斯坦福 IT

让基础职场词汇成为你的“嫡系”(欢迎全程参与互动)

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
46. alphabet soup
a. initialisms and acronyms, especially when used excessively.
Just look at the telephone book! You can't find anything, because it's filled with alphabet soup.

47. ambulance chaser
a. a lawyer who hurries to the scene of an accident to try to get business from injured persons.
The insurance companies are cracking down on ambulance chasers.

48. American as apple pie
a. quintessentially American.
A small house with a white picket fence is supposed to be as American as apple pie.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
49. the American dream
a. financial stability as well as physical and emotional comfort.(From the notion that Americans are preoccupied with obtaining certain materialistic goals.)
The American dream of home ownership with a car in the garage and a chicken in every pot started in the early 1930s.

50. ancient history
a. someone or something from so long ago as to be completely forgotten or no longer important, as a former relationship.
Bob? I never think about Bob anymore. He's ancient history.

51. and change
a. plus a few cents; plus a few hundredths. (Used in citing a price or other decimal figure to indicate an additional fraction of a full unit.)
The New York Stock Exchange was up seven points and change for the third broken record this week.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
52. and what have you
a. and more things; and other various things
The merchant sells writing paper, pens, string, and what have you.

53. answer for sb
a. to vouch for someone; to tell of the goodness of someone's character.
Mr. Jones, who had known the girl all her life, answered for her. He knew she was innocent.
b. to speak for another person; to speak for oneself.
I can't answer for Chuck, but I do have my own opinion.

54. answer for sth
a. to explain or justify the actions of someone or something; to take responsibility or blame for someone or something.
I will answer only for my own misdeeds.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
55. answer the call
a. to die
Our dear brother answered the call and has gone to his eternal rest.
b. answer the call (of nature): to find and use the toilet.
We stopped the car long enough for Jed to answer the call of nature.

56. answer to
a. explain or justify one's actions to someone.(Usually with have to.)
If John cannot behave properly, he'll have to answer to me.
b. (in the hierarchy of the workplace) to be under the supervision of someone; to report to someone.
I answer only to the boss.

57. ants in one's pants
a. the imaginary cause of nervousness and agitation. (From the image of someone suffering great discomfort as if having actual ants in the pants.)
I always get ants in my pants before a test.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: 让基础职场词汇成为你的“嫡系”(欢迎全程参与互动)

work1
I work for a well-known iron and steel company in china. I work on electrics. I run the electric workshop. In fact, I manage a team of electrical engineers: 10 people work under me. It is very interesting. One of my responsibilities is to make sure that the electrical equipments run healthily. I am also in charge of the technology reformation.
I deal with a lot of different people in my factory. I am responsible for co-ordination between equipment and technology. I work with leaders at my manufactory plants. I usually leave for work at 7 o’clock by my car in the morning. I arrive at work at 7:40. I am at work till 5 o’clock. Luckily, I don’t get ill very much so I am not off work.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

work2
I am an electrical engineer in a big iron and steel company. Although I don’t like clock in and clock out job, I do want a eight-to-five job with regular working time as it makes me go home at a reasonable time every day.
In my company, some people work in shifts. We have three shifts which involves day shift, mid shift and night shifts. They change each shift every two days. It is difficult for them to adjust themselves to adapt the new routines for sleeping and eating.
One of my friends works in a foreign enterprise. Her working time is flextime which means she could work when she wants, within certain time. She could start at any time before ten, and finish as early as three, as long as she does enough time within a month.
Recently, a new kind of working way is becoming more and more popular, which is working at home using a computer and internet. It’s called telecommuter or teleworking. Some people are interested in this way, as it saves much more time, especially for some young mothers. On the contrary, some people prefer to commute to work everyday, because they like going into the office and working with other people around them.:wdb45:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

work2
I am an electrical engineer in a big iron and steel company. Although I don’t like clock in and clock out job, I do want a eight-to-five job with regular working time as it makes me go home at a reasonable time every day.
In my company, some people work in shifts. We have three shifts which involves day shift, mid shift and night shifts. They change each shift every two days. It is difficult for them to adjust themselves to adapt the new routines for sleeping and eating.
One of my friends works in a foreign enterprise. Her working time is flextime which means she could work when she wants, within certain time. She could start at any time before ten, and finish as early as three, as long as she does enough time within a month.
Recently, a new kind of working way is becoming more and more popular, which is working at home using a computer and internet. It’s called telecommuter or teleworking. Some people are interested in this way, as it saves much more time, especially for some young mothers. On the contrary, some people prefer to commute to work everyday, because they like going into the office and working with other people around them.:wdb45:
Good job!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
58. appear in court
a. to go to a court of law as a participant.
I have to appear in court for my traffic violation.

59. the apple of sb's eye
a. someone's favorite person or thing; a boyfriend or a girlfriend.
Tom is the apple of Mary's eye. She thinks he's the greatest.

60. apple-polisher
a. a flatterer.
Doesn't that wimpy apple-polisher know how stupid he looks?

