorrow I am probably driving to Sospel, I'm not sure when I shall get back. ' Reluctantly she left it, but we still hovered at the entrance to the lift. 'I hope they've given you a good room; the place is half empty, so if you are uncomfortable mind you make a fuss. Your valet has unpacked for you, I suppose?' This familiarity was excessive, even for her, and I caught a glimpse of his expression. 'I don't possess one, ' he said quietly; 'perhaps you would like to do it for me?' This time his shaft had found its mark, for she reddened, and laughed a little awkwardly. 'Why, I hardly think... ' she began, and then suddenly, and unbelievably, she turned upon me, 'Perhaps you could make yourself useful to Mr de Winter, if he wants anything done. You're a capable child in many ways. ' There was a momentary pause, while I stood stricken, waiting for his answer. He looked down at us, mocking, faintly sardonic, a ghost of a smile on his lips. 'A charming suggestion, ' he said, 'but I cling to the family motto. He travels the fastest who travels alone. Perhaps you have not heard of it. ' And without waiting for her answer he turned and left us. 'What a funny thing, ' said Mrs Van Hopper, as we went upstairs in the lift. 'Do you suppose that sudden departure was a form of humour? Men do such extraordinary things. I remember a well-known writer once who used to dart down the Service staircase whenever he saw me coming. I suppose he had a penchant for me and wasn't sure of himself. However, I was younger then. ' The lift stopped with a jerk. We arrived at our floor. The page-boy flung open the gates. 'By the way, dear, ' she said, as we walked along the corridor, 'don't think I mean to be unkind, but you put yourself just a teeny bit forward this afternoon. Your efforts to monopolize the conversation quite embarrassed me, and I'm sure it did him. Men loathe that sort of thing. ' I said nothing. There seemed no possible reply. 'Oh, come, don't sulk, ' she laughed, and shrugged her shoulders; 'after all, I am responsible for your behaviour here, and surely you can accept advice from a woman old enough to be your mother. Eh bien, Blaize. Je viens... ' and humming a tune she went into the bedroom where the dressmaker was waiting for her. I knelt on the window-seat and looked out upon the afternoon. The sun shone very brightly still, and there was a gay high wind. In half an hour we should be sitting to our bridge, the windows tightly closed, the central heating turned to the full. I thought of the ashtrays I would have to clear, and how the squashed stubs, stained with lipstick, would sprawl in company with discarded chocolate creams. Bridge does not come easily to a mind brought up on Snap and Happy Families; besides, it bored her friends to play with me. I felt my youthful presence put a curb upon their conversation, much as a parlour-maid does until the arrival of dessert, and they could not fling themselves so easily into the melting-pot of scandal and insinuation. Her men-friends would assume a sort of forced heartiness and ask me jocular questions about history or painting, guessing I had not long left school and that this would be my only form of conversation. I sighed, and turned away from the window. The sun was so full of promise, and the sea was whipped white with a merry wind. I thought of that corner of Monaco which I had passed a day or two ago, and where a crooked house leant to a cobbled square. High up in the tumbled roof there was a window, narrow as a slit. It might have held a presence medieval; and, reaching to the desk for pencil and paper, I sketched in fancy with an absent mind a profile, pale and aquiline. A sombre eye, a high-bridged nose, a scornful upper lip. And I added a pointed beard and lace at the throat, as the painter had done, long ago in a different time. Someone knocked at the door, and the lift-boy came in with a note in his hand. 'Madame is in the bedroom, ' I told him but he shook his head and said it was for me. I opened it, and found a single sheet of note-paper inside, with a few words written in an unfamiliar hand. 'Forgive me. I was very rude this afternoon. ' That was all. No signature, and no beginning. But my name was on the envelope, and spelt correctly, an unusual thing. 'Is there an answer?' asked the boy. I looked up from the scrawled words. 'No, ' I said. 'No, there isn't any answer. ' When he had gone I put the note away in my pocket, and turned once more to my pencil drawing, but for no known reason it did not please me any more; the face was stiff and lifeless, and the lace collar and the beard were like props in a charade.

第03章
[/FONT]
如果范-霍珀夫人不是个势利鬼,我真不知道今天我的生活会是什么样子。
[FONT=宋体]
想想也真有趣,我一生走什么道路竟完全有赖于这位太太的势利。她那种病态的好奇差不多成了怪癖。起初,我十分震惊,并常常为此窘得手足无措。人们在她背后窃笑,见她走进屋子就忙不迭溜走,甚至匆匆躲进楼上走廊里的侍者专用门,避之唯恐不及。每逢这种时候,我就好比一个代人受过的小厮,非得承担主人的全部痛苦不可。多年以来,她一直是“蔚蓝海岸”旅馆的常客,除了爱玩桥牌,还有一种目前在蒙特卡洛已臭名远扬的打发时光的消遣,那就是把有地位的旅客强攀为自己的朋友,尽管这些人她只在邮局里远远见过一面。她总能想出什么办法来作一番自我介绍,而在猎物还没有觉察到危险之前,她这儿已经提出正式邀请,要对方到她房间来作客了。进攻的时候,她采用的方法倒也别致:直截了当,而且乘人不备;所以,对方很少有机会逃脱。在旅馆休息室里,在接待室和通向餐厅走道的中途,她老是占着一张非她莫属的沙发。午饭和晚饭后。她总在那儿喝咖啡,这样,所有进出的客人都得经过她面前。有时她还把我用作勾引猎物的诱饵,派我捎个口信到休息室那头去,要不就打发我去借书报,或是打听某家铺子或其他什么别的地址;这样,突然间就会发现一个双方都认识的朋友。我是极厌恶这类差使的。有名望的人似乎都得供她饱餐一顿,就像卧床的病人要别人一匙一匙地喂果子冻一样。她最喜欢找有头衔的名人,不过其他人,只要相片见过报,她也爱结交。还有那些名字曾在报纸闲话栏里出现过的人物,作家、艺术家、演员之类的三教九流,甚至他们之中十分不堪的角色,只要她曾在书报上读到过他们的事,她都想招讪。

时至今日,我仍可以忆起她在那个难忘的下午——且别管是多少年之前——的样子,仿佛这只是昨天的事。她坐在休息室那张特别中意的沙发上,盘算着进攻的手法;从她仓促张皇的神态,甚至还用夹鼻眼镜轻叩牙齿,我看得出来她正在煞费苦心。她匆匆吃完餐后水果,没来得及用那道甜食,从这一点,我就知道她想在这位客人之前吃完午饭,以便安坐在他必经之路上守候。突然间,她转身向我,小眼睛闪着光,说道:

“快上楼去把我外甥那封信找出来。记住,就是他度蜜月时写的那封,内附照片的。马上拿来给我!”

我知道她的计划已拟订就绪,准备用外甥来作媒介了。我讨厌自己非得在她的诡计中扮演这样的角色。这也不是第一回了。我就像一个耍戏法的副手,专在一旁把小道具递上去,此后就一声不吭,全神贯注地等待主人给我暗示。这位新来的客人不喜欢别人打扰,这点我敢肯定。十个月以前,她从几份日报上搜罗了有关此人的零星的流言蜚语,一直把它贮藏在记忆中,以为将来之用。吃午饭时她曾对我说了一鳞半爪。尽管我还年轻,不识世故,但从这些片言只语中我想象得出,他一定讨厌别人突如其来地闯来打扰。他为什么选中蒙特卡洛的“蔚蓝海岸”,到这儿来,这与我们毫不相干。他有自己的心事,这些心事别人不可能理解;当然,只有范-霍珀夫人是例外。这位夫人从来不懂得怎样处世才得体,也不讲究谨慎行事,飞短流长倒是她生活里须臾不可缺的。因此,这位陌生人必须经她细加剖析。我在她书桌的鸽笼式文件分类架上找着了那封信,在下楼回到休息室前犹豫了一会儿。不知为什么,我感到,这样仿佛就给了他更多一点幽然独处的时间。

我多希望自己有勇气从侍者专用楼梯下去,绕个圈子,跑到餐厅去告诉他有人埋伏着等候他。但是,社会礼俗对我束缚至深;再说,我也不知道该如何对他说才好。所以我只有坐到范-霍珀夫人旁边那只通常由我占坐的座位上去,任她像一只得意的大蜘蛛似地编织那令人讨厌的大网,去纠缠那陌生人。

我走开的时间比我想象的要长些。等我口到休息室,他已离开餐厅,而她则担心对象溜走,来不及等我取了信来,已经厚着脸皮另外设法作了自我介绍,此刻他竟已坐在她身边的沙发上了。我穿过大厅向他们走去,一言不发地把信递给她。他立刻站起身来。范-霍珀夫人因为自己计谋得逞兴奋得满面红光,她朝我这个方向胡乱地挥挥手,含糊不清地介绍了我的名字。

“德温特先生与我们一起用咖啡。去对侍者说再端一杯来。”她说话的语气非常之简慢,以让他知道我的地位。她的意思是说,我是个无足轻重的小妞儿,谈话时大可不必顾及。每当她炫耀自己时,总是用这种语气说话;而她把我介绍于人的方法也是一种自我护卫,因为有一次我竟被人误认为她的女儿,两人同时感到莫大的窘迫。她这种无礼的样子告诉人们:可以把我撇在一边而毫无关系。于是太太们向我略一点头,既算是打招呼,同时又是遣我走开的意思;男客则大大松一口气,知道他们可以重新舒舒服服地就座,而不必有失礼的顾虑。

因此,看到这位新来的客人一直站着不坐下,并自己招呼侍者取咖啡来,我是觉得很奇怪的。

“恐怕我非得同您抵触一下不可,”他对她说。“是你们二位同我一道用咖啡。”还没等我发现是怎么回事,他已坐在通常总由我占坐的硬椅上,而我却已坐在范-霍珀夫人身边的沙发里。

好一会儿,她看上去有点不高兴,因为这不符合她原先的设想,但过后马上又眉飞色舞了,把她肥大的身子横插在茶几与我的中间,俯身向着他的椅子,大声唠叨,手里则挥舞着那封信:

“你知道,你一进餐厅我就认出你了,我想:‘咦,这不是德温特先生,不是比尔的朋友吗?我一定要把比尔和他新娘度蜜月时拍的照片拿给他瞧瞧。’呶,就是这些照片。这是朵拉,真是个尤物,对吗?瞧她那杨柳细腰,那一对大杏眼。这是他们在棕榈海湾晒日光浴。你可以想象得到,比尔爱她简直爱得发疯了。当然,比尔在奇拉里奇大饭店请客那当儿,还没认识她呢!就在那次宴会上我第一次见到你。不过,我敢说,你决不会记得我这样一个老太婆的。”一边说,一边挑逗地飞眼,还把闪闪发光的牙齿露出来。

“恰恰相反,我清楚地记得您,”他说,接着,还没等她来得及布下圈套来扯着她没完没了地回忆第一次会面的情景,他已把烟盒递过去,擦火点烟使她一时无法开口。“我并不喜欢棕榈海滩,”他一边说,一边吹熄火柴。我扫了他一眼,觉得他如果出现在佛罗里达州的背景之前,一定得非常不协调。他应当属于十五世纪颓垣围着的那些城市,城里有狭窄的、鹅卵石铺成的街道和细长的尖塔,居民都穿着尖头鞋和长统的绒线袜。他的面容非常吸引人,很敏感,神奇而不可思议地带着中世纪的味道。我看着他就想起在一个什么地方画展里曾见到过的一幅画像,某位无名绅士的画像。只要有人剥去他那身英国式的花呢服装,给他穿上黑衣服,领口和袖口都镶上花边,他就会从一个遥远的古代,凝视着我们这些生活在现代世界的人。在那遥远的古代,绅士们披着大氅在黑夜里行走,站在古老门庭的阴影里;狭窄的梯级,阴暗的地牢,漆黑之中的低语声,剑的闪光,还有那种无言的优雅礼仪。

我真希望能够记起作这幅画像的大师。画像挂在画廊的一个角落里,画中人的双眼透过布满尘埃的镜框一直盯住你……

可是,这会儿他们俩却正谈得起劲,两人刚才谈些什么,我都没听见,此刻只听得他说:“不,即使在二十年前也不是这样。那类事情我从不觉得有趣。”

接着我就听见范-霍珀夫人放纵而自得的笑声。“倘若比尔这小子有一个像曼陀丽那样的家,他可就不愿去棕榈海滩乱逛啦,”她说。“人们都说曼陀丽是仙乡,没有其他词汇可以形容。”

她打住了,期待他报以微笑,可他仍然自顾自地抽烟。尽管表情淡漠得难以觉察,我却注意到他微微皱了皱眉头。

“当然啦,我见到过曼陀丽的照片,”她何住他不放。“太迷人了,我记得比尔跟我说过,曼陀丽的美胜过所有其他的大庄园,我真不懂你怎么竟舍得离开它。”

这会儿,他的沉默已使人十分难堪,换了别人,都早已一眼看得出了。可她却照样喋喋不休,像一匹笨拙的公羊,撞进别人悉心保护的地界,左右奔突,任意践踏。我只觉得血往脸上涌,因为她正拖着我一道去受羞辱。

“自然罗,你们英国男人对家的态度全是一样的,”她的嗓门越来越大。“你们贬低自己的家,以显示你们并不傲慢。在曼陀丽不是有一个中世纪吟游诗人的画廊吗?还有许多价值连城的藏画,是吗?”她转过脸来对我说话,自是解释给我听:“德温特先生可谦虚了,所以他不愿说老实话。但我敢说他那可爱的老家早从征服时代①起,就属于他那个家族了。听人们说那吟游诗人画廊的藏画珍贵得不得了。德温特先生,我想你家祖先经常在曼陀丽招待王族吧?”——

