斯坦福 IT

我是如何在移民第三年找到政府工作的

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
我写了这么多,只是让大家千万别放弃
英文不好,就去好好提高 (government and non-profit organizations provide many such kind of programs for immigrants, free for low-income people.
If you cannot find a job in your own career, start a one in IT area by learning in a college first in an easy way.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Respond: Nebula.Trek
Most management positions are governed by the people from Quebec (they cannot speak very good English) due to the Quebec Independence incident.

Canadian government and people really hate to be compared with USA. Therefore, they only hire very few top level talents from USA, like the previous host of CBC's National program.
Also, American can learn French much faster than Chinese due to the same western linguistic system, just like Chinese can learn Japanese faster than Western people

我们公司是一直做联邦项目的,联邦政府负责联络我们项目的负责人,美国来的,联邦公务员,连句法语都不会说。而且从来没有学法语的意思。
负责其他小组的联邦公务员,也多数不会说法语。

我们是魁北克公司。

很多时候,高级人才都要去美国去找,因为加拿大的这种人才都去了美国,不愿意回加拿大。反而土生土长的老美愿意来。

我们公司同样,最近也雇佣了不少美国人,在加拿大很难找到某些岗位的人才,这些人才都去美国了,留在加拿大的也随时准备南下。

最后编辑: 2018-05-03
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
我们公司是一直做联邦项目的,联邦政府负责联络我们项目的负责人,美国来的,联邦公务员,连句法语都不会说。而且从来没有学法语的意思。
负责其他小组的联邦公务员,也多数不会说法语。

我们是魁北克公司。

很多时候,高级人才都要去美国去找,因为加拿大的这种人才都去了美国,不愿意回加拿大。反而土生土长的老美愿意来。

我们公司同样,最近也雇佣了不少美国人,在加拿大很难找到某些岗位的人才,这些人才都去美国了,留在加拿大的也随时准备南下。

最后编辑: 2018-05-03
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
My original purpose is telling the truth of Chinese within the government. There are could be some variations. Therefore, I do not want to waste time arguing how French spoken people control the federal government in Canada.

In the Western point of view (<<Bible>>), any people doing anything (as long as it legal) is same and treated equally.
Choosing a labor work or a government job is absolutely one's own choice.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
My original purpose is telling the truth of Chinese within the government. There are could be some variations. Therefore, I do not want to waste time arguing how French spoken people control the federal government in Canada.

In the Western point of view (<<Bible>>), any people doing anything (as long as it legal) is same and treated equally.
Choosing a labor work or a government job is absolutely one's own choice.

你说的这些我不反对的,谁都知道法语主导了联邦政府team leader,但是至少还有30%是英语team leader.

中国人做不了team leader,不是因为语言的问题:
温哥华和卡尔加里来的华人有不少做了team leader,但是魁省华人反而很少做team leader。

没有反对你的话的意思。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
I am talking about the situation of Chinese in Federal Government in National Capital Region. I am not sure about the situation in 温哥华和卡尔加里.
And I was stating that most Chinese in Government of Canada in Ottawa cannot even been promoted to Team Leader without speaking French. My wife has been promoted to the highest level technical position but cannot be a team leader because she cannot speak good French.

Is your "但是魁省华人反而很少做team leader" a great proof ?

你这人很较真,那你说的都是对的,行了吧? 无聊。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
I am talking about the situation of Chinese in Federal Government in National Capital Region. I am not sure about the situation in 温哥华和卡尔加里.
And I was stating that most Chinese in Government of Canada in Ottawa cannot even been promoted to Team Leader without speaking French. My wife has been promoted to the highest level technical position but cannot be a team leader because she cannot speak good French.

Is your "但是魁省华人反而很少做team leader" a great proof ?

你这人很较真,那你说的都是对的,行了吧? 无聊。

对不起,关于魁省华人在联邦混的不如温哥华华人,这只是我的个人感觉,可能是因为我们公司涉及的领域太有限,所以得出的结论也是错误的,您就别生气了:)
先道歉。

您的发言非常好,对我很有帮助,我也在谋求公务员职位,非常感谢您的文章。我没有丝毫反对的意思。

个人认为魁省华人在联邦也不占优势,因为我就是从魁省转工作到渥太华的。魁省华人在联邦机构,完全无法和温哥华卡尔加里来的相比。我认识的温哥华卡尔加里来的华人高级公务员一大堆,魁省华人公务员我只认识几个。

之前我说的是渥太华有很多温哥华和卡尔加里来的华人高级公务员team leader,不是说温哥华卡尔加里。

在道歉一次。对不起。

但是这只是我的个人感觉,可能是因为我们公司涉及的领域太有限,所以得出的结论也是错误的,您就别生气了:)

最后编辑: 2018-05-04
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

The original purpose of my previous posts is targeted at those 1st generation of immigrants from China who cannot speak good French, but think government jobs are heaven.

I hope the Chinese people from Calgary and Vancouver you said can be in high positions. But I sincerely doubt whether they can be in very senior positions without good French. If they learn French at the very early stage of age, then they could most probably be CBC or immigrant at very early age. They should and could better by not going to government.

I would not let my kids (born in Canada, can speak great French) to be in government after they graduate. Because in US, only those people who cannot find good jobs will go to government.

I really cannot imagine that writing a few posts on this site WILL let me to have to follow the detailed explaination pattern writting the proposals to managers within the government.