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

[FONT=微软雅黑]3.Recruitment and selection[/FONT]
Aug 8
I am an electrical engineer. I was fed up with overworking. I looked in the situations vacant pages of my local newspaper, where a private school was advertising a Chinese teacher for foreign teacher. It is not my major, but I am font of career as a teacher. Furthermore, I’ve gotten a license of IPA this year. I made the application, sending in my curriculum vitae and a covering letter explaining why I wanted the position and why I am the right person for it.
The head of recruitment at this private school was interested in me and satisfied the background of me: my experience of different job, my education qualification. She said we need not send a written letters of application which was used to handwriting analysis.
Luckily, I was invited to attend a discussion group. After that, the bosses had individual interviews with each candidate last week. We were asked to do a written psychometrics to assess our intelligence and personality. If everything is ok, they will check my reference by writing to my referees: my previous employers or my teachers which I named them in my application. Finally, they will ask us back and give another deep interview. They will appoint the position to the right person. To be honest, I hope I am the person. Good luck to me.:wdb19:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

[FONT=微软雅黑]3.Recruitment and selection[/FONT]

Aug 8

I am an electrical engineer. I was fed up with overworking. I looked in the situations vacant pages of my local newspaper, where a private school was advertising a Chinese teacher for foreign teacher. It is not my major, but I am font of career as a teacher. Furthermore, I’ve gotten a license of IPA this year. I made the application, sending in my curriculum vitae and a covering letter explaining why I wanted the position and why I am the right person for it.
The head of recruitment at this private school was interested in me and satisfied the background of me: my experience of different job, my education qualification. She said we need not send a written letters of application which was used to handwriting analysis.
Luckily, I was invited to attend a discussion group. After that, the bosses had individual interviews with each candidate last week. We were asked to do a written psychometrics to assess our intelligence and personality. If everything is ok, they will check my reference by writing to my referees: my previous employers or my teachers which I named them in my application. Finally, they will ask us back and give another deep interview. They will appoint the position to the right person. To be honest, I hope I am the person. Good luck to me.:wdb19:
Good for you. Wish you success!

最后编辑: 2012-08-10
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
61. an arm and a leg
a. a great amount of money; more money than the value of the purchase warrants.
I had to pay an arm and a leg for these seats.
They charge an arm and a leg for a gallon of gas these days!

62. armed and dangerous
a. having a gun or other lethal weapon and not being reluctant to use it. (This is part of a warning to police officers who might try to capture an armed suspect.
The murderer is at large, presumed to be armed and dangerous.

63. armed to the teeth
a. heavily armed with deadly weapons.
The bank robber was armed to the teeth when he was caught.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

[FONT=微软雅黑]4. Skills and qualifications[/FONT]
Aug 9
If I were a manager, I prefer to look for graduates, people who have just left school. It is true that they are good at paper qualification, but they lack working experience. I believe education should teach them how to think, not a particular job. Furthermore, they can get management experience through in-house training course in the company. Apart from that, I hope my employees are proactive, methodical and team players. I also need some special talented person who are good with/skilled in/skilled at computer literate and numerate.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

[FONT=微软雅黑]5. Pay and benefits[/FONT]
Aug 12
I work as an engineer in a big company. I get paid a salary every month. Sometimes, we should work overtime if the contact is very urgent. It’s hard time in summer because it is terrible hot in my plant, so we get nice perks at that time, for example free watermelon and ice creams. There are some good fringe benefits with the job: they make payment for my pension, money that I will get if I stop working. At the end of the year, I get extra money- a bonus, if we complete our commission. All that makes a good benefits package.
For the senior execute in my company, they get the performance-related bonus if they reach some objectives for the company.
In china, it is unusual to earn wages every week. However, salesmen get a basic salary plus commission, a percentage on everything they sell.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

[FONT=微软雅黑]4. Skills and qualifications[/FONT]

Aug 9

If I were a manager, I prefer to look for graduates, people who have just left school. It is true that they are good at paper qualification, but they lack working experience. I believe education should teach them how to think, not a particular job. Furthermore, they can get management experience through in-house training course in the company. Apart from that, I hope my employees are proactive, methodical and team players. I also need some special talented person who are good with/skilled in/skilled at computer literate and numerate.
Good job! "In-house training" we also say "on-job training"!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

[FONT=微软雅黑]5. Pay and benefits[/FONT]

Aug 12

I work as an engineer in a big company. I get paid a salary every month. Sometimes, we should work overtime if the contact is very urgent. It’s hard time in summer because it is terrible hot in my plant, so we get nice perks at that time, for example free watermelon and ice creams. There are some good fringe benefits with the job: they make payment for my pension, money that I will get if I stop working. At the end of the year, I get extra money- a bonus, if we complete our commission. All that makes a good benefits package.
For the senior execute in my company, they get the performance-related bonus if they reach some objectives for the company.
In china, it is unusual to earn wages every week. However, salesmen get a basic salary plus commission, a percentage on everything they sell.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
64. article of faith
a. a statement or element of strong belief. (Refers to a religious tenet.)
With Chuck, believing that the oil companies are cheating people is an article of faith.

65. as a matter of course
a. normally; as a normal procedure.
You are expected to make your own bed as a matter of course.

66. as a token of sth
a. symbolic of something, especially of gratitude; as a memento of something.
Here, take this gift as a token of my appreciation.