①指1066年威廉王征服英国。

出生至今,我还从未忍受过这样的难堪,即使在她手里也没有过。不料对方竟猝不及防地讽刺开了;“是啊,早在埃塞尔德大王①时起就属于我家了,”他说。“就是被人称为‘尚未准备好’的那个英王。事实上,他是住在我家时得到这个绰号的,因为开饭时他总是迟到。”——

①指英王埃塞尔德二世(968?——1016)

当然,这是她应得的报应!我等着她变脸。可是说来叫人难以相信,他的这一席话居然对她毫无作用,我就只好代她坐针毡,像被打了个耳刮子的小孩似的。

“真的吗?”她一错再错。“我一点儿不知道。我的历史知识很靠不住,那么许多英王总是把我弄得稀里糊涂。但这一切又是多么有趣啊。我一定得写信告诉我女儿去,她可是位大学者。”

谈不下去了。我只觉得自己双颊排红。我太年轻了,所以束手无策。要是我年长几岁,那我就会捕捉他的眼光,向他微笑;范-霍珀夫人那种令人难以置信的表现使我与他之间达成了某种默契。但当时的事实是,我羞愧得无地自容,又一次忍受着青年时代屡见不鲜的痛苦的煎熬。

他大概看出了我为难的处境,于是就从椅子上欠身向我,用温柔的声音对我说话,问我是否再加一点咖啡。当我摇头谢绝时,我觉得他那困惑而沉思的目光依然盯着我。他大概在考虑我与范-霍珀夫人究竟是什么关系,是否应把我们俩都算作一样的庸人。

“您觉得蒙特卡洛如何?可有什么观感?”他问道。把我扯到他们的谈话中去,真弄得我狼狈至极,顿时表现出蓬头散发的昔日女学生稚嫩的样子来。我说了几句显而易见而又愚不可及的话,说这个地方人工雕琢的痕迹过多,但还没等我结结巴巴地说完,范-霍珀夫人打断我:

“她被宠坏了,德温特先生,这就是她的毛病。多少女孩子情愿把自己的眼睛作代价,换得看一着蒙特卡洛的机会。”

“这样一来不是达不到目的了吗?”他脸上挂着隐约的笑容说。

她耸耸肩,喷出一大团烟雾。我看她一下子还没领会他的意思。“我可是蒙特卡洛的忠实常客,”她告诉他。“英国的冬天可真叫人吃不消,我受不了那种气候,你倒是为什么也上这儿来?你不是这儿的常客。你想玩‘雪米’①吗?有没有把高尔夫球棒带来?”——

①一种类似“接龙”的纸牌戏。

“我还没想好呢,我离家时很匆忙,”他答道。

他自己的这几句话一定震动了某种回忆,他的脸色又阴沉下来,并微微皱起眉头。她却依然无动于衷地絮叨不休。“自然你会怀恋曼陀丽的浓雾,这完全是另外一种景象。西部农村在春天一定是令人心旷神信的。”他把手伸向烟灰碟,捻熄了香烟。我注意到他的眼神有一种微妙的变化,有一种无法确切描写的东西在那儿游移了片刻;我似乎看到了他的某种隐私,可这又与我何千?”

“是的,我离开时正是曼陀丽最美的时候,”他简短地说。

接着大家都沉默了,继沉默之后是难堪。我偷偷看他一眼,不禁更清晰地联想到我那位无名绅士:披着大氅,行踪诡秘,黑夜中在回廊里踯躅。是范-霍珀夫人的声音,电铃似地撕裂了我的幻想。

“我想你在这儿一定认识不少人,不过今年冬天蒙特卡洛比较乏味,碰不到几位名人。米德尔塞克斯公爵在这儿,住在自己的游艇上。我还没来得及上游艇去看望他呢!(据我所知,她从来没有上过那游艇。)你自然认识芮尔-米德尔塞克斯罗。真是个迷人的尤物!人家总说第二个孩子不是公爵生的,我可不相信。一个女人长得好,别人就爱说些闲话,对吗?而她恰恰是如此付人喜欢。卡克斯顿与希斯洛普婚后关系不好,是真的吗?”她不住地唠叨,都是些东拉西扯、乱七八糟的流言蜚语,始终没有意识到这些名字对他是完全陌生、毫无意义的。她也没注意到,自己越是不顾对方的反应,一味信口雌黄,对方就越是冷淡,话也说得更少了。但他从不打断她,也不看手表,似乎从他当着我的面出了她的洋相,犯了个最初的错误后,他已经为自己规定了一种行为的准则,要不折不扣地按准则行事,而不愿再冒犯别人了。最后,一个传呼旅客的侍者跑来说有一名裁缝在房间里等候范-霍珀夫人,才算替他解了围。

他立即站起身来,挪开椅子,说道:“别让我耽搁您。现在衣服的流行式样变得太快了,等不得您上楼,衣服式样可能又变啦。”

他的嘲弄并没有刺痛她,她反而把这句话当作了恭维。“能够这样遇上你真太高兴了,德温传先生,”她一边说,一边同我向着电梯走去。“既然我已唐突地开了个头,希望能不时见到你。你一定得到我房间里来坐坐,喝上一杯。明天晚上可能一两位客人来看我,你也来吧。”我赶快转过脸去,生怕看到他设法推辞的窘态。

“抱歉得很,”他说。“明天我可能驾车到索期派尔去,什么时候回来也还不知道呢。”

她只好无可奈何地作罢,但我们还在电梯门旁徘徊着。

“我想他们一定给你弄了个好房间。旅馆里一半都空着,所以要是你觉得不舒适,务必跟他们闹一场去。你的行李,仆人总给料理好了吧?”这种熟稔态度实在太过分了,即使在她身上也罕见。我瞥见了他的脸色。

“我没有仆人,”他不动声色地回答说。“也许您愿意为我去打开行李吧!”

这回一箭射中了靶子,她的脸涨成了猪肝色,只好尴尬地笑笑。

“啊,我可不是说……”接着,真是叫人无法相信。她突然转过身来对我说:“假如需要,也许你能帮帮德温特先生的忙,你在许多方面都是个能干的孩子。”

又是一阵短暂的沉默。我大惊失色,呆呆地站着,等他回话。他俯视着我们,带着挖苦的表情,略带傲慢,唇边挂着隐约的浅笑。

“妙极了,”他说。“但是我信奉我家的老话:单身旅客行路最快。也许您从来没有听说过这句话吧!”

接着,没等到范-霍珀夫人回答,他转过身,走开了。

“多滑稽啊!”我们乘电梯上楼时范-霍珀夫人说。“你觉得他唐突地离开是不是一种幽默?男人是经常做出这种怪事的。我记得曾经有一位出名的作家,每见我走来就从侍者专用楼梯飞奔而下,我看他大概对我着了迷,可又缺乏自信。不过那时我还年轻。”

电梯摇晃一下,停了。我们到了自己住的那一层楼,开电梯的侍者拉开了门。“顺便说一下,亲爱的,”在走廊上她对我说,“别怪我又数落你。不过今天下午你有点放肆,你竟想独揽大家的谈话,这使我很难堪。而且,我敢说他也有同感,男人是不喜欢这种样子的。”

我没吭声,看来说什么对她也都白搭。“啊,好了,别不高兴,”她笑着耸耸肩。“毕竟我要对你在这儿的行为负责。你自然不妨听我的忠告,论年纪我可以做你妈妈了。Ehbien,Blaize,BlaiZe,ieviens①……”哼着小调,她走进卧室。裁缝正等着她——

①法语:“好喔,布莱兹,我来了。”

我跪在临窗的椅子上,观看午后的街景。阳光灿烂,一阵大风欢快地吹着。半小时之内,我们又要坐下打桥牌了。窗户紧闭,热水河开得足足的。我想到了总要我去收拾烟灰碟,乱七八糟地堆满染着唇膏的捻扁的烟蒂和丢弃的奶油巧克力糖。我的智力是在学习快照摄影,学习如何组织美满家庭的过程中发展起来的。这样的头脑很难适应桥牌这玩意儿;再说,她的朋友们也不耐烦同我一道打牌。

我觉得有我这样一个年轻姑娘在场,他们就不能随心所欲地谈话,正像在饭后水果端来以前,当着客厅女仆的面不能畅所欲言一样。因为有我在场,他们很难一下子打开话匣子,说些既有诽谤中伤又有影射暗示的闲话。于是,男客就会装出一种很不自然的热忱,问我一些滑稽可笑的有关历史或绘画的问题。他们以为我离开学校不久,与我攀谈,只好说说这些。

我叹了口气,从窗口回转身来。阳光充满着希望;大海在劲吹的风中掀起白浪。我想起一两天前曾路经的摩纳哥,那儿的某个街角有一座歪斜的房屋,弯身倾向鹅卵石铺成的广场。在高高的倾圮的屋顶处,有一个狭缝似的窗口,这窗子背后也许曾住过中世纪的古人吧。从书桌上拿起铅笔和纸,我心不在焉地画了起来,全凭想象画出一幅苍白的、带鹰钩鼻的侧面头像,阴郁的眼睛,一道高鼻梁,挂着嘲笑的上唇。接着我又给画中人加了一撮尖尖的胡须,领口处镶上花边,就像那位大师在许久以前一个逝去了年代中所画的一样。

有人敲门。进来的是开电梯的侍者,手里拿着一封便柬。“夫人在卧室里,”我告诉他。可是他却摇摇头说这封信是给我的。我拆开信封,发现里面只有一张笔记簿纸,一个阳生的笔迹在上面写了几个字:

“原谅我,今天下午我太无礼了。”

就是这么几个字,既无签名,也没有抬头。但信封上明明写着我的名字,而且居然拼对了,这是很难得的。

“有回信吗?”侍者问我。

我从那几个草字上抬起头来,答道:“不,不。没有回信。”侍者走后,我把便束塞进衣袋,又去看我那张铅笔画。但是不知为什么,我不再喜欢它了。那面容死板而没有生气,镶花边的领口和胡须竟成了煞费猜想的字谜中的点缀了。

一天一章就是泛读,配合中文,跟生词混个脸熟。英语大牛表笑话蜗牛哈
谢谢《Horizon》的链接,那个小说我是精读的,词汇更难一些。

这种文豪的杰作,精读一定很有嚼头,《 LOST HORIZON 》精读完成了吗?

英文和中文怎么差别这么大,
They say he can't get over his wife's death ... '
听人说,他妻子死了,给他的打击太大,一时还没恢复过来……”

说明原著文字精炼。其实这种现象很好理解,反过来,如果中文文字精炼的话,翻译成英文也得好多字,比如,“自从那次他马失前蹄后便一蹶不振”,试试看如何翻译成英文?

谢谢楼主分享!新年新气象,每天跟上进度学英语。

觉得发贴的速度快慢和文字量如何?
[/FONT]

最后编辑: 2017-01-26
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
后面篇幅长了,一天一章就困难了,因为还想记记单词。尽量跟上。

不过确实写得美, 那种散发着自然气息的文字,如画的细节描写,令人忍不住一读再读。女性文学,跟王安忆的风格仿佛。

《 LOST HORIZON 》就没时间看了,先跟这个,完成后我接力上传。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
[FONT=宋体]Chapter four

