斯坦福 IT

美国之音--习惯用语(给想看而看不到的人)

生命的狂想

烽火移民路
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: 美国之音--习惯用语(给想看而看不到的人)

李华跟Larry一起去吃晚饭。今天我们要学两个常用语: squared away和temporary fix.

LH: Larry, 怎么样,今天上班忙不忙?

LL: Oh it was a bit stressful. I had a relatively large report due that I was too busy to start until the last minute, but it looks like I got it all squared away.

LH: Squared away? 你是说虽然等到最后一分钟,但还是赶出来了?

LL: Yes, Li Hua, squared away means I took care of it, or finished the job.

LH: 太好了,那你现在可以好好放松一下了?

LL: Yeah. Now I just feel relieved to have gotten the report squared away.

LH: 那份报告是关于什么的?

LL: It was just about the logistics of a new advertising campaign that ships out next week. It wasn't too hard, just tedious, but now it is all squared away.

LH: 我明白你的感受,处理掉手头的一件大事,肯定是如释重负。

LL: Exactly. It's hard to relax with a report hanging over your head.

LH: 没错。我经济选修课的期中论文上星期交,老师规定要写二十页,而且还要进行很多复杂的数据分析。

LL: How did it turn out?

LH: 我在学校电脑房里整整泡了两天,I finally got it all squared away. 总算是搞定了,竟然还提前了一天。

LL: That's excellent.

生命的狂想

烽火移民路
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

LH: 可我一点也不敢放松,这篇论文写完了,可还有另外三篇等着我呢!

LL: Well, at least you got one squared away.

LH: 那倒也是。你完成了这份报告,是不是可以喘口气了?

LL: Well now that I've got that report all squared away, I'm pretty much in the clear. I guess I will wait until they give me a new assignment.

LH: 真羡慕你,可惜我还有三篇论文要写,不然我们周末可以去秋游。

LL: I wouldn't worry too much Li Hua, I'm sure you'll get all of your papers squared away in no time.

LH: I know, I just wish that they were already squared away and I didn't have to deal with them. 好,酒足饭饱,我又得去泡图书馆了。

李华 Larry第二天下午一起去喝咖啡。

LL: How'd the paper writing go?

LH: 别提了,论文倒是写完了一篇,可是电脑房里的打印机坏了,我又没带USB, 所以只好把文章寄到我自己的电子信箱里。

LL: That's a good temporary fix.

LH: A temporary what?

LL: Temporary Fix it means a good short term solution for a problem. In this case, emailing the paper to yourself is a good fix until you can print the paper.

LH: 噢,temporary fix就是临时解决办法。我一看打印机坏了,差点儿没得心脏病,还好灵机一动,把论文寄给了自己。

LL: It's good that you found that temporary fix then!

LH: 可不是吗,要不然,我还真是不知道要怎么办了

生命的狂想

烽火移民路
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

LL: The other day at work we had to come up with a temporary fix because our usual print-shop was closed for vacation, and the one we hired instead completely botched the job.

LH: 怎么回事?不会是把你们的广告印刷品都印坏了吧?

LL: Well the whole thing came out backwards and none of the words went with the pictures, plus we had a client coming in only an hour afterwards.

LH: 那你们最后是怎么办的?

LL: Ultimately we just cut the words out of each picture and switched them with scissors and glue. It held together through the meeting. It didn't look perfect but at least it was a temporary fix.

LH: 客户有没有看出什么破绽?

LL: I think we made an alright impression on the client. I'm not sure that they noticed that anything was wrong.

LH: That's great.

LL: Yeah, what about you, how did your paper turn out?

LH: 最后我还是在导师的办公室里把论文印出来的。

LL: So your temporary fix was successful.

LH: 没错,我现在只剩一篇论文就万事大吉了!

LL: Well, you're almost there.