I am just very disappointed the ability of the clients who read my posts.
Now I hope you understand why your words annoy me. I won't give you further explanation and response of reasons if you still cannot understand.

Thanks,

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

The original purpose of my previous posts is targeted at those 1st generation of immigrants from China who cannot speak good French, but think government jobs are heaven.

I hope the Chinese people from Calgary and Vancouver you said can be in high positions. But I sincerely doubt whether they can be in very senior positions without good French. If they learn French at the very early stage of age, then they could most probably be CBC or immigrant at very early age. They should and could better by not going to government.

I would not let my kids (born in Canada, can speak great French) to be in government after they graduate. Because in US, only those people who cannot find good jobs will go to government.

I really cannot imagine that writing a few posts on this site WILL let me to have to follow the detailed explaination pattern writting the proposals to managers within the government.

I am just very disappointed the ability of the clients who read my posts.
Now I hope you understand why your words annoy me. I won't give you further explanation and response of reasons if you still cannot understand.

Thanks,
谢谢。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Canada is a great country, and very tolerant and friendly for immigrants.
Although there are more opportunities in China due to the poor economy in Canada now, Canada is still a great country to live and work.
When I and my wife landed in Ottawa in 1999 with only $5000, we were very self-confident that we will be having a great life here.

We began to live in one bedroom apartment rented, it cost us($670 renting + $100 food)/monthly. Even the furniture and electric appliances are collected from garbage.
A desktop PC is the only new one we bought. Everytime, when we pay bills and buy something, we count how much we have left in the account.

I first found a general labour job at Walmart near the apartment. Because I need to raise very heavy boxes, I still have the root of 肩肘炎。 But it lets me to have a change to communicate with many low income native people in normal English they use.
I didn't want to find work in China Towns(I will tell you the reason in another post).

I am pretty confident that I can find a software engineer job but I could not start soon because of the shortage of local experience.
After 9 months, I found a programmer job at a small company.
I then found out that the way the software developed here is very different from China then. The OO patterns, framework, version control were heavily used more like a great team in engineering.
There is no other way. I could not work after 5:30pm since it was overtime, prohibited. I had to learn these skills at home after work and during the weekend.
I finally passed the probation and got a junior job. My company was bought by Nortel then in year of 2000, and I was promoted to an intermediate software engineer.

My wife began to learn Software QA in Algonquin College. After 10 months, she was referred by her best friend a internship job at Nortel. She was hired afterwards, and after 6 months probation, became a full time Software QA at Nortel.
Now, we both worked at Nortel, and we expected to be in intermediate level as a lifetime work. We bought a townhouse with very low down payment and mortgage due to our professional jobs. We moved in with brand new furniture and appliances. We feel that We have earned the payment of our struggle.
Unfortunately, only for about a year, IT Storm began. Nortel this giant began to shake. My division was killed in the first wave of lay off since it was bought by Nortel. We were shocked to see how those previously glorious high tech companies laid off people.

I sent hundreds of application letters, but could not hear anything. And many people decided to move to big cities like Toronto, or south of border,USA or even went back to China.
After a careful research, I found out that actually the largest IT employer in Ottawa was Government of Canada. And my background fitted their large enterprise application transition from old IBM mainframe to n-tiered Java EE very well.
After 3 months of lay off, an agent found a contract work at CRA for me. From then on, I began my professional consulting work and began to create a consulting firm owned by myself.
My wife was very lucky. She was in the last pool of people laid off by Nortel in 2011. And she was led by her previous manager at Nortel to Government of Canada as a term employee, and became a permanent one after 5 one year terms.

Now we have owned 3 houses in Ottawa(
2 bedroom 1500 square feet townhouse,
4 bedroom square 2100 feet single house,
5 bedroom 3000 square feet single house)
two cars, A SUV, A Honda Accord (renew every 5 to 7 years to avoid maintenance)
through our hard work and knowledge from the scratch.

The first 2 houses are rented out and managed by a professional company to cover the mortgage.
We can pay off the 3rd house's mortgage in 10 more years.

We can retire now at the age of 50 if we want. But we still work just want to show my successor, you have to work hard to gain wealth.
We seldom work after regular business hours and during the weekend, have a very good work/life balance.
We have 4 weeks vacation every year. We planned to do the global traveling after 10 years when our boy graduate from the university. We do our tooth cleaning every 3 months.

We can do regular exercise through the running machine and table tennis in the basement, swimming and skating in the sport centre nearby and skiing during the winter.

I am not interested in going back to Beijing or China.

When I and my wife leave this world, we will leave the kid $1.8M(by current value, sorry poor real estate price in Ottawa) real estate and $1.0M life insurance.
But we have already let my boy to deliver the newspapers at the age of 10 five evenings a week for 2 years.
He will start working at the legal age during the weekend to understand how hard to gain money.
We are proud of him.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
争取最好,准备最坏。
永远不要放弃:追求,理想,健康。
最可耻的是放弃自己的生命,因为圣经看待自杀跟谋杀一样——顾名思义——自我谋杀。神是决定人生死的,把这个权力放在你自己手里,根据圣经这是对神的亵渎。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
加拿大政府的工作违背了神在圣经定义的一个基本规则之一:多劳多得。政府的工作大裁的日子不会太遥远的。
中国改革开放以来四十年这么突飞猛进的发展就是老邓引入和强化这一点。