The morning after the bridge party Mrs Van Hopper woke with a sore throat and a temperature of a hundred and two. I rang up her doctor, who came round at once and diagnosed the usual influenza. 'You are to stay in bed until I allow you to get up, ' he told her; 'I don't like the sound of that heart of yours, and it won't get better unless you keep perfectly quiet and still. I should prefer', he went on, turning to me, 'that Mrs Van Hopper had a trained nurse. You can't possibly lift her. It will only be for a fortnight or so. ' I thought this rather absurd, and protested, but to my surprise she agreed with him. I think she enjoyed the fuss it would create, the sympathy of people, the visits and messages from friends, and the arrival of flowers. Monte Carlo had begun to bore her, and this little illness would make a distraction. The nurse would give her injections, and a light massage, and she would have a diet. I left her quite happy after the arrival of the nurse, propped up on pillows with a falling temperature, her best bed-jacket round her shoulders and be-ribboned boudoir cap upon her head. Rather ashamed of my light heart, I telephoned her friends, putting off the small party she had arranged for the evening, and went down to the restaurant for lunch, a good half hour before our usual time. I expected the room to be empty - nobody lunched generally before one o'clock. It was empty, except for the table next to ours. This was a contingency for which I was unprepared. I thought he had gone to Sospel. No doubt he was lunching early because he hoped to avoid us at one o'clock. I was already half-way across the room and could not go back. I had not seen him since we disappeared in the lift the day before, for wisely he had avoided dinner in the restaurant, possibly for the same reason that he lunched early now. It was a situation for which I was ill-trained. I wished I was older, different. I went to our table, looking straight before me, and immediately paid the penalty of gaucherie by knocking over the vase of stiff anemones as I unfolded my napkin. The water soaked the cloth, and ran down on to my lap. The waiter was at the other end of the room, nor had he seen. In a second though my neighbour was by my side, dry napkin in hand. 'You can't sit at a wet tablecloth, ' he said brusquely; 'it will put you off your food. Get out of the way. ' He began to mop the cloth, while the waiter, seeing the disturbance, came swiftly to the rescue. 'I don't mind, ' I said, 'it doesn't matter a bit. I'm all alone. ' He said nothing, and then the waiter arrived and whipped away the vase and the sprawling flowers. 'Leave that, ' he said suddenly, 'and lay another place at my table. Mademoiselle will have luncheon with me. ' I looked up in confusion. 'Oh, no, ' I said, 'I couldn't possibly. ' 'Why not?' he said. I tried to think of an excuse. I knew he did not want to lunch with me. It was his form of courtesy. I should ruin his meal. I determined to be bold and speak the truth. 'Please, ' I begged, 'don't be polite. It's very kind of you but I shall be quite all right if the waiter just wipes the cloth. ' 'But I'm not being polite, ' he insisted. 'I would like you to have luncheon with me. Even if you had not knocked over that vase so clumsily I should have asked you. ' I suppose my face told him my doubt, for he smiled. 'You don't believe me, ' he said; 'never mind, come and sit down. We needn't talk to each other unless we feel like it. ' We sat down, and he gave me the menu, leaving me to choose, and went on with his hors d'oeuvre as though nothing had happened. His quality of detachment was peculiar to himself, and I knew that we might continue thus, without speaking, throughout the meal and it would not matter. There would be no sense of strain. He would not ask me questions on history. 'What's happened to your friend?' he said. I told him about the influenza. 'I'm so sorry, ' he said, and then, after pausing a moment, 'you got my note, I suppose. I felt very much ashamed of myself. My manners were atrocious. The only excuse I can make is that I've become boorish through living alone. That's why it's so kind of you to lunch with me today. ' 'You weren't rude, ' I said, 'at least, not the sort of rudeness she would understand. That curiosity of hers - she does not mean to be offensive, but she does it to everyone. That is, everyone of importance. ' 'I ought to be flattered then, ' he said; 'why should she consider me of any importance?' I hesitated a moment before replying. 'I think because of Manderley, ' I said. He did not answer, and I was aware again of that feeling of discomfort, as though I had trespassed on forbidden ground. I wondered why it was that this home of his, known to so many people by hearsay, even to me, should so inevitably silence him, making as it were a barrier between him and others. We ate for a while without talking, and I thought of a picture postcard I had bought once at a village shop, when on holiday as a child in the west country. It was the painting of a house, crudely done of course and highly coloured, but even those faults could not destroy the symmetry of the building, the wide stone steps before the terrace, the green lawns stretching to the sea. I paid twopence for the painting - half my weekly pocket money - and then asked the wrinkled shop woman what it was meant to be. She looked astonished at my ignorance. 'That's Manderley, ' she said, and I remember coming out of the shop feeling rebuffed, yet hardly wiser than before. Perhaps it was the memory of this postcard, lost long ago in some forgotten book, that made me sympathize with his defensive attitude. He resented Mrs Van Hopper and her like with their intruding questions. Maybe there was something inviolate about Manderley that made it a place apart; it would not bear discussion. I could imagine her tramping through the rooms, perhaps paying sixpence for admission, ripping the quietude with her sharp, staccato laugh. Our minds must have run in the same channel, for he began to talk about her. 'Your friend, ' he began, 'she is very much older than you. Is she a relation? Have you known her long?' I saw he was still puzzled by us. 'She's not really a friend, ' I told him, 'she's an employer. She's training me to be a thing called a companion, and she pays me ninety pounds a year. ' 'I did not know one could buy companionship, ' he said; 'it sounds a primitive idea. Rather like the Eastern slave market. ' 'I looked up the word "companion" once in the dictionary, ' I admitted, 'and it said "a companion is a friend of the bosom". ' 'You haven't much in common with her, ' he said. He laughed, looking quite different, younger somehow and less detached. 'What do you do it for?' he asked me. 'Ninety pounds is a lot of money to me, ' I said. 'Haven't you any family?' 'No-they're dead. ' 'You have a very lovely and unusual name. ' 'My father was a lovely and unusual person. ' 'Tell me about him, ' he said. I looked at him over my glass of citronade. It was not easy to explain my father and usually I never talked about him. He was my secret property. Preserved for me alone, much as Manderley was preserved for my neighbour. I had no wish to introduce him casually over a table in a Monte Carlo restaurant.

第04章

桥牌会的次日,范-霍珀夫人醒来时咽喉干涩发痛,体温一百零二度。我给她的大夫挂了电话,大夫立刻赶来,诊断说是普通的流行性感冒。“在我同意你起床前,你得躺着休息,”大夫叮嘱说。“听上去你的心跳有点异样。如不绝对卧床静养,是很难好转的。我的意见是——”他转身对着我说,“替范-霍珀夫人找一名特别护士来。你连扶她坐起来的力气都没有。护理两星期左右就可以了。”

我觉得另请护士未免荒唐,就表示异议。可是,出乎我的意料,范-霍珀夫人同意大夫的建议。我想,她是巴不得小题大作。这样,人们就会来探望,或是写信表示慰问,还会有人送鲜花。她对蒙特卡洛已开始腻烦,身染微恙不失为一种调剂。

护士将给她打针,并施以轻微的按摩;她还得按规定食谱进食。护士来后,我就走开了。当时她的体温已开始下降,背靠着叠起的枕头坐在床上,披着她最华贵的睡衣,缀有缎带的闺房小帽覆着脑门,显出心满意足的样子。我松了一口气,可是又因此觉得内疚,怀着这种矛盾的心情,我去给她的朋友打电话,取消原已安排在当夜举行的小型聚会,接着就比平时提前整整一小时到楼下餐厅去吃午饭。我原以为餐厅定然空无一人,因为客人一般都不在一点钟前吃午饭。果然,餐厅里空荡荡的,只是我们的邻桌已有人占了。真是意外!对此我完全没有思想准备。他不是去索斯派尔了吗?毫无疑问,他怕一点钟再碰到我们,这才提前吃午饭。这时我已穿过半个餐厅,没法再扭头往回走了。前一天在电梯口分手之后,我没有再见到过他。因为他很乖觉,未在餐厅吃晚饭。此刻提早吃午饭想来也是出于同样的原因。

这种场面该如何应付,我没有经验。我要是年长几岁,受过另一种教育,该多好!我国不斜视地朝我们那张餐桌走去。展开餐巾时,我竟碰翻了一瓶僵直的银莲花,真是报应!谁叫我笨手笨脚的!水渗过桌布,滴滴答答流到我裙子上。侍者远在餐厅另一头,再说他也没看见这儿有人闯了祸。可是邻座容却突然出现在我身边,手拿一方干的餐巾。

“你可不能坐在湿漉漉的桌布旁吃饭,”他不客气地说。“会让你倒胃口的。快走开。”

他动手去擦桌布。这时,侍者看见了,赶快走来帮忙。

“我不在乎,”我说。“一点儿没关系。反正就我一个人。”

他没吭声,侍者走来,动作利索地把花瓶和撒了一桌子的花拾掇了。

“让它去吧,”他突然吩咐侍者。“去我桌上添一副刀叉。小姐同我共进午餐。”

我气急败坏地抬起头来说:“喔!不,这可绝对不行!”

“为什么?”他问。

我搜索枯肠,想找个借口。我知道他并不愿意同我共进午餐,只不过虚礼敷衍而已。我会毁了他这顿饭的。我打定主意有话直说。

“不,”我央求道。“请不必客气。承蒙你邀请,不过只要侍者把桌布擦一擦,我就在这儿吃也蛮好。”

“可我不是同你客气,”他并不让步。“我很希望你能同我一起吃午饭。即使你没有冒冒失失地撞翻花瓶,我也会邀请你的。”他大概从我脸上看出狐疑的神情,所以就微笑着往下说:“你不相信我,那也没关系。过来坐下。要是不愿意,咱们不一定要说话。”

我们坐下了。他把菜单递过来,让我点菜,自己却若无其事地只顾继续吃那道餐前的开胃小吃。

孤高是此人独特的个性。我相信,我们两人可以就这样埋头吃完一顿饭,一句话也不说。这也没有什么关系,不会因此感到任何不自然。他才不会来考问我的历史知识呢!

“你那位朋友怎么啦?”他问。我说她得了流行性感冒。他说:“真糟糕。”过了片刻,他又接着说:“我想那便柬你收到了。我很惭愧,我的举止太不成体统。对此我只能找到一个借口:单身生活使我变成了粗鲁的乡巴佬。所以,你今天跟我共进午餐,我很领情。”

“谈不上粗鲁,”我说。“至少她并没感觉到。她那种好奇心——她倒不是有意冒犯;她对谁都这样,我是说,对有地位的人。”

“这么说来,我倒应该感到不胜荣幸才是,”他说。“她为什么把我看作有地位的人?”我迟疑片刻后才回答:

“我想是因为曼陀丽吧。”

他没作声。我又一次觉得浑身上下不自在,像是闯了谁的禁区。我不明白,一提到他的家,那个一传十,十传百,人所共知的家,连我这样的小人物也听说过,怎么老是使他讳莫如深,顿时就在他和别人之间筑起某种可以称之为屏障的东西。

一时,两人都不说话,只顾埋头吃饭。我记得童年时代有一次到西部乡村去度假,曾在某个村落的小铺子里买了一张彩图明信片。图上画着一幢大宅。当然,画很拙劣,色彩也俗气。可是即使有这些缺点,画中的大宅仍不失其匀称美:平台前宽阔的石级;绿茵茵的草坪朝着海滨延伸。买这张明信片,我花了两个便士——一星期零用钱的一半。后来,我问开铺子的那个满脸皱纹的老太婆,图片上画的是什么。对于我的孤陋寡闻,老太婆着实吃了一惊

“那是曼陀丽啊!”她说。我还记得自己如何灰溜溜走出铺子,她的指点并没使我开窍。

这张明信片后来不知往哪本书里一夹,早就寻不见了。但也许恰恰因为还记得那张明信片,我才对他那种守口如瓶、提防别人的态度抱有同情。他讨厌范-霍珀夫人之流问长问短,打扰个没完。兴许,曼陀丽这地方有什么神圣之处,因而才不同一般,不容别人议论吧。我可以想象范-霍珀夫人如何踏着咚咚的大步,浏览曼陀丽的房间,以她那种尖利断续的笑声撕裂周围的宁静;她可能是付六个便士买了票,才得以入内参观的。我和他一定想到一块儿去了,因为他开始谈到范-霍珀夫人:

“你的那位朋友比你年长多了。是亲戚?认识很久了吗?”看来,我和夫人的关系对他仍是一个谜。

“确切地说,不是朋友,”我告诉他。“是雇主。她正训练我成为人们称之为‘伴侣’的角色。她每年付我九十英镑。”

“我倒不知道伴侣还能花钱买呢,”他说。“听来真野蛮,很像东方奴隶市场上的买卖。”

“我曾在字典里查‘伴侣’这个词,”我对他说实话。“释义说:‘伴侣就是心腹朋友。’”

“你跟她可没有多少共同点,”他说。

他笑了。笑时,他显得年轻一些,不那么超然,像是变了另外一个人。“为什么干这一行呢?”他问。

“对我,九十英镑可是一大笔钱,”我说。

“难道没有亲人吗?”

“没有——都死了。”

“你的名字很可爱,很别致。”

“我爸爸生前就是一个既可爱又不同凡响的人。”

“跟我讲讲你爸爸,”他说。

我手棒一杯香橼①水,眼光从杯子上方越过,打量着他。说我爸爸的事可不容易,通常我也从不跟人谈起他老人家。爸爸是我珍藏心底的宝贝,只为我一人所有,正如曼院而仅为我的邻座容一人所有一样。我可不想在蒙特卡洛一家饭店的餐桌上,随随便便把爸爸介绍给陌生人——

① 种大柠檬。

后面篇幅长了,一天一章就困难了,因为还想记记单词。尽量跟上。

不过确实写得美, 那种散发着自然气息的文字,如画的细节描写,令人忍不住一读再读。女性文学,跟王安忆的风格仿佛。

《 LOST HORIZON 》就没时间看了,先跟这个,完成后我接力上传。

读中文一下子就能感受到是什么文学,包括伤感文学、女性文学,读英文也能感受到相同的风格吗?静心慢慢地读着是一种享受。

第四章整篇也长,一次发的篇幅如果太长了难免会成为负担,除了读《蝴蝶梦》以外,还要看阅其他读物,看来剪短贴幅势在必行,或周末停发以利于消化回味。

《 LOST HORIZON 》就交给你了,以后要是还有谁愿意参与,志同道合者一起分享和支持。
[/FONT]