今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是squared away 意思是处理完了。另一个是temporary fix意思是临时的解决办法。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

今天的两个习惯用语都来自华盛顿的一份报纸上的同一篇文章,谈论的是2000年夏天民主党以及共和党各自召开的全国代表大会。这种大会的目的是为同年十一月份的大选确定本党总统侯选人的提名。

我们要学的第一个习惯用语是: suck up。 Suck这个词原来的意思是吸收,但是动词短语suck up却有另外的意思。我们听个例子,想一想suck up表示什么样的行为。

例句-1:Mary sucks up to her boss by telling him often how much she admires his talents and how lucky she is working for him.

这句话的意思是: Mary真是马屁精,她常常对上级说自己如何佩服他的才干,还说自己在他手下工作有多幸运。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

习惯用语suck up也常用来描述政治活动。例如刚才说到的报导两党的全国代表大会的文章提到在会场内外各有千秋,场内是群情激昂,团结一致的誓师大会,而场外却在举行多彩多姿的款待嘉宾的活动,专门为了取悦那些巨额捐款人。我们听听文章怎么报导这种向赞助人献殷勤的活动。

例句-2:The two parties will suck up to their big contributors with special affairs outside of official convention meetings. Delegates and guests who have already made large contributions will be invited to golf tournaments, lunch with famous sports heroes and dinner with movie stars at a Hollywood studio.

他说:两党将通过会场外的特殊活动使劲巴结讨好他们的巨额捐款人,与会代表和嘉宾都将被请去看高尔夫球比赛,和运动名将共进午餐,还要在好莱坞电影制片厂跟电影明星一起共享晚宴。

这里的suck up是巴结讨好的意思。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

不用说,这些动用了运动名将和电影明星的特殊活动都得花费大笔大笔的资金。这一来侯选人岂不更缺钱了吗? 那么经办这些劳民伤财的活动有什么意义呢? 其实很简单,他们的目光还是集中在那些大款的腰包上。

虽然这些大款已经慷慨解囊支持了他们的竞选,但是他们还想争取大款更多的捐款,于是就使出这种种软功促使大款不得不掏钱。这就产生了今天要学的第二个习惯用语: shake down。 Shake down原本有勒索钱财的意思,但是刚才说过政党是使用讨好大款的软功来换取他们的钱财的,所以shake down这个习惯用语也有把人奉承得团团转,使他不得不掏腰包的意思。 Shake down可以联想到中文里的摇钱树,一摇晃钱就往下掉。

好,我们来听一位竞选经费募款人在简要汇报他的工作计划,注意他话里用到的习惯用语shake down。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

例句-3:We'll have a lunch with the candidate for supporters who have given at least $5,000 so far, and shake them down for a check of $2,500 right on the spot. Most of them will do it too. Because we have one advantage: we already know that they support our party and that they have money.

他说:我们和侯选人将跟迄今为止已捐款五千美元或以上的赞助人共进午餐,并且就在午餐会当场施展招数敲他们一笔,让他们再各自拿出两千五百美元的支票来。他们多半会这样做。因为我们的有利因素是既知道他们支持我们的党,又知道他们手头有钱。

这段话里的shake them down意思是“敲他们一笔。” 现在我们再回到华盛顿邮报那篇说全党代表大会的文章上来,里面有一句话把今天学到的两个习惯用语都用上了:

例句-4:This summer's political conventions will be a super bowl of sucking up and shaking down.

这句话里的super bowl原来是指美国一年一度最盛大的运动项目: 全国美式足球联合会锦标赛,这里用来比喻全党代表大会全力以赴,向赞助人大献殷勤,努力争取他们捐款的激烈场面。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

公关部主任Janet Liu召集下属开会,询问中东代表团的活动安排。

Janet Liu: Good morning, Silvia. Good morning, Pete. How is my public relations team doing today?

Silvia Kranson: Morning, Ms. Liu.

Pete Chan: Very well, thank you.

J: I called this meeting to check up on preparations for the upcoming visit by the delegation from the Middle East. Any progress?

S: Actually the delegation has been scaled back to just two groups, one from Saudi Arabia and another from Israel.

J: OK...I assume accommodations have been taken care of?

P: Yes, the group from Saudi Arabia will stay at the Golden Palace while the team from Israel is booked at the Twin Oaks Resort.

