该死的英文, 总是让我有挫败感

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
在华盛顿二战纪念碑的地面上曾看到下面三句话,分别用了“on, at ,in”
Victory on land, victory at sea, victory in the air.
很有诗意 念出来好听

纪念华盛顿的时候 有人写 first in war first in peace first in the hearts of his countrymen
也不错

最后编辑: 2018-11-15
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
我一般是见过听过两三次之后 还没猜出来什么意思 去查字典
下次见面 就感到特亲切了
再分享一个个淫学习的小故事。它和查字典,猜意思,翻译,理解都有关。

上世纪八十年代的时候,北京刮过一阵看参考片的风潮。所谓参考片,奏是些莫有正式进口的歪果影片。于是,俺看到鸟《现代启示录!》。其英文名是Apocalypse Now! 当然,当时俺莫听到有淫说这拗口的英文名的,大家都是说那中文名字,说起来朗朗上口,如雷贯耳,铿锵有力。以俺当年的知识储备,自然是看不懂那片子的,蛋还是被震撼到鸟,那直升机,那凝固汽油弹,那野蛮丛林,永生难忘。

蛋是,俺起码是建立起鸟Apocalypse和启示录的关系。蛋俺并不理解一个描述恐怖的片子究竟能启示神马。一定是翻译搞错了吧?俺去查了字典也莫用,Apocalypse 奏是启示的意思嘛。(现在用google去查这个英文单词,中文给出的词义还是“启示”。)

直到俺通过了解圣经,俺才明白Apocalypse 更有世界末日大毁灭的意思。这才解答鸟俺几十年的疑问,那电影为啥叫《现代启示录!》,也许叫《现在就是世界末日!》更通俗易懂合情合理些。一个词要学几十年才能摸出点儿门道?这也太难鸟。:wdb7:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
再分享一个个淫学习的小故事。它和查字典,猜意思,翻译,理解都有关。

上世纪八十年代的时候,北京刮过一阵看参考片的风潮。所谓参考片,奏是些莫有正式进口的歪果影片。于是,俺看到鸟《现代启示录!》。其英文名是Apocalypse Now! 当然,当时俺莫听到有淫说这拗口的英文名的,大家都是说那中文名字,说起来朗朗上口,如雷贯耳,铿锵有力。以俺当年的知识储备,自然是看不懂那片子的,蛋还是被震撼到鸟,那直升机,那凝固汽油弹,那野蛮丛林,永生难忘。

蛋是,俺起码是建立起鸟Apocalypse和启示录的关系。蛋俺并不理解一个描述恐怖的片子究竟能启示神马。一定是翻译搞错了吧?俺去查了字典也莫用,Apocalypse 奏是启示的意思嘛。(现在用google去查这个英文单词,中文给出的词义还是“启示”。)

直到俺通过了解圣经,俺才明白Apocalypse 更有世界末日大毁灭的意思。这才解答鸟俺几十年的疑问,那电影为啥叫《现代启示录!》,也许叫《现在就是世界末日!》更通俗易懂合情合理些。一个词要学几十年才能摸出点儿门道?这也太难鸟。:wdb7:
所以 不认识的字 不能用英汉字典
得查英英字典

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
You wouldn't normally say on a bus; on the bus is a fixed expression.

The reason why the is used in that phrase is probably because the bus here is something we all know about, something that by extension refers to the institution that represents the (public) transport bus service that uses buses to drive people around the city. The phrase doesn't refer to any bus in particular per se.

In his book, Practical English Usage (69.5), M. Swan says the following:

We use the (with a singular countable noun) when we talk about some kinds of thing that are part of everybody's lives, like ‘the bus’ or ‘the hairdresser’. In this case the bus, for example, does not mean ‘one bus that you know about’; we use the to suggest that taking a bus is a common experience that we all share.
To address the comment and some additional questions one might have after reading the above:

I merely wanted to answer the question of whether on the bus is grammatical in that context, and how that's accomplished – not suggest that on a bus isn't. It would be more usual, given the context the asker provided, for their friend to say I'm on the bus and not I'm on a bus.

I'm on the bus might mean "I'm on the bus I tell you I'm on every day – my school bus", i.e., "...the bus you expect me to be on at this time". It could also mean "I'm on the bus we previously discussed". Et cetera.

Can you say on a bus? Yes, you can say, for example,

I can't talk to you right now, I'm on a bus.
As you said, this introduces a bus; you're talking about it for the first time and identifying the vehicle as a bus.

Last week he was on a bus when an argument erupted between... (independent.co.uk).
He was on a bus – it doesn't matter what bus. The same applies in the example that follows:

"It doesn't. Why would it? I'm nobody." She lowered her chin as her face twisted up. "Just a girl you met on a bus." (Don't Move by Dennis Etchison)
https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/136321/on-a-bus-or-on-the-bus
I can't talk to you right now, I'm on a bus.
As you said, this introduces a bus; you're talking about it for the first time and identifying the vehicle as a bus.

这正是俺想象的场景,所以要用on a bus。“我在车上呢,现在说话不方便,我到家再给你打。” I'm on a bus right now. I'll call you back when I get home.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
几天讨论下来 我突然的发现 我非常鄙视鲁迅的小说 孔乙己
我们这些当代孔乙己的乐趣 恐怕鲁迅未必能体会到
坏贴,撒老师打击偶们的学习积极性。:p偶们在讨论如何说“在车上”这些实用英语,岂能和“回有几种写法”相比?:ROFLMAO:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
今天算是今年第一场雪,平时半小时的路花了将近三小时。路上想着根根说的“广大群众”,回想起以前读书时听过的一句话,有人说是沃尔玛创始人Sam Walton说的,也有人说是福特汽车公司创始人Henry Ford说的,不管是谁说的我都没法翻译的信达雅稳准狠,水平有限。

Sell to the masses, eat with the classes.

最后编辑: 2018-11-15
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
雪花边下边化。
今天算是今年第一场雪,平时半小时的路花了将近三小时。路上想着根根说的“广大群众”,会想起以前读书时听过的一句话,有人说是沃尔玛创始人Sam Walton说的,也有人说是福特汽车公司创始人Henry Ford说的,不管是谁说的我都没法翻译的信达雅稳准狠,水平有限。

辛苦了!

曾经有人到我家吃饭, 客气地说: 辛苦了! 随后又问我"辛苦了"怎么翻译? 到现在我也找不到适合的翻译。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
今天算是今年第一场雪,平时半小时的路花了将近三小时。路上想着根根说的“广大群众”,回想起以前读书时听过的一句话,有人说是沃尔玛创始人Sam Walton说的,也有人说是福特汽车公司创始人Henry Ford说的,不管是谁说的我都没法翻译的信达雅稳准狠,水平有限。

您这是在哪个省。今晚路这么不好走。