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
[FONT=宋体]There was a strange air of unreality about that luncheon, and looking back upon it now it is invested for me with a curious glamour. There was I, so much of a schoolgirl still, who only the day before had sat with Mrs Van Hopper, prim, silent, and subdued, and twenty-four hours afterwards my family history was mine no longer, I shared it with a man I did not know. For some reason I felt impelled to speak, because his eyes followed me in sympathy like the Gentleman Unknown. My shyness fell away from me, loosening as it did so my reluctant tongue, and out they all came, the little secrets of childhood, the pleasures and the pains. It seemed to me as though he understood, from my poor description, something of the vibrant personality that had been my father's, and something too of the love my mother had for him, making it a vital, living force, with a spark of divinity about it, so much that when he died that desperate winter, struck down by pneumonia, she lingered behind him for five short weeks and stayed no more. I remember pausing, a little breathless, a little dazed. The restaurant was filled now with people who chatted and laughed to an orchestral background and a clatter of plates, and glancing at the clock above the door I saw that it was two o'clock. We had been sitting there an hour and a half, and the conversation had been mine alone. I tumbled down into reality, hot-handed and self-conscious, with my face aflame, and began to stammer my apologies. He would not listen to me. 'I told you at the beginning of lunch you had a lovely and unusual name, ' he said. 'I shall go further, if you will forgive me, and say that it becomes you as well as it became your father. I've enjoyed this hour with you more than I have enjoyed anything for a very long time. You've taken me out of myself, out of despondency and introspection, both of which have been my devils for a year. ' I looked at him, and believed he spoke the truth; he seemed less fettered than he had been before, more modern, more human; he was not hemmed in by shadows. 'You know, ' he said, 'we've got a bond in common, you and I. We are both alone in the world. Oh, I've got a sister, though we don't see much of each other, and an ancient grandmother whom I pay duty visits to three times a year, but neither of them make for companionship. I shall have to congratulate Mrs Van Hopper. You're cheap at ninety pounds a year. ' 'You forget', I said, 'you have a home and I have none. ' The moment I spoke I regretted my words, for the secret, inscrutable look came back in his eyes again, and once again I suffered the intolerable discomfort that floods one after lack of tact. He bent his head to light a cigarette, and did not reply immediately. 'An empty house can be as lonely as a full hotel, ' he said at length. 'The trouble is that it is less impersonal. ' He hesitated, and for a moment I thought he was going to talk of Manderley at last, but something held him back, some phobia that struggled to the surface of his mind and won supremacy, for he blew out his match and his flash of confidence at the same time. 'So the friend of the bosom has a holiday?' he said, on a level plane again, an easy camaraderie between us. 'What does she propose to do with it?' I thought of the cobbled square in Monaco and the house with the narrow window. I could be off there by three o'clock with my sketchbook and pencil, and I told him as much, a little shyly perhaps, like all untalented persons with a pet hobby. 'I'll drive you there in the car, ' he said, and would not listen to protests. I remembered Mrs Van Hopper's warning of the night before about putting myself forward and was embarrassed that he might think my talk of Monaco was a subterfuge to win a lift. It was so blatantly the type of thing that she would do herself, and I did not want him to bracket us together. I had already risen in importance from my lunch with him, for as we got up from the table the little mattre d'hotel rushed forward to pull away my chair. He bowed and smiled - a total change from his usual attitude of indifference - picked up my handkerchief that had fallen on the floor, and hoped 'mademoiselle had enjoyed her lunch'. Even the page-boy by the swing doors glanced at me with respect. My companion accepted it as natural, of course; he knew nothing of the ill-carved ham of yesterday. I found the change depressing, it made me despise myself. I remembered my father and his scorn of superficial snobbery. 'What are you thinking about?' We were walking along the corridor to the lounge, and looking up I saw his eyes fixed on me in curiosity. 'Has something annoyed you?' he said. The attentions of the maitre d'hotel had opened up a train of thought, and as we drank coffee I told him about Blaize, the dressmaker. She had been so pleased when Mrs Van Hopper had bought three frocks, and I, taking her to the lift afterwards, had pictured her working upon them in her own small salon, behind the stuffy little shop, with a consumptive son wasting upon her sofa. I could see her, with tired eyes, threading needles, and the floor covered with snippets of material. 'Well?' he said smiling, 'wasn't your picture true?' 'I don't know, ' I said, 'I never found out. ' And I told him how I had rung the bell for the lift, and as I had done so she had fumbled in her bag and gave me a note for a hundred francs. 'Here, ' she had whispered, her tone intimate and unpleasant, 'I want you to accept this small commission in return for bringing your patron to my shop. ' When I had refused, scarlet with embarrassment, she had shrugged her shoulders disagreeably. 'Just as you like, ' she had said, 'but I assure you it's quite usual. Perhaps you would rather have a frock. Come along to the shop some time without Madame and I will fix you up without charging you a sou. ' Somehow, I don't know why, I had been aware of that sick, unhealthy feeling I had experienced as a child when turning the pages of a forbidden book. The vision of the consumptive son faded, and in its stead arose the picture of myself had I been different, pocketing that greasy note with an understanding smile, and perhaps slipping round to Blaize's shop on this my free afternoon and coming away with a frock I had not paid for. I expected him to laugh, it was a stupid story, I don't know why I told him, but he looked at me thoughtfully as he stirred his coffee. 'I think you've made a big mistake, ' he said, after a moment. 'In refusing that hundred francs?' I asked, revolted. 'No - good heavens, what do you take me for? I think you've made a mistake in coming here, in joining forces with Mrs Van Hopper. You are not made for that sort of job. You're too young, for one thing, and too soft. Blaize and her commission, that's nothing. The first of many similar incidents from other Blaizes. You will either have to give in, and become a sort of Blaize yourself, or stay as you are and be broken. Who suggested you took on this thing in the first place?' It seemed natural for him to question me, nor did I mind. It was as though we had known one another for a long time, and had met again after a lapse of years. 'Have you ever thought about the future?' he asked me, 'and what this sort of thing will lead to? Supposing Mrs Van Hopper gets tired of her "friend of the bosom", what then?' I smiled, and told him that I did not mind very much. There would be other Mrs Van Hoppers, and I was young, and confident, and strong. But even as he spoke I remembered those advertisements seen often in good class magazines where a friendly society demands succour for young women in reduced circumstances; I thought of the type of boarding-house that answers the advertisement and gives temporary shelter, and then I saw myself, useless sketch-book in hand, without qualifications of any kind, stammering replies to stern employment agents. Perhaps I should have accepted Blaize's ten per cent. 'How old are you?' he said, and when I told him he laughed, and got up from his chair. 'I know that age, it's a particularly obstinate one, and a thousand bogies won't make you fear the future. A pity we can't change over. Go upstairs and put your hat on, and I'll have the car brought round. ' As he watched me into the lift I thought of yesterday, Mrs Van Hopper's chattering tongue, and his cold courtesy. I had ill-judged him, he was neither hard nor sardonic, he was already my friend of many years, the brother I had never possessed. Mine was a happy mood that afternoon, and I remember it well. I can see the rippled sky, fluffy with cloud, and the white whipped sea. I can feel again the wind on my face, and hear my laugh, and his that echoed it. It was not the Monte Carlo I had known, or perhaps the truth was that it pleased me better. There was a glamour about it that had not been before. I must have looked upon it before with dull eyes. The harbour was a dancing thing, with fluttering paper boats, and the sailors on the quay were jovial, smiling fellows, merry as the wind. We passed the yacht, beloved of Mrs Van Hopper because of its ducal owner, and snapped our fingers at the glistening brass, and looked at one another and laughed again. I can remember as though I wore it still my comfortable, ill-fitting flannel suit, and how the skirt was lighter than the coat through harder wear. My shabby hat, too broad about the brim, and my low-heeled shoes, fastened with a single strap. A pair of gauntlet gloves clutched in a grubby hand. I had never looked more youthful, I had never felt so old. Mrs Van Hopper and her influenza did not exist for me. The bridge and the cocktail parties were forgotten, and with them my own humble status. I was a person of importance, I was grown up at last. That girl who, tortured by shyness, would stand outside the sitting-room door twisting a handkerchief in her hands, while from within came that babble of confused chatter so unnerving to the intruder - she had gone with the wind that afternoon. She was a poor creature, and I thought of her with scorn if I considered her at all. The wind was too high for sketching, it tore in cheerful gusts around the corner of my cobbled square, and back to the car we went and drove I know not where. The long road climbed the hills, and the car climbed with it, and we circled in the heights like a bird in the air. How different his car to Mrs Van Hopper's hireling for the season, a square old-fashioned Daimler that took us to Mentone on placid afternoons, when I, sitting on the little seat with my back to the driver, must crane my neck to see the view. This car had the wings of Mercury, I thought, for higher yet we climbed, and dangerously fast, and the danger pleased me because it was new to me, because I was young. I remember laughing aloud, and the laugh being carried by the wind away from me; and looking at him, I realized he laughed no longer, he was once more silent and detached, the man of yesterday wrapped in his secret self. I realized, too, that the car could climb no more, we had reached the summit, and below us stretched the way that we had come, precipitous and hollow.

围绕着那顿午餐始终有某种奇异的梦幻气氛,今天回想起来,仍然充满着不可思议的魅力。那天,我还是那副女学生模样;就在前一天,我还曾坐在范-霍珀夫人身旁,古板拘谨,哑口无言,畏葸端坐。可是二十四小时之后,我的家史已不复为我一人所有,我竟对素昧平生的一个男子把家史和盘托出。不知怎么的,我觉得非说不可,因为他,就像那位无名绅士一样,眼睛一直盯着我。

我的羞怯消失得无影无踪,与此同时,那不愿说话的舌头也解放了。于是,往事一股脑儿奔渲而出:儿时琐碎无聊的隐私,各种甜酸苦辣。我感到,从我十分拙劣的叙述中,他似乎多少了解到我父亲往昔朝气蓬勃的性格以及我母亲对他的爱。母亲把爱情化作一种生命的活力,使爱情带上神性的光辉,以至于在那个令人心碎的冬天,父亲患肺炎死去之后,她只在人间多呆了短短五个星期,便也绝据长逝了。我记得说到这儿曾上气不接下气的停顿过一会儿,觉得一阵头晕眼花。这时,餐厅里已经高朋满座,伴随着管弦乐队的琴鼓喇叭,人声笑语不绝于耳,还有盘碟清脆的碰撞声。一看门口上方的钟,我发现已经两点了。我们在餐厅里呆了一个半小时,其间都是我一个人在说话。

我猛地回到现实中来,手掌心滚烫,突然不自然了。我涨红脸,期期文文地表示歉意。他可不听这一套。

“开始吃午饭时,我对你说过你的名字可爱又别致,”他说。“如果你不见怪,我还补充一句:这名字对你父亲固然合适,你也受之无愧。同你一起度过的这一个小时使我十分愉快,好长一段时间以来没领略过这种滋味了。你使我跳出自己的小圈圈,摆脱了绝望和内心反省,这两者一年来害得我好苦!”

我看着他,相信他说的是真话。先前那种桎梏不再那样禁锢着他,这样他才更像个现代人,一个活生生的人。他从四下萦绕的阴影中走了出来。

“你知道,”他说,“有某种共同的东西把我们,把你我两人,连结在一起。我们俩在世上都是孤独的。对了,我还有个姐姐,只是不常见面;还有一位老奶奶,出于当孙子的义务,我每年拜访她三次。但是两位亲人都不是伴侣。我得向范-霍珀夫人祝贺,你只要九十英镑一年,够便宜了。”

“你忘了,”我说,“你有个家。我却无家可归。”

一说这话,我就后悔不迭。他的眼神重又变得深邃莫测,我则又一次觉得如坐针毡般的难堪,一个人要是不慎失言,总会有这种老大不自在的感觉。他低下头去点香烟,没有马上回答。

“就寂寞而论,一幢空房子,可能并不比一座熙攘喧闹的旅馆强,”他终于说话了。“问题在于那幢房子还不免带点儿个性。”他深吟半晌,我以为这下他终于要谈到曼陀丽了,可是有什么东酉束缚着他,某种病态的恐惧心理挣扎着浮上他的脑海,占了上风。于是,他吹熄火柴,与此同时,方才一闪而过的那点儿自信也烟消云散了。

“这么说,‘心腹朋友’可以放一天假罗?”他又以平淡的语调对我说话,这种语调使我俩中间产生一种不必拘束的亲切感。“咱们的这位朋友打算怎么打发假日呢?”

我立刻想到摩纳哥那鹅卵石广场,那座带狭窗的房屋。我可以带着素描画本和铅笔在三点前赶到那里。我居然把这些都对他说了,说时也许稍带羞涩,那些虽无才华却喜好某种微不足道的玩意儿的人都这么说话。

“我开车送你去,”他由不得我表示异议。

我记起前一天晚上范-霍珀夫人关于不得放肆的警告。他会不会以为我故意谈到摩纳哥,巧立名目,以便搭车?想到这儿,我窘极了。这种丢脸的事情,范-霍珀夫人是干得出的。我可不愿他把我们两人看作一路货。跟他吃过一顿午饭,我的身价已经大增。所以,当我们起身离开餐桌时,那矮个儿餐厅侍者领班竟三步并作两步赶将过来,替我拖开椅子,他朝我深深一鞠躬,脸带微笑,跟平时那种不屑一顾的淡漠神态相比,简直判若两人。领班替我拾起掉在地上的手绢,还说他希望“小姐午餐吃得满意”。连仁立在转门旁的青年侍者也向我投来恭敬的目光。对于这一切,我那同伴自然习以为常;他又不知道昨天那盘切得不成样子的火腿。看到侍者态度大变,我心里很不是滋味,也看不起自己。我又回想起父亲,他老人家对以外表度人的势利丑态是极为蔑视的。

“你在想什么?”我们沿着走廊向休息室走去。一抬头,我发觉他正好奇地盯着我瞧。

“什么事惹你不高兴了?”他问。

餐厅侍者领班的殷勤引出一连串的回忆。喝咖啡时,我对他说起那个名叫布莱兹的女裁缝。那一回,范-霍珀夫人定做了三件上衣,女裁缝可乐啦。后来,在送裁缝上电梯去的路上,我曾想象她将如何在那狭小闷塞的工场背后的小客厅里,赶制这几件衣服;生肺病的儿子也许就躺在她身旁的沙发上,日益瞧悴下去。我甚至想象出女裁缝如何眯缝着干涩的眼睛,穿针引线;屋子里衣料的碎片撕了一地。

“是吗?”他微笑着说。“你脑子里的图画与事实相符吗?”