Silvia告诉Janet说,中东代表团规模减小了,只剩下两组人,分别来自沙特阿拉伯和以色列。Silvia说的Scale back。 Scale back是缩小规模。

Pete报告说,旅馆也定好了。Their accommodations have been taken care of. Accommodations。

让我们继续听一下代表团的日程安排。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

J: Can you give me a quick rundown of the schedule for when they're here?

S: The first day is free as they adjust to the time difference. We're planning a trip to our factory on day two, a cultural tour on day three and days four through six are at the seminar and workshop.

P: On the last day we've planned some great meals and we'll top off the evening with some fun at a karaoke bar.

简单说一下日程安排:A quick rundown of the schedule。第一天倒时差,adjust to the time difference. 第二天参观工厂,第三天文艺活动,第四天到第六天办学习班。最后一天吃饭卡拉OK。让我们听听Janet为什么不满意。

S: Yeah, we're taking them to Sam's Super Pork Restaurant for lunch and dinner is at Wang's Seafood Paradise.

J: Um...that could be a problem. Have you considered that they might have special dietary needs? Most people in Saudi Arabia are Muslims, and Muslims don't eat pork. In fact, they might only eat Halal food.

Janet提醒说,沙特主要是穆斯林,不吃猪肉。

P: Halal?

J: Yes, Halal means food, especially meat, that's been prepared according to Islamic religious laws. The Israeli group could also be a problem as many of them might be Jewish and keep Kosher.

S: Kosher?

J: It's similar to the Muslim rules, but Kosher is a Jewish system of dietary laws. People who keep Kosher don't eat pork, shrimp or crab.

S: So I guess we will have to reconsider the meals.

Halal是按照伊斯兰教规准备的肉。Janet还说,以色列是犹太人,要吃Kosher,不吃猪肉、虾和蟹。Silvia和Pete还犯了一些什么错误,我们下次继续听。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Larry下班后,跟李华一起去喝咖啡。今天我们要学两个常用语:brutal和rager.

LL: Oh it was way brutal.

LH: Brutal? Brutal 不是粗暴、残忍的意思吗?

LL: Here it means harsh. You know, like a hassle. It was way brutal.

LH: 噢,你说今天上班was way brutal 就是特别麻烦,不顺的意思。你说具体点儿,In what way was it brutal?

LL: Well for one thing, the coffee machine in my office was broken, so that was lame.

LH: 咖啡壶坏了顶多也就是不方便,也谈不上brutal啊。

LL: Well on top of that they were doing some sort of maintenance in the hall, so all day there was this high pitched drilling noise. I have a pounding headache.

LH: 一整天都有人在楼道里修房子,那可是够吵的。It IS brutal!

LL: Yeah it was totally brutal.

LH: 我这两天正在申请一家大公司的实习机会。Let me tell you, it's so brutal.

LL: How is it brutal, Li Hua?

LH: 这家公司要我证明身份,结果害得我跑了四趟大使馆,腿都跑细了。

LL: Woah, brutal. Are you at least done with the application process now?

LH: I wish! 我现在还要到学校的工作许可办公室去开证明,最后还不知道到底是不是能拿到这个实习的位置。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

LL: Is it paid?

LH: 没有,是没有报酬的那种实习。

LL: Brutal. I did an unpaid internship once. It was alright though.

LH: 申请实习的手续麻烦点儿也就算了,我现在唯一的希望是,真开始实习了,工作上不要更加brutal。

李华第二天中午兴高彩烈地打电话给Larry。

LL: Hello? This is Larry London speaking.

LH: Larry?

LL: Hi Li Hua, how's it going?

LH: 告诉你一个好消息,我拿到那个实习的机会了。

LL: That's great Li Hua!

LH: 公司人事部门打电话通知我,我简直高兴死了。

LL: We have to celebrate, we should throw a rager.

LH: Rager,那是什么?听起来好象挺可怕的。

LL: No, a rager means a huge party. A raging party.

LH: 哦,我知道了,a rager就是一个特别疯狂的派对。好啊,我同意,咱们把朋友都叫来,开个rager.