“不知道,”我说。“我一直没能亲眼看到。”接着,我又向他描述我如何按铃招呼电梯。而正当我按铃时,女裁缝在提包里摸索了一阵,掏出一张一百法郎的钞票,塞了过来。“(口努),”她用亲呢得讨厌的语调在我耳边说。“我请你收下这笔小小的佣金,请你带你的主人多多光顾本店。”我涨红了脸,窘态毕露,说什么也不肯收钱。女裁缝只好没趣地耸耸肩。“随你的便,”她说。“不过,我向你保证,这种事平常得很。也许你宁愿要件上衣吧。那就找个时间,避开夫人,独个儿到小店来一趟。我一定把你打扮得漂漂亮亮,不要你花一个子儿。”不知为什么,我突然领略到早年儿童时代偷看一部禁书时那种让人恶心的不健康的感觉。生肺病的儿子的形象消失了,代之而出现的是另一幅景象:如果我是另外一种类型的人,我就会报以心照不宜的一笑,把那张油污的钞票塞进口袋,要不就利用这个闲着没事的下午,偷偷到布莱兹的成衣铺去,出来时带着一件对方白送的上衣。

我等着他笑话我,这一切都无聊透了。我也不知道为什么要对他说这些。他沉思地看着我,一边搅动咖啡。

“依我看,你犯了个大错。”过了一会儿,他才说。

“没收下那一百法郎?”我不胜厌恶地问。

“不!天哪,你把我看作什么人了?我是说你到这儿来,跟范-霍珀夫人混在一起是个大错。你不是于这一行的材料。首先,你太年轻,太软弱。布莱兹和她的佣金算不了什么,只不过是个开头,往后这类事还多呢。你要末屈服,要末自己也变成布莱兹式的人物;不然,就照目前的样于生活下去,会弄得走投无路。头一个出主意让你干这一行的是谁?”由他提出这个问题好像颇为自然,我一点儿不介意。我俩像是早就相识的朋友,阔别数年之后在这儿重逢。

“你考虑过今后怎么办吗?”他问我。“还有,如果照目前这样下去,会落得个什么样的结果?有朝一日,范-霍珀夫人对‘心腹朋友’腻了,以后会怎么样?”

我脸上挂着浅笑告诉他,我顾不了那么多。还会有其他范-霍珀夫人之类的间太太,而我还年轻,我有信心,而且身强力壮。不过就在他问我那当儿,我又不禁想起常常刊登在上流社会杂志上的那些求助广告,说是某慈善团体不能坐视青年女子每况愈下而不救,所以要求善男信女援手扶助;我又想到那些应广告呼吁、供人暂时栖身的寄宿舍;接着,我仿佛看到自己正站在脸色严厉的招工代理人跟前,结结巴巴地回答各种问题,手里捧着一个没有一点用处的素描画本,此外就再也提不出其他资历了。也许,我本应收下布莱兹那百分之十的佣金。

“你多大了?”他问。听我报过年龄,他笑了,一边站起身来。“我了解你这种年龄的人,人在这种年龄都特别固执。一千个妖魔鬼怪也不能让你畏惧未来。可惜我俩不能换一换。上楼去戴上帽子,我去把车开过来。”

他目送我跨进电梯。这时我又想到前一天的情景,想到范-霍珀夫人的饶舌和他那种冷冰冰的礼仪。我没看准他的为人:他既不冷酷,也不傲慢;他已是我多年的挚友,我的兄长,尽管我从来不曾有兄弟。那天下午,我完全沉浸在幸福里,当时的心境至今记忆犹新。我仿佛还能看见那天下午挂着缕缕绒毛云的天空和卷起白浪的大海;我仿佛重又感到轻风拂面,听到我自己的以及他应和的笑声。蒙特卡洛不再是我熟识的赌城,也许是因为这地方终于给我带来了一些愉快,散发出某种迄今未有的诱惑力。在这以前,我一定是以呆滞的目光去看这座城市的。在港口,船上的彩色纸条迎风荡漾飞舞,气象万千;码头上,快活的水手满脸堆笑,就像海风一样活泼调皮。我们驾车驶过那条游艇,因为游艇归公爵所有,范-霍珀夫人才青眼相看。我们朝游艇上那块闪亮的青铜名牌嘲弄地捻响手指,接着对视一眼,又大笑一阵。我还记得那套东歪西扭不合身的法兰绒衣裙,仿佛今天还披在身上让我出丑。那条裙子因为穿得更久,比上衣轻薄得多;还有那顶寒酸的女帽,帽滑过于宽阔,脚下那双低眼皮鞋,只有一条皮带作为襻扣;另外,我那双下人的手还紧抓着一副齐臂的长手套。当时的我,模样从未这般幼稚可笑,而内心却又感到前所未有的成熟。范-霍珀夫人和她的流行性感冒对我来说不复存在;什么桥牌,什么鸡尾酒会,也都给忘得一干二净;与此同时,我也忘了自己微贱的下人身分。

我成了有地位的小姐,总算长大成人了。那个小妞儿——站在起居室门外,扭绞着手帕,听着里边你一言我一语的嗡嗡人声,畏缩着不敢进门打扰的张皇失措的小妞——竟也被那天下午的风吹得无影无踪。这小妞儿真可怜,要是思想里居然出现这个小妞的形象,我可瞧不起她。

因为风大,素描画不成。风儿阵阵劲吹,欢快地拂过鹅卵石广场的一角。我俩走回汽车,又不知往哪儿疾驶而去。漫长的公路蜿蜒而上,我们沿着它登山,在群岭之上左盘右旋,就像鸟儿在高空翱翔。他的车同范-霍珀夫人在旅游期间租来的那辆四方形老式戴姆勒牌汽车多么不一样!多少个无风的下午,这辆戴姆勒汽车曾把我们载往曼通尼城。我总是背靠司机,坐在一个手脚动弹不得的座位上,要看车外景色,就非得伸长脖子不可。在我看来,他的车好像长着墨丘利①的双翅,不住地往上飞驶,速度之快令人惊心动魄。惊险给我带来快感。因为我从来没领略过这种滋味。再说,我还年轻——

① 马神话中为诸神报信的使者。

我记得自己放声大笑,笑声顿时被山风从身边带走。可是待我把眼光移过来,我发现他已收敛了笑容。他又像昨天那样缩进神秘的自我外壳,默默地出神。

我还注意到汽车没法再往上开了,原来我们已抵达山顶。来时走过的公路横在我们脚下,十分险峻,深陷在山谷之中。
[/FONT]

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
He stopped the car, and I could see that the edge of the road bordered a vertical slope that crumbled into vacancy, a fall of perhaps two thousand feet. We got out of the car and looked beneath us. This sobered me at last. I knew that but half the car's length had lain between us and the fall. The sea, like a crinkled chart, spread to the horizon, and lapped the sharp outline of the coast, while the houses were white shells in a rounded grotto, pricked here and there by a great orange sun. We knew another sunlight on our hill, and the silence made it harder, more austere. A change had come upon our afternoon; it was not the thing of gossamer it had been. The wind dropped, and it suddenly grew cold. When I spoke my voice was far too casual, the silly, nervous voice of someone ill at ease. 'Do you know this place?' I said. 'Have you been here before?' He looked down at me without recognition, and I realized with a little stab of anxiety that he must have forgotten all about me, perhaps for some considerable time, and that he himself was so lost in the labyrinth of his own unquiet thoughts that I did not exist. He had the face of one who walks in his sleep, and for a wild moment the idea came to me that perhaps he was not normal, not altogether sane. There were people who had trances, I had surely heard of them, and they followed strange laws of which we could know nothing, they obeyed the tangled orders of their own subconscious minds. Perhaps he was one of them, and here we were within six feet of death. 'It's getting late, shall we go home?' I said, and my careless tone, my little ineffectual smile would scarcely have deceived a child. I had misjudged him, of course, there was nothing wrong after all, for as soon as I spoke this second time he came clear of his dream and began to apologize. I had gone white, I suppose, and he had noticed it. 'That was an unforgivable thing for me to do, ' he said, and taking my arm he pushed me back towards the car, and we climbed in again, and he slammed the door. 'Don't be frightened, the turn is far easier than it looks, ' he said, and while I, sick and giddy, clung to the seat with both hands, he manoeuvred the car gently, very gently, until it faced the sloping road once more. "Then you have been here before?' I said to him, my sense of strain departing, as the car crept away down the twisting narrow road. 'Yes, ' he said, and then, after pausing a moment, 'but not for many years. I wanted to see if it had changed. ' 'And has it?' I asked him. 'No, ' he said. 'No, it has not changed. ' I wondered what had driven him to this retreat into the past, with me an unconscious witness of his mood. What gulf of years stretched between him and that other time, what deed of thought and action, what difference in temperament? I did not want to know. I wished I had not come. Down the twisting road we went without a check, without a word, a great ridge of cloud stretched above the setting sun, and the air was cold and clean. Suddenly he began to talk about Manderley. He said nothing of his life there, no word about himself, but he told me how the sun set there, on a spring afternoon, leaving a glow upon the headland. The sea would look like slate, cold still from the long winter, and from the terrace you could hear the ripple of the coming tide washing in the little bay. The daffodils were in bloom, stirring in the evening breeze, golden heads cupped upon lean stalks, and however many you might pick there would be no thinning of the ranks, they were massed like an army, shoulder to shoulder. On a bank below the lawns, crocuses were planted, golden, pink, and mauve, but by this time they would be past their best, dropping and fading, like pallid snowdrops. The primrose was more vulgar, a homely pleasant creature who appeared in every cranny like a weed. Too early yet for bluebells, their heads were still hidden beneath last year's leaves, but when they came, dwarfing the more humble violet, they choked the very bracken in the woods, and with their colour made a challenge to the sky. He never would have them in the house, he said. Thrust into vases they became dank and listless, and to see them at their best you must walk in the woods in the morning, about twelve o'clock, when the sun was overhead. They had a smoky, rather bitter smell, as though a wild sap ran in their stalks, pungent and juicy. People who plucked bluebells from the woods were vandals; he had forbidden it at Manderley. Sometimes, driving in the country, he had seen bicyclists with huge bunches strapped before them on the handles, the bloom already fading from the dying heads, the ravaged stalks straggling naked and unclean. The primrose did not mind it quite so much; although a creature of the wilds it had a leaning towards civilization, and preened and smiled in a jam-jar in some cottage window without resentment, living quite a week if given water. No wild flowers came in the house at Manderley. He had special cultivated flowers, grown for the house alone, in the walled garden. A rose was one of the few flowers, he said, that looked better picked than growing. 'A bowl of roses in a drawing-room had a depth of colour and scent they had not possessed in the open. There was something rather blousy about roses in full bloom, something shallow and raucous, like women with untidy hair. In the house they became mysterious and subtle. He had roses in the house at Manderley for eight months in the year. Did I like syringa, he asked me? There was a tree on the edge of the lawn he could smell from his bedroom window. His sister, who was a hard, rather practical person, used to complain that there were too many scents at Manderley, they made her drunk. Perhaps she was right. He did not care. It was the only form of intoxication that appealed to him. His earliest recollection was of great branches of lilac, standing in white jars, and they filled the house with a wistful, poignant smell. The little pathway down the valley to the bay had clumps of azalea and rhododendron planted to the left of it, and if you wandered down it on a May evening after dinner it was just as though the shrubs had sweated in the air. You could stoop down and pick a fallen petal, crush it between your fingers, and you had there, in the hollow of your hand, the essence of a thousand scents, unbearable and sweet. All from a curled and crumpled petal. And you came out of the valley, heady and rather dazed, to the hard white shingle of the beach and the still water. A curious, perhaps too sudden contrast... As he spoke the car became one of many once again, dusk had fallen without my noticing it, and we were in the midst of light and sound in the streets of Monte Carlo. The clatter jagged on my nerves, and the lights were far too brilliant, far too yellow. It was a swift, unwelcome anticlimax. Soon we would come to the hotel, and I felt for my gloves in the pocket of the car. I found them, and my fingers closed upon a book as well, whose slim covers told of poetry. I peered to read the title as the car slowed down before the door of the hotel. 'You can take it and read it if you like, ' he said, his voice casual and indifferent now that the drive was over, and we were back again, and Manderley was many hundreds of miles distant. I was glad, and held it tightly with my gloves. I felt I wanted some possession of his, now that the day was finished. 'Hop out, ' he said. 'I must go and put the car away. I shan't see you in the restaurant this evening as I'm dining out. But thank you for today. ' I went up the hotel steps alone, with all the despondency of a child whose treat is over. My afternoon had spoilt me for the hours that still remained, and I thought how long they would seem until my bed-time, how empty too my supper all alone. Somehow I could not face the bright inquiries of the nurse upstairs, or the possibilities of Mrs Van Hopper's husky interrogation, so I sat down in the corner of the lounge behind a pillar and ordered tea. The waiter appeared bored; seeing me alone there was no need for him to press, and anyway it was that dragging time of day, a few minutes after half past five, when the nonnal tea is finished and the hour for drinks remote. Rather forlorn, more than a little dissatisfied, I leant back in my chair and took up the book of poems. The volume was well worn, well thumbed, falling open automatically at what must be a much-frequented page. I fled Him, down the nights and down the days; I fled Him, down the arches of the years; I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways Of my own mind; and in the midst of tears I hid from Him, and under running laughter. Up vistaed slopes I sped And shot, precipited Adown Titanic glooms of chasmed fears, From those strong feet that followed, followed after. I felt rather like someone peering through the keyhole of a locked door, and a little furtively I laid the book aside. What hound of heaven had driven him to the high hills this afternoon? I thought of his car, with half a length between it and that drop of two thousand feet, and the blank expression on his face. What footsteps echoed in his mind, what whispers, and what memories, and why, of all poems, must he keep this one in the pocket of his car? I wished he were less remote; and I anything but the creature that I was in my shabby coat and skirt, my broad-brimmed schoolgirl hat. The sulky waiter brought my tea, and while I ate bread-and-butter dull as sawdust I thought of the pathway through the valley he had described to me this afternoon, the smell of the azaleas, and the white shingle of the bay. If he loved it all so much why did he seek the superficial froth of Monte Carlo? He had told Mrs Van Hopper he had made no plans, he came away in rather a hurry. And I pictured him running down that pathway in the valley with his own hound of heaven at his heels. I picked up the book again, and this time it opened at the title-page, and I read the dedication. 'Max- from Rebecca. 17 May', written in a curious slanting hand. A little blob of ink marred the white page opposite, as though the writer, in impatience, had shaken her pen to make the ink flow freely. And then as it bubbled through the nib, it came a little thick, so that the name Rebecca stood out black and strong, the tall and sloping R dwarfing the other letters. I shut the book with a snap, and put it away under my gloves; and stretching to a nearby chair, I took up an old copy of VIllustration and turned the pages. There were some fine photographs of the chateaux of the Loire, and an article as well. I read it carefully, referring to the photographs, but when I finished I knew I had not understood a word. It was not Blois with its thin turrets and its spires that stared up at me from the printed page. It was the face of Mrs Van Hopper in the restaurant the day before, her small pig's eyes darting to the neighbouring table, her fork, heaped high with ravioli, pausing in mid-air. 'An appalling tragedy, ' she was saying, 'the papers were full of it of course. They say he never talks about it, never mentions her name. She was drowned you know, in the bay near Manderley ... '

我们停了车。这时,我看到公路的边沿往外就是一个险坡,陡峭的山坡倾斜着伸向大约二千英尺的深渊。我们走出汽车。往下望去,这下我才算完全看清楚。原来在我们和深渊之间只有半个车身的距离。大海犹如一张起皱的大图纸,铺向地平线,浪花拍击着凹凸分明的海岸钱。房屋像是圆形洞穴里的白色贝壳,硕大的太阳在多处投下斑驳的橙色。我们所在的山头也照着一束阳光,一片死寂之中,阳光显得冷酷而森然。下午出游的气氛变了,不再像刚才那样轻松活泼。风停了。天气突然阴冷下来。

我说话的声音显得过于随便,那是一种人们在极度不安时故作镇静的反常声调:“你认得这地方?”我问。“以前来过吗?”他俯视着我,但认不出我是谁。我急了,觉得一阵隐隐的刺痛,看来他一定把我忘了个精光,也许这样出神已有好大一会儿。他完全陷在自己纷乱可怕的思绪迷津之中,所以我对他已不存在了。

他的脸活像梦游人的脸。他一紧张,甚至想到也许他确实不是个正常人,神经不太健全吧。有些人时而会出神发狂,这我当然听说过;这种人按我们无法理解的反常规律行事,服从下意识的紊乱指令。也许他就是这样一种人。而我们此刻离死神只有六英尺的距离。

“天晚了。回家好吗?”我说。那种漫不经心的语调和硬装出来的笑容连小孩也骗不过。

当然,我到底还是把他看错了。他毕竟没有什么不正常的地方。一听到我第二次开口说话,他猛地从梦幻中挣脱出来,开始道歉。大概我的脸色煞白,他看出来了。

“我真该死,”他说着挽起我的手臂,推我走回汽车。上车以后,他砰地关上车门。“别害怕。这里的转弯看上去挺惊险,其实一点也不费劲儿,”他说。我头昏眼花,直想恶心,双手紧抓着座椅。他却已把车掉过头来,重新面对着下山的公路,动作是那么熟练轻盈,使我一点也没觉得。

“这么说,你从前到过这儿?”我问他。这时,紧张感渐趋消失,车正沿着碗蜒而狭窄的公路缓慢地驶下山来。

“是的,”他说。顿一顿之后,他接着告诉我:“不过那是多年以前的事了。我想看看这地方变样没有。”

“变没变呢?”我问

“没变,”他说。“没有,没变样。”

我猜不透是什么力量驱使他重游故地,回想往事,还带着我这样一个莫名其妙的陌生人来目睹他的喜怒哀乐。他上一次游山至今已有多少个漫长的年头逝去?在此期间,他的内心和他的作为都有哪些不同?气质秉性又有什么变化?我不想了解此中底蕴;我后悔上这儿来。

我们沿着公路迂回下山,一路无话,也没有遇阻停车。一大堆峥嵘的乌云笼罩着落日,空气变得无比清冷。突然他提起了曼陀丽。他不说自己在庄园的生活;关于他本人,他一字不提。他只向我描绘曼陀丽春天黄昏的落日。夕阳在海岬留下火红的余辉,大海顿时变成一片墨绿,因为漫长的冬季刚过,海水仍然冰凉刺骨。置身于屋前的平台,你可以听到小海湾涨潮的涛声。这正是水仙怒放的季节,纤细的花茎托着金色的穗头,在晚风中微微摇曳。比肩密集的水仙犹如一支大军,不论你采摘多少,一点不会显出稀疏的缺口。草坪尽头的海岸上,种植着一大片藏红花,色彩有桔黄、淡红和紫红之别。不过,这时已不是藏红花的全盛季节,所以一朵朵都耷拉着脑袋,色衰花谢,犹如惨白的雪片。报春花比较粗俗低贱一些,就像野草一样,哪儿有缝隙就往哪儿生长,纵然姿色平平,倒也令人赏心悦目。风信子还没到开花时辰,花穗还掩面躲在去年的残叶丛中。但是一等到风信子怒放,不那么娇贵的紫罗兰顿时就相形见细,树林里的羊齿则被吞没得干干净净。风信子的娇艳完全可以同天空媲美。

他说,他从来不许在室内陈设风信于。一插进花瓶,风信子就显得阴湿潦倒。要观赏妩媚绝伦的风信子,你得在正午十二点钟左右太阳当头时到林子里去信步漫游。这种花的香气刺鼻,并带点儿烟味,仿佛花荭里畅流着某种辛辣而饱满的野生液汁。那些在林子里采摘风信子的人简直就是破坏文物的野蛮人,为此,他曾在曼陀丽下过禁令。有时候,他开车穿过田野,看见一些家伙骑自行车经过,车把上捆着大束大束的风信子,因为穗头凋败,花朵已经褪色,被折的荭秆散乱地耷拉着赤裸的身子,成了一团糟。

对于本身的待遇,羊齿可并不十分在乎。这是一种野生植物,可偏偏喜欢与人类文明的雅趣沾点边。它们从农舍窗户后面的果酱罐里探出身来,搔头弄姿,丝毫不觉得有什么委屈,只要罐子里有水,足足可能活一个星期。在曼陀丽,野花不得进屋。他在由围墙圈起的花园里栽培几种仅供室内摆设用的鲜花。他告诉我,难得有几种花摘下之后反而更好看,玫瑰顿就是其中之一。客厅里放一盆玫瑰,色彩鲜艳,浓香扑鼻,而自然界的玫瑰就没有这两大优点。怒放的玫瑰给人某种蓬头垢面的感觉,就像披头散发的女人,显得轻浮而粗俗。可一旦放进屋子,玫瑰时变得神秘深沉。一年之中有八个月,他让人在曼陀丽室内陈设玫瑰。我喜欢丁香吗?他问。草坪的尽头有一棵丁香树,站在他卧室的窗口就可闻到丁香的芬芳。他的姐姐是个冷漠而讲求实际的人,因此常常抱怨曼陀丽到处一片花香,使她沉醉。也许她是对的。那他也不管。唯有花香合他的胃口,使他陶醉。回忆早年,他总想起插在白色花瓶里的大束紫丁香以及弥漫在屋子四处发人遐思的扑鼻异香。

从山谷通向海湾的那条幽径,也是花团锦族,小径的左边种着大丛大丛的各色杜鹃。五月哪一天的黄昏,你如果沿着小径散步,就会发现灌木丛仿佛在风中淌汗。你弯身拾起一片落地的花瓣,用手指把它捻碎,顿时,从你的手掌心散发出干种奇香,沁人心脾。而这一切只不过是由一片被揉捏破碎的花瓣发出的。你悠然神往地走出山谷,来到海滩,脚下是坚硬的白色圆卵石和平静的海水。多么奇妙的对照!也许过于突兀……

他说话的当儿,我们的汽车已回到闹市的交通中心。不知不觉之间,暮色已经降临,我们正置身于蒙特卡洛一片华灯和喧闹之中。大街上的喧嚣声刺激我的神经;黄灿灿的灯光亮得耀眼。时间飞快地溜走,愉快的出游就这样乏味地收场,我真不甘心。

我们马上就要回到旅馆。我在车厢的抽屉里摸索着找我的手套。找到手套的同时,我的手指碰上一本书,精致纤巧的封面说明这是一部诗集。车子在旅馆门前放慢速度的当儿,我正眯缝着眼睛想看清书名。“要是你愿意,拿去读吧,”他说。驾车出游已告结束,我们回到了旅馆,曼陀丽已被抛在几百英里之外,他的语调于是又变得随随便便,漫不经心。

我暗自庆幸,抓着手套的手同时紧紧地抓住这本书。一天就要这样过完,我正想得到一件属他所有的东西。

“下车吧,”他说。“我得把车开过去放好。今晚我上外面吃饭,不会在餐厅里再见到你了。不过我要谢谢你今天陪我。”

我独自走上旅馆的台阶,可怜巴巴的样子活像一个玩乐收场而兴犹未尽的小孩。下午的出游对我是一种娇纵,使我不知如何打发这天余下的几个小时才好。我想到在就寝之前还有好长一段时光,而独个儿去吃晚饭又何其无聊。不知为什么。我觉得无法正面回答楼上那护士狡黠的查询,更无法面对范-霍珀夫人扯着沙哑的嗓子可能对我进行的盘问。所以我干脆在休息室一隅坐下,躲在一根柱子背后,要侍者送茶点来。

侍者显出很不耐烦的样子。看到我独个儿用茶,他自然不必使出浑身解数来。再说,这时刚过五点半,是一天中最无精打采的时刻。一般人都已用过茶点,点菜饮酒却还早着呢。

我的感觉已不仅仅是若有所失,我只觉得凄凉孤独。我仰身靠在椅背上,拿起那部诗集。这本书已久经手指抚弄,显得相当陈旧,所以一下子就自动翻开在某一页上,这一页一定是有人经常翻阅的。

“日日夜夜,我奔逃;

年复一年,我奔逃;

奔逃,奔逃,

穿越内心迷津,透过泪眼腺肥,

我躲开天狗奔逃。

飞也似地奔逃,奔逃;

背后传来连串狂笑,

眼前是斜坡山地。

我纵身投进张着大嘴的深渊,

任恐惧把我心啃咬。

奔逃,奔逃,

别让身后雄健的脚步把我踩倒。”①——

①英国诗人弗朗西斯-汤普逊(1859-1907)所作《天狗》中一段。

我当时的感觉就好似有人从上锁的门外,透过钥匙孔往里窥视,于是我把书偷偷丢在一旁。今天下午是哪条“天狗”把他赶上高山去的?我想到他的汽车,就停靠在离二千英尺深渊仅半个车身的地方;我还想到他脸上那种茫然的表情。在他内心深处回响着什么样的脚步声?什么样的轻声细语?哪些往事唤起了他的回忆?还有,所有的诗集中,他为什么唯独把这一部带在车上?我但愿他不是那么孤高;至于我自己,最好也别是一个衣裙寒怆,戴一顶阔边女学生帽的小妞儿。

侍者铁板着脸端来茶点。我嚼着那像锯屑般干巴巴的黄油面包,一边又想到下午他向我描述过的那条穿山谷而过的幽径,还有杜鹃的花香和海湾处白色的圆卵石,要是他深深爱着这一切,干吗到蒙特卡洛来寻求这华而不实的一时快乐?他曾对范-霍珀夫人说,他并没有事先拟订计划,离家时相当匆忙。我眼前出现了他在山谷幽径狂奔的景象,折磨他的“天狗”在后边紧追不舍。

我又拿起诗集。这一回,书掀在扉页上,我看到上面写着留念题字:“给迈克斯——吕蓓卡赠,五月十七日”。字是用一手相当不凡的斜体写成的。有一小滴墨水沾在对面的空白页上,似乎写字的人因为性急,曾见了甩笔,想使墨水流得更顺畅一些。而当墨水冒着小泡从笔尖淌出时,稍稍有些过量,所以吕蓓卡那浓墨的名字显得很突出,笔力遭劲;那个往一边倾斜的字母R特别高大,对照之下,其他字母显得矮小。

我啪的一声合上诗集,把书塞到手套底下,伸手从近处的一张椅子里拿起一本过期的《插图》杂志,信手翻着。杂志里有几幅挺不错的洛埃河上古城堡的照片,并附有说明文字。我专心阅读这篇文章,不时参看照片。但是待我把这篇文章读完,却意识到自己一个字也没读进去.从印刷物中赫然盯着我的不是布卢瓦地方细长的城堡角楼和锥形尖塔,而是前一天范-霍珀夫人在餐厅里的那副尊容:猪一样的小眼睛向着邻桌扫去,五香碎肉卷串满了餐叉,停在半空不往哈里送。