LL: My friend Jack the DJ has been looking to find some more work. I'm sure he'd be willing to set up his turntables at our rager.

LH: 你是说你那个做职业DJ的朋友Jack吗?太棒了,要真能把他找来,It is bound to be a killer rager.

LL: I think it should be pretty good. We can have it at my place.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

LH: 在你那儿开?你可想好了,那些人一定会把你家搞得一团糟。

LL: Eh, it's fine. I don't have anything nice that can be damaged anyhow.

LH: 你在家大吵大闹地开派对,邻居会不会有意见?

LL: Probably not, there are a lot of young people around here anyhow. I feel like somebody is always throwing a rager on this street.

LH: 太好了,那你说,咱们都请谁?

LL: Well you should tell friends in your classes, and I'll send out a Facebook invitation. Oh, When will we hold our rager?

LH: 这个星期五晚上怎么样?

LL: Mmm, this Friday isn't good. I told my friend Kevin I'd help him fix the bike. How about Saturday?

LH: 星期六好。星期六大家精神头更足。

LL: Exactly, you want people to be high energy if you are going to throw a rager. Do you think a lot of people will come?

LH: 那还用说,I think it will be a huge rager. 你说咱们的派对应该几点开始?

LL: We can say nine o'clock and no one will likely show up until 10:30 at the earliest.

LH: 十点半?那么晚啊?

LL: That tends to be how it goes.

LH: 好,就听你的,拿到这个实习的机会,我真是高兴死了。

LL: Congratulations! You earned it.

今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是brutal意思是很糟糕,很麻烦。另一个是rager指特别疯狂、特别热闹的派对。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

在大选年里新闻界时常爱用一些习惯用语来报道选举形势的发展。今天再谈两个常会用到的习惯用语。例如,在最近一份华盛顿的报纸上有这样一个大标题: Candidates Duke it out over Fuel。

这里的fuel指汽车燃料: 汽油,而candidates是指总统侯选人。这个标题包括这样一个习惯用语: duke it out。 Duke这个词通常作名词用,意思是公爵或者大公。它在俚语中的意思是拳头。 Duke it out这个习惯用语里duke显然当动词用了,表示搏斗、打架,是说拳打脚踢、大打出手的肉搏。

那么duke it out用在这个标题中究竟是什么意思呢?我们从标题下的文章报道了什么可以得到启发。这篇文章说的是2000年大选的两名主要总统侯选人 - 克林顿政府的付总统戈尔和得克萨斯州州长布什,在有关汽油的问题上发生争论;彼此都责怪对方该为近期内汽油价格飞涨负责。

汽油价格直线上升在2000年夏天成了引发激烈争辩的政治问题,因为油价暴涨影响到千家万户的生活。这样一说,你也许对duke it out这个习惯用语的含义有点眉目了,是不是激烈争辩呢?

我们再听听描述戈尔和小布什的争论的一段话,以便确切理解这个习惯用语。

例句-1:The two really duked it out. Mr. Gore charged Mr. Bush with being too close to the oil companies, and Mr. Bush hit back by claiming that Mr. Gore wanted to give ’big oil’ a huge tax break.

戈尔指责小布什跟石油公司的关系过于密切,而小布什也反击戈尔,声称戈尔想要给与大石油公司巨额免税优惠。

可见他俩在各不相让地争辩究竟是谁跟石油公司有特殊关系,是谁在纵容石油公司抬高油价。所以duke it out这个习惯用语在这儿的意思是进行唇枪舌剑的争辩。

习惯用语duke it out虽然原先在俚语中的意思是拳打脚踢地搏斗,但是久而久之它不再指拳脚相对地打架了,而是说言词激烈的相互攻击和争辩。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

只要汽油价格不下跌,戈尔和小布什有关汽油问题的相互攻击就会没完没了地继续下去。我们再来学个表示同样意思的习惯用语: come out swinging。 Swing这个词在这里是挥动的意思。Come out swinging和duke it out一样起初也用来指挥臂抡拳地搏斗。 Come out swinging最初起源于拳击比赛,有一种拳击选手很厉害,一出场就挥动双拳如同猛虎般地直扑对方,发动猛烈的进攻。人们把这种猛攻对方的拳击方式称为come out swinging.

然而习惯用语come out swinging逐渐地也像duke it out一样,不再指挥动双拳相斗,而用来说口头攻击了。

在大选年里,当春天各州挑选民主党和共和党侯选人的初选结束以后,往往两党有一个政治斗争的相对平静阶段。这时候,两党的侯选人都乘机缓一口气,与此同时还要为自己筹集更多的竞选基金。然而这个相对平静阶段长得了吗?我们听听唐本森先生怎么说,注意他话里用了charge这个词的名词形式。名词charge意思是攻击,而反击的英文是: counter-charge。

例句-2:After the party conventions things heat up again. In September and October the candidates come out swinging with charges and counter-charges just about every day of the week.

唐本森告诉我们: 在政党全国代表大会之后,形势又逐步加温,到了九十月间侯选人都毫不间断地大举声讨并回击对方。

唐本森说的come out swinging显然是指进行猛烈的口头攻击。实际上九十月间不仅是注目白宫的侯选人在不遗余力地进行政治斗争。我们听听还有哪些人也发动猛烈的攻势:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

例句-3:The last two months before General Election Day the air waves will be heavy with politics. Politicians come out swinging contending for the seats in the House of Representatives and one-third of those in the Senate of the US Congress, plus positions in many state houses and state legislatures and mayors’ offices all over the country.

他说,在大选日前的最后两个月政治空气浓厚。政界人士发动强烈攻势角逐国会众议院席位和三分之一的参议院席位,再加上全国各地许多州的众议院和参议院以及市长的位置也都是他们竞相争取的目标。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

礼节美语084讲

公关部主任Janet Liu召集下属开会,询问中东代表团的活动安排。上次说到,不同宗教有不同的饮食习惯:穆斯林吃Halal, 犹太人吃 Kosher。让我们听听Janet还有什么建议。

Janet Liu: And you might also want to reconsider the trip to the Karaoke bar. Muslims are forbidden to drink alcohol, although Jewish people can.

P: Wow, thanks for the info. We almost committed quite the social faux pas!

Janet提醒Silvia和Pete,穆斯林不喝酒,所以去酒吧唱卡拉OK恐怕有问题。Pete说自己差点儿犯了social faux pas社交错误。

J: I did the same thing early in my career when I took a group of Indian businesspeople to a Chinese restaurant. It turned out half of them were vegetarian Hindus.

S: I’ll fire off an email to both groups today to inquire about their dietary preferences.

P: And I’ll try to find a nice piano lounge where they can either drink alcohol or other beverages.

Janet承认,自己刚出道的时候也犯过错误,把印度人带到中国餐馆去吃饭,结果发现其中一半人是印度教徒,吃素。Silvia说,她会发电子邮件,fire off an email 给客人,询问他们有什么特殊的饮食要求。Pete说,会重新找个既能喝酒,也有其他饮料的地方。

J: For future reference, you should always consider the culture of your visitors and try to adapt as much as possible to them. These people are our honored guests and it would have been terrible to offend them.

S: Absolutely, boss.

P: Yes, good points.

S: But what if we can’t find a restaurant with Halal or Kosher food?

J: Check with them first, but one way to make sure everything is OK is to go to a vegetarian restaurant. Can’t go too wrong with vegetables.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Janet建议说,实在不行,就找一家素食馆,肯定不会错。

P: I was just thinking: maybe I should check if the hotels allow smoking in the rooms or not. I’ll send an email to ask if any of the group are smokers.

J: Good thinking. OK, I got to run. Keep me posted on the restaurant issue.

S: We were thinking of a pen set made of jade with a gold trim. The set is embossed with the name of the seminar and each participant’s name.

P: Absolutely.

S: Wow, Pete. We really dodged a bullet there!

P: Well, as the old saying goes, "You live and you learn."