“骇人的大悲剧,”她说。“当然,报纸上全是关于这出悲剧的报道。大家都说他从不谈论这件事,从不提她的名字。你知道,她是在曼陀丽附近的一个海湾里淹死的……”

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
[FONT=宋体]chapter five

I am glad it cannot happen twice, the fever of first love. For it is a fever, and a burden, too, whatever the poets may say. They are not brave, the days when we are twenty-one. They are full of little cowardices, little fears without foundation, and one is so easily bruised, so swiftly wounded, one falls to the first barbed word. Today, wrapped in the complacent armour of approaching middle age, the infinitesimal pricks of day by day brush one lightly and are soon forgotten, but then - how a careless word would linger, becoming a fiery stigma, and how a look, a glance over a shoulder, branded themselves as things eternal. A denial heralded the thrice crowing of a cock, and an insincerity was like the kiss of Judas. The adult mind can lie with untroubled conscience and a gay composure, but in those days even a small deception scoured the tongue, lashing one against the stake itself. 'What have you been doing this morning?' I can hear her now, propped against her pillows, with all the small irritability of the patient who is not really ill, who has lain in bed too long, and I, reaching to the bedside drawer for the pack of cards, would feel the guilty flush form patches on my neck. 'I've been playing tennis with the professional, ' I told her, the false words bringing me to panic, even as I spoke, for what if the professional himself should come up to the suite, then, that very afternoon, and bursting in upon her complain that I had missed my lesson now for many days? "The trouble is with me laid up like this you haven't got enough to do, ' she said, mashing her cigarette in a jar of cleansing cream, and taking the cards in her hand she mixed them in the deft, irritating shuffle of the inveterate player, shaking them in threes, snapping the backs. 'I don't know what you find to do with yourself all day, ' she went on; 'you never have any sketches to show me, and when I do ask you to do some shopping for me you forget to buy my Taxol. All I can say is that I hope your tennis will improve; it will be useful to you later on. A poor player is a great bore. Do you still serve underhand?' She flipped the Queen of Spades into the pool, and the dark face stared up at me like Jezebel. 'Yes, ' I said, stung by her question, thinking how just and appropriate her word. It described me well. I was underhand. I had not played tennis with the professional at all. I had not once played since she had lain in bed, and that was a little over a fortnight now. I wondered why it was I clung to this reserve, and why it was I did not tell her that every morning I drove with de Winter in his car, and lunched with him, too, at his table in the restaurant. 'You must come up to the net more; you will never play a good game until you do, ' she continued, and I agreed, flinching at my own hypocrisy, covering the Queen with the weak-chinned Knave of Hearts. I have forgotten much of Monte Carlo, of those morning drives, of where we went, even our conversation; but I have not forgotten how my fingers trembled, cramming on my hat, and how I ran along the corridor and down the stairs, too impatient to wait for the slow whining of the lift, and so outside, brushing the swing doors before the commissionaire could help me. He would be there, in the driver's seat, reading a paper while he waited, and when he saw me he would smile, and toss it behind him in the back seat, and open the door, saying, 'Well, how is the friend-of-the-bosom this morning, and where does she want to go?' If he had driven round in circles it would not have mattered to me, for I was in that first flushed stage when to climb into the seat beside him, and lean forward to the wind- screen hugging my knees, was almost too much to bear. I was like a little scrubby schoolboy with a passion for a sixth-form prefect, and he kinder, and far more inaccessible. "There's a cold wind this morning, you had better put on my coat. ' I remember that, for I was young enough to win happiness in the wearing of his clothes, playing the schoolboy again who carries his hero's sweater and ties it about his throat choking, with pride, and this borrowing of his coat, wearing it around my shoulders for even a few minutes at a time, was a triumph in itself, and made a glow about my morning. Not for me the languor and the subtlety I had read about in books. The challenge and the chase. The sword-play, the swift glance, the stimulating smile. The art of provocation was unknown to me, and I would sit with his map upon my lap, the wind blowing my dull, lanky hair, happy in his silence yet eager for his words. Whether he talked or not made little difference to my mood. My only enemy was the clock on the dashboard, whose hands would move relentlessly to one o'clock. We drove east, we drove west, amidst the myriad villages that cling like limpets to the Mediterranean shore, and today I remember none of them. All I remember is the feel of the leather seats, the texture of the map upon my knee, its frayed edges, its worn seams, and how one day, looking at the clock, I thought to myself, 'This moment now, at twenty past eleven, this must never be lost, ' and I shut my eyes to make the experience more lasting. When I opened my eyes we were by a bend in the road, and a peasant girl in a black shawl waved to us; I can see her now, her dusty skirt, her gleaming, friendly smile, and in a second we had passed the bend and could see her no more. Already she belonged to the past, she was only a memory. I wanted to go back again, to recapture the moment that had gone, and then it came to me that if we did it would not be the same, even the sun would be changed in the sky, casting another shadow, and the peasant girl would trudge past us along the road in a different way, not waving this time, perhaps not even seeing us. There was something chilling in the thought, something a little melancholy, and looking at the clock I saw that five more minutes had gone by. Soon we would have reached our time limit, and must return to the hotel. 'If only there could be an invention', I said impulsively, 'that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again. ' I looked up at him, to see what he would say. He did not turn to me, he went on watching the road ahead. 'What particular moments in your young life do you wish uncorked?' he said. I could not tell from his voice whether he was teasing me or not. 'I'm not sure, ' I began, and then blundered on, rather foolishly, not thinking of my words, 'I'd like to keep this moment and never forget it. ' 'Is that meant to be a compliment to the day, or to my driving?' he said, and as he laughed, like a mocking brother, I became silent, overwhelmed suddenly by the great gulf between us, and how his very kindness to me widened it. I knew then that I would never tell Mrs Van Hopper about these morning expeditions, for her smile would hurt me as his laugh had done. She would not be angry, nor would she be shocked; she would raise her eyebrows very faintly as though she did not altogether believe my story, and then with a tolerant shrug of the shoulder she would say, 'My dear child, it's extremely sweet and kind of him to take you driving; the only thing is - are you sure it does not bore him dreadfully?' And then she would send me out to buy Taxol, patting me on the shoulder. What degradation lay in being young, I thought, and fell to tearing my nails. 'I wish, ' I said savagely, still mindful of his laugh and throwing discretion to the wind, 'I wish I was a woman of about thirty-six dressed in black satin with a string of pearls. ' 'You would not be in this car with me if you were, ' he said; 'and stop biting those nails, they are ugly enough already. ' 'You'll think me impertinent and rude I dare say, ' I went on, 'but I would like to know why you ask me to come out in the car, day after day. You are being kind, that's obvious, but why do you choose me for your charity?' I sat up stiff and straight in my seat and with all the poor pomposity of youth. 'I ask you, ' he said gravely, 'because you are not dressed in black satin, with a string of pearls, nor are you thirty-six. ' His face was without expression, I could not tell whether he laughed inwardly or not. 'It's all very well, ' I said; 'you know everything there is to know about me. There's not much, I admit, because I have not been alive for very long, and nothing much has happened to me, except people dying, but you -I know nothing more about you than I did the first day we met. ' 'And what did you know then?' he asked. 'Why, that you lived at Manderley and - and that you had lost your wife. ' There, I had said it at last, the word that had hovered on my tongue for days. Your wife. It came out with ease, without reluctance, as though the mere mention of her must be the most casual thing in all the world. Your wife. The word lingered in the air once I had uttered it, dancing before me, and because he received it silently, making no comment, the word magnified itself into something heinous and appalling, a forbidden word, unnatural to the tongue. And I could not call it back, it could never be unsaid. Once again I saw the inscription on the fly-leaf of that book of poems, and the curious slanting R. I felt sick at heart and cold. He would never forgive me, and this would be the end of our friendship. I remember staring straight in front of me at the windscreen, seeing nothing of the flying road, my ears still tingling with that spoken word. The silence became minutes, and the minutes became miles, and everything is over now, I thought, I shall never drive with him again. Tomorrow he will go away. And Mrs Van Hopper will be up again. She and I will walk along the terrace as we did before. The porter will bring down his trunks, I shall catch a glimpse of them in the luggage lift, with new-plastered labels. The bustle and finality of departure. The sound of the car changing gear as it turned the corner, and then even that sound merging into the common traffic, and being lost, and so absorbed for ever. I was so deep in my picture, I even saw the porter pocketing his tip and going back through the swing-door of the hotel, saying something over his shoulder to the commissionaire, that I did not notice the slowing-down of the car, and it was only when we stopped, drawing up by the side of the road, that I brought myself back to the present once again. He sat motionless, looking without his hat and with his white scarf round his neck, more than ever like someone medieval who lived within a frame. He did not belong to the bright landscape, he should be standing on the steps of a gaunt cathedral, his cloak flung back, while a beggar at his feet scrambled for gold coins. The friend had gone, with his kindliness and his easy camaraderie, and the brother too, who had mocked me for nibbling at my nails. This man was a stranger. I wondered why I was sitting beside him in the car. Then he turned to me and spoke. 'A little while ago you talked about an invention, ' he said, 'some scheme for capturing a memory. You would like, you told me, at a chosen moment to live the past again. I'm afraid I think rather differently from you. All memories are bitter, and I prefer to ignore them. Something happened a year ago that altered my whole life, and I want to forget every phase in my existence up to that time. Those days are finished. They are blotted out. I must begin living all over again. The first day we met, your Mrs Van Hopper asked me why I came to Monte Carlo. It put a stopper on those memories you would like to resurrect. It does not always work, of course; sometimes the scent is too strong for the bottle, and too strong for me. And then the devil in one, like a furtive peeping Tom, tries to draw the cork. I did that in the first drive we took together. When we climbed the hills and looked down over the precipice. I was there some years ago, with my wife. You asked me if it was still the same, if it had changed at all. It was just the same, but - I was thankful to realize - oddly impersonal. There was no suggestion of the other time. She and I had left no record. It may have been because you were with me. You have blotted out the past for me, you know, far more effectively than all the bright lights of Monte Carlo. But for you I should have left long ago, gone on to Italy, and Greece, and further still perhaps. You have spared me all those wanderings. Damn your puritanical little tight-lipped speech to me. Damn your idea of my kindness and my charity. I ask you to come with me because I want you and your company, and if you don't believe me you can leave the car now and find your own way home. Go on, open the door, and get out. ' I sat still, my hands in my lap, not knowing whether he meant it or not. 'Well, ' he said, 'what are you going to do about it?' Had I been a year or two younger I think I should have cried. Children's tears are very near the surface, and come at the first crisis. As it was I felt them prick behind my eyes, felt the ready colour flood my face, and catching a sudden glimpse of myself in the glass above the windscreen saw in full the sorry spectacle that I made, with troubled eyes and scarlet cheeks, lank hair flopping under broad felt hat. 'I want to go home, ' I said, my voice perilously near to trembling, and without a word he started up the engine, let in the clutch, and turned the car round the way that we had come. Swiftly we covered the ground, far too swiftly, I thought, far too easily, and the callous countryside watched us with indifference. We came to the bend in the road that I had wished to imprison as a memory, and the peasant girl was gone, and the colour was fiat, and it was no more after all than any bend in any road passed by a hundred motorists. The glamour of it had gone with my happy mood, and at the thought of it my frozen face quivered into feeling, my adult pride was lost, and those despicable tears rejoicing at their conquest welled into my eyes and strayed upon my cheeks. I could not check them, for they came unbidden, and had I reached in my pocket for a handkerchief he would have seen I must let them fall untouched, and suffer the bitter salt upon my lips, plumbing the depths of humiliation. Whether he had turned his head to look at me I do not know, for I watched the road ahead with blurred and steady stare, but suddenly he put out his hand and took hold of mine, and kissed it, still saying nothing, and then he threw his handkerchief on my lap, which I was too ashamed to touch.

第05章

幸好初恋的狂热不会发生第二次。那确实是种狂热;另外,不管诗人怎么描写,初恋同时又是一种负担。人们在二十一岁上缺乏勇气,因为琐碎小事而怕这怕那,无端担心。在那种年纪,一个人的自尊心很容易受到伤害,动辄生气,听谁说一句略微带刺的话就受不了。今天,我行将跨入中年。中年使人处于满足自得境界的保护之中。中年人也碰到日常的微不足道的烦恼,但他们几乎不感到什么刺痛,而且很快就会把烦恼置之脑后。但那时候情形就大不一样:别人无意之中说的一句话会久久忘不了,成为灼人的耻辱;一个眼色,回眸的一瞥,都可能打上永恒的标记;讨个没趣,那就意味着三夜失眠到鸡啼;言不由衷则像犹大的一吻①。成年人说说可以做到脸不改色心不慌,而在那种年纪,即使在区区小事上说句假话,舌头也会痛上老半天,使你受着炮烙般的苦刑——

①犹大:耶稣门徒,出卖耶稣者。据此,犹大的一吻常被后人用来比喻口出利剑。

“今儿上午你干什么来着?”我还能记起范-霍珀夫人当时的声音。她背靠枕头坐在床上,因为实在没有病,在床上又躺得太久,非常容易为点芝麻绿豆小事发脾气。我伸手从床头柜的抽屉里拿纸牌,由于心里有鬼,觉得脖子都涨红了。

“我在跟职业教练学打网球,”我一边说,一边因为自己信口胡诌而慌了神。要是那职业教练下午突然亲自跑来告状,说我好几天没去上课,那怎么办?