Pete忽然想到,客人里可能有人抽烟,所以要问问旅店是否允许吸烟。Janet临走时说I got to run. 我得赶紧走了。她还说,Keep me posted.有消息随时告诉我。

Janet走后,Silvia说,We really dodged a bullet. 躲过了一个枪子儿,意思是真悬,差点出错!Pete的回答是 "You live and you learn." 活到老学到老。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Larry下班后,跟李华一起去喝咖啡。今天我们要学两个常用语:brutal和rager.

LL: Oh it was way brutal.

LH: Brutal? Brutal 不是粗暴、残忍的意思吗?

LL: Here it means harsh. You know, like a hassle. It was way brutal.

LH: 噢,你说今天上班was way brutal 就是特别麻烦,不顺的意思。你说具体点儿,In what way was it brutal?

LL: Well for one thing, the coffee machine in my office was broken, so that was lame.

LH: 咖啡壶坏了顶多也就是不方便,也谈不上brutal啊。

LL: Well on top of that they were doing some sort of maintenance in the hall, so all day there was this high pitched drilling noise. I have a pounding headache.

LH: 一整天都有人在楼道里修房子,那可是够吵的。It IS brutal!

LL: Yeah it was totally brutal.

LH: 我这两天正在申请一家大公司的实习机会。Let me tell you, it’s so brutal.

LL: How is it brutal, Li Hua?

LH: 这家公司要我证明身份,结果害得我跑了四趟大使馆,腿都跑细了。

LL: Woah, brutal. Are you at least done with the application process now?

LH: I wish! 我现在还要到学校的工作许可办公室去开证明,最后还不知道到底是不是能拿到这个实习的位置。

LL: Is it paid?

LH: 没有,是没有报酬的那种实习。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

LL: Brutal. I did an unpaid internship once. It was alright though.

LH: 申请实习的手续麻烦点儿也就算了,我现在唯一的希望是,真开始实习了,工作上不要更加brutal。

李华第二天中午兴高彩烈地打电话给Larry。

LL: Hello? This is Larry London speaking.

LH: Larry?

LL: Hi Li Hua, how’s it going?

LH: 告诉你一个好消息,我拿到那个实习的机会了。

LL: That’s great Li Hua!

LH: 公司人事部门打电话通知我,我简直高兴死了。

LL: We have to celebrate, we should throw a rager.

LH: Rager,那是什么?听起来好象挺可怕的。

LL: No, a rager means a huge party. A raging party.

LH: 哦,我知道了,a rager就是一个特别疯狂的派对。好啊,我同意,咱们把朋友都叫来,开个rager.

LL: My friend Jack the DJ has been looking to find some more work. I’m sure he’d be willing to set up his turntables at our rager.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

LH: 你是说你那个做职业DJ的朋友Jack吗?太棒了,要真能把他找来,It is bound to be a killer rager.

LL: I think it should be pretty good. We can have it at my place.

LH: 在你那儿开?你可想好了,那些人一定会把你家搞得一团糟。

LL: Eh, it’s fine. I don’t have anything nice that can be damaged anyhow.

LH: 你在家大吵大闹地开派对,邻居会不会有意见?

LL: Probably not, there are a lot of young people around here anyhow. I feel like somebody is always throwing a rager on this street.

LH: 太好了,那你说,咱们都请谁?

LL: Well you should tell friends in your classes, and I’ll send out a Facebook invitation. Oh, When will we hold our rager?

LH: 这个星期五晚上怎么样?

LL: Mmm, this Friday isn’t good. I told my friend Kevin I’d help him fix the bike. How about Saturday?

LH: 星期六好。星期六大家精神头更足。

LL: Exactly, you want people to be high energy if you are going to throw a rager. Do you think a lot of people will come?

LH: 那还用说,I think it will be a huge rager. 你说咱们的派对应该几点开始?

LL: We can say nine o’clock and no one will likely show up until 10:30 at the earliest.

LH: 十点半?那么晚啊?

LL: That tends to be how it goes.

LH: 好,就听你的,拿到这个实习的机会,我真是高兴死了。

LL: Congratulations! You earned it.

今天李华学了两个常用语。一个是brutal意思是很糟糕,很麻烦。另一个是rager指特别疯狂、特别热闹的派对。