“事情糟就糟在我这么一躺倒,你没事干了,”她说着把香烟捻熄在一只盛洗涤香膏的瓶子里,然后,就以牌迷那种叫人看着讨厌的熟练手法,把牌分成三叠抽上抽下,啪啪出声地弹着纸牌的背面。

“谁知道你成天在干些什么!”她接着说。“你连一张素描也没有交来让我过目。要是真打发你上街,你难会忘了买我的塔克索尔牌香烟日来。我只希望你网球球艺进步,这对你今后有用。球艺糟糕的家伙最叫人受不了。你现在还发下手球吗?”她一抬手把黑桃皇后轻轻掷下,皇后奸恶地瞪眼望着我,那神气活像耶洗别①——

①古以色列王亚哈之妻,揽权无餍,把持恶政。后人常以其比喻阴毒奸恶之悍妇。

“是的,”我答道。她的问题刺痛了我。我想她用的词既公道又贴切,活龙活现地勾划出我的形象。是的,我做事确实偷偷摸摸①:我压根儿没去跟职业教练学打网球,从她卧床时起一次也没打过。到现在已两个多星期了。我真奇怪自己为什么一直把真相隐瞒着,干吗不告诉她每天早上我和德温特一起驾车出游,而且每天在餐厅里同桌吃午饭——

①范-霍珀夫人的问句是“Doyoustillserveunderhand?”,underhand一词在英语中有两个意思,第一义是“低手”,即范-霍珀夫人发问时使用的意义;第二义是“偷偷摸摸”。

“你必须朝近同处跑动,不然就甭想打好球,”她接着说。我接受她的意见,一面提心吊胆地说假话,一面把尖下巴的红桃“J”盖在她的皇后纸牌上面。

关于蒙特卡洛的好多事情我都忘了。我俩如何每天早上驾车去兜风,玩了哪些地方,甚至我俩谈论过什么,全都忘了。但是我没忘记自己如何以颤抖的手指胡乱把帽子往脑门上一覆,又如何在走廊里急跑,并且因为没有耐心等候慢腾腾的电梯而飞奔下楼,不待门役搀扶,擦着转门往外冲去。

他总是坐在驾驶座上,一边等我,一边看报。见到我来,他莞尔一笑,把报纸撂到后座,替我打开车门,问道:“嗨”,‘心腹朋友’今天早上感觉怎么样?爱上哪儿玩去?”可是对我说来,即便他开着车老在一个地方来回绕圈子也没关系,因为这时我正处于出游开始时最得意的心情中。登上汽车,坐在他身边的位置上,抱着双膝,曲身向着前面的挡风玻璃——这一切简直都是难以消受的幸福。我就像一个对六年级的级长崇拜得五体投地的小不点儿,而他呢,他比这样一个级长固然要和善一些,但却难以接近得多。

“今早上风大天冷,你最好穿我的上衣。”

这句话我还记得,因为那时我实在幼稚,穿着他的衣服竟觉得那么甜蜜,仿佛又成了那种替级长抱运动衣的小学生,能够把自己偶像的衣服围在脖子上,得意得要命。借他的上衣,把它技在我的肩头,那怕只有短短几分钟,这本身就是一种胜利,使我的早晨变得光明灿烂!

我在书上读到过,人们在谈情说爱时如何装出懒洋洋的娇态,弄得对方无从捉摸,我可不是这种人。什么欲擒故纵,唇枪舌剑,飞眼媚笑,这一套挑逗人的本事我全不会。我就坐在车里,膝上捧着他的地图,任由风吹乱我那一头平直难看的长发。我既从他的沉默中得到乐趣,又渴望听他说话。但是他说话与否对我情绪其实无关紧要;我唯一的敌人是仪表板上的时钟,它的针臂将无情地指向中午一点。时而向东,时而向西,我们在无数小村中穿行。这些村子就像附在岩石上的贝壳,遍缀地中海沿岸。今天我已记不起它们中间的任何一个。

我还能记起的仅仅是坐在汽车皮椅上的感觉,膝上地图纵横交错的图案,它的皱边和松散的装订线。我也记得,有一次我曾望着时钟思忖:“此时此刻,十一点二十分,一定要使它成为永久的记忆。”接着我就闭上眼睛,以使当时一刹那的经历更深地印进脑子。等我睁开眼,汽车正在公路上拐弯。一个披黑色围巾的农家姑娘向我们招手。现在我还记得她的模样:蒙着尘土的裙子,脸上带着开朗而友好的微笑。一秒钟之间,我们拐过弯去,再也看不见她了。农家姑娘已成过去,只留下一个记忆。

我当时多想返回去,重新捕捉那已逝去的一刻。但我马上又想到,即便真的回去,一切都已不是原样,甚至天空的太阳经过位置的移动也会不同于前一刻;那农家姑娘或许正拖着疲乏的脚步沿公路走去,经过我们面前,这一回不再招手,也许根本没看见我们。这种想法多少使人寒心,感到悲凉。再看看时钟,又过了五分钟。不一会儿,时间就要过尽,我们又得回旅馆去了。

“要是发明一种办法,能把记忆像香水一样装在瓶子里多好!”我脱口说道。“这样,记忆就永不褪色,常年新鲜。什么时候需要,只要随时打开瓶子,你就仿佛又回过头去重新体验那一刻。”我抬头望着他,看他会说些什么。他并不转过脸来,而是照样聚精会神看着前面的大路。

“在你短短的生活历程里,有哪些特别的时刻,你想重新体验?”他问。从他的话音里,我听不出是否含有嘲弄的意味。

“这个,我说不上来。”接着,我又不假思索地补充一句,犯了个愚不可及的大错:“我正想把此时此刻保存起来,永志不忘呢。”

“你是说今天这个日子难忘,还是算对我开车的一种恭维?”他笑着说,那神情活像一个挖苦人的兄长。我撅着嘴沉默着,突然痛苦地意识到横在两人中间的沟壑,他对我的仁慈恰恰扩大了这道鸿沟。

这时我才认识到自己无论如何不会向范-霍珀夫人提起这些日子上午的出游,因为她那种笑,同他方才的讪笑一样,会使我非常伤心。她听到这事不会大发雷霆,也不会傻了眼,倒是可能微微扬起眉毛,表示压根儿不信我的话。然后,她可能宽容地一耸肩说:“好孩子,他真是好心肠,带你坐车去玩。可是你敢说他不觉得无聊得要命吗?”接着,她会拍拍我的肩膀,打发我去买塔克索尔牌香烟。我不禁顾影自怜:一个年轻丫头毕竟低人一等。想着想着,我开始使劲咬手指甲。

“但愿我是个三十六岁上下的贵妇人,披一身黑缎子,戴一串珍珠项链,”因为对他方才的笑仍然耿耿于怀,我没好气地说。什么审时度势,全被我抛到九宵云外。

“如果你是这样一个人物,此刻你就不会和我一起在这辆车上!”他答道。“别咬指甲!你那指甲已经够难看了。”

“你也许会觉得我鲁莽无礼,可我还是要问,你为什么每天开车带我出来玩?很显然,你是可怜我,但干吗一定要选中我来接受你的恩赐呢?”

我挺直身子,坐在位子上,尽量表示出年轻姑娘那一丁点儿可怜的尊严。

他一本正经地回答:“我邀请你是因为你不穿黑缎子衣服,没戴珍珠项琏;另外,你也不是三十六岁。”因为对方不动声色,我不知道他是不是在心里窃笑。

“这真妙,”我说。“我情况你已经全知道了。我承认,我很年轻,生活里除了死去亲人,没有多少经历。而你呢?关于你的事,我今天知道的决不比我们第一次见面时更多。”

“那么,当时你都知道些什么呢?”他问。

“还不是说你住在曼陀丽。再有,嗯,再有就是,你失去了妻子。”啊,我总算把喉间骨鲠吐出来了。“你的妻子”这几个字好些天一直在我的舌尖上打转,这下子终于说出来了,而且说得那么自然,毫不费劲,仿佛提到她乃是世间最平常的事。你的妻子,一经说出口,这几个字在空中回荡,在我的眼前跳跃,而由于他默默听完我的话,始终不置一词,这几个字竟膨胀成了既丑恶又可怕的巨怪。这几个字本来绝不该说,自然更不该从我的嘴里说出。但这是既成事实,说出的话再也无法追回。诗集扉页上的题词和那个不同于众的斜体“R”这会儿又出现在我眼前,使我感到心里很不自在,浑身发毛。他决不会原谅我的,我们的友谊就此完了。

我还记得自己如何出神凝视着前面的挡风玻璃,对飞一般掠过的路景视而不见,那几个字犹在耳边回响。沉默之中,几分钟过去了,几分钟就意味着汽车又驶过好几英里的路程,我想,这一回什么都完了,再也不会一起坐车出游了。也许明天他就离开这里,而范-霍珀夫人则将病愈起床。一切还同从前一样,她带着我在平台上散步,而那边,旅馆仆役正把他的箱笼搬下楼来,经过行李专用电梯时,正好让我瞥见,箱笼上全是新贴上去的行李标签。接着便是忙乱的起程和无可换回的永别,初时还能听到他的汽车在拐弯时换档的声音,接着,连这一点儿声音也汇入车水马龙的喧闹之中,被融化了去,永远消失了。

我专心想象这一幕情景,甚至看到仆役收下他的小费,返身走进旅馆转门时对门房说了些什么。我只管胡思乱想,因此连车子正在逐渐减速也不曾觉得。直到车子在公路边停下,我才再次回到现实中来。他端坐不动,因为没戴帽子,脖子上又围了条白围巾,看上去特别像画框里的中世纪人物。在这明快的自然景色中,他显得格格不入。他应该出现在一座阴森可怕的大教堂的石阶上,大氅拖地;脚边,乞丐正拼命抢捡他撒下的金币。

在他身上已看不到仁慈而随和的挚友形象;嘲笑我咬指甲的那位兄长也不见了。他成了一个陌生人。我弄不明白自己为什么傍着他坐在汽车里。

他转过脸来对我说:“刚才你谈到一种发明,一种可以擒获记忆的办法。你还说,你希望在某一特定时刻回过头去体验往事。恐怕我的想法与你恰好相反。回忆全是辛酸的,我宁愿永远不去理会过去的一切。一年前发生的事整个儿改变了我的生活,我要把一生中到那时为止的一切统统忘记干净。那段生活已经告终,从我的记忆里抹去了。我的生活得从头开始。第一天见面时,你的那位范-霍珀夫人问我,为什么到蒙特卡洛来。那是因为我想借此把你希望能重新唤起的种种回忆统统隔断。当然,这样做不见得总能奏效,有时候,香水的气味太浓,瓶子关不住,熏得我受不了。再说,附在人身上的魔鬼就像探头探脑偷看别人隐私的家伙,老是想把瓶塞打开。我们俩第一次坐车出游时,爬上高山,俯瞰深谷,那就是因为魔鬼打开了瓶塞。几年前,我曾带我妻子到过那地方。你间我景色是否依旧,那地方有什么变化。一切都和以前一模一样,只是——我感恩不尽地发现——那座山丝毫不带任何个性特征,决不会使人想到上一回,她和我没有留下任何痕迹。这也许是因为那天你陪着我。你知道,你替我抹去往昔的影子,你的力量比灯红酒绿的蒙特卡洛要大得多。要不是你,我早就离开这儿,继续自己的行程,先到意大利,再去希腊,也许还得到更远的地方去。是你使我省去漫无目的东奔西走的麻烦。哼,让你刚才那种情教徒式一本正经的说教见鬼去吧!还有,你居然认为我是在做慈善好事!我邀请你是因为我需要你,需要你陪着我。如果你不相信,那么你此刻就可以下车,自己寻路回去。好吧,打开车门,下去!”

我呆呆地坐着,双手放在膝上,不知道他是不是真的要赶我下车。

“说吧,你准备怎么样?”他问。

要是早一两年遇上这种局面,我肯定会哭鼻子。小孩一发急,泪水总是一下子涌上眼眶。当时,我只感觉到泪水在眼睛里打滚,血直往脸上冲。在挡风玻璃上方的小镜子里,我突然看见自己那副尊容:两眼困惑慌乱,双颊绯红,长发散乱地披在宽边帽下。一副鬼样子!

“我想回家,”我差点哭出来。他默默地把车子发动起来,松开制动闸,掉过头往回驶去。

车在飞驰。我觉得它跑得太快,太不费力了、四下里寂寥的乡野无动于衷地注视着我们驶过。我们回到公路上的拐弯处,就是刚才我想把记忆封存起来的那个拐角。农家女已不知去向;周围的色彩也是一片惨淡。原来,它同任何一条公路上的任何一个拐角完全一样,每天有无数旅客驾车打这儿经过。它那迷人之处已随着我的好心情一起化为乌有。想到这里,我木然的脸突然因为激动而抽搐起来,成年人的自尊再也无法抵御低贱的泪水。泪水则因为最后得胜,欢快地涌上眼眶,又顺着双颊淌下。

我无法止住泪水,这是不由自主的事情。如果我到衣袋里会掏手绢,定会遭他发现。所以我只得听任泪水横流,让那咸味儿灼我的双唇,体验着极度的羞辱。我一直用泪眼盯着前面的路,因此不知道他是不是转过脸来看我。不过,突然间,他把手伸过来,抓住我的手,吻了一下,可仍然不说话。接着,他把自己的手帕扔在我怀里。我怕丢脸,不敢拿。
[/FONT]