A Letter To Mama

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Dear Mama,

I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to write. Every time I try to write to you and Papa I realize I’m not saying the things that are in my heart. That would be O.K., if I loved you any less than I do, but you are still my parents and I am still your child.

I have friends who think I’m foolish to write this letter. I hope they’re wrong. I hope their doubts are based on parents who loved and trusted them less than mine do. I hope especially that you’ll see this as an act of love on my part, a sign of my continuing need to share my life with you. I wouldn’t have written, I guess, if you hadn’t told me about your involvement in the Save Our Children campaign. That, more than anything, made it clear that my responsibility was to tell you the truth, that your own child is homosexual, and that I never needed saving from anything except the cruel and ignorant piety of people like Anita Bryant.

I’m sorry, Mama. Not for what I am, but for how you must feel at this moment. I know what that feeling is, for I felt it for most of my life. Revulsion, shame, disbelief – rejection through fear of something I knew, even as a child, was as basic to my nature as the color of my eyes.

No, Mama, I wasn’t “recruited.” No seasoned homosexual ever served as my mentor. But you know what? I wish someone had. I wish someone older than me and wiser than the people in Orlando had taken me aside and said, “You’re all right, kid. You can grow up to be a doctor or a teacher just like anyone else. You’re not crazy or sick or evil. You can succeed and be happy and find peace with friends – all kinds of friends – who don’t give a damn who you go to bed with. Most of all, though, you can love and be loved, without hating yourself for it.”

But no one ever said that to me, Mama. I had to find it out on my own, with the help of the city that has become my home. I know this may be hard for you to believe, but San Francisco is full of men and women, both straight and gay, who don’t consider sexuality in measuring the worth of another human being.

These aren’t radicals or weirdos, Mama. They are shop clerks and bankers and little old ladies and people who nod and smile to you when you meet them on the bus. Their attitude is neither patronizing nor pitying. And their message is so simple: Yes, you are a person. Yes, I like you. Yes, it’s all right for you to like me, too.

I know what you must be thinking now. You’re asking yourself: What did we do wrong? How did we let this happen? Which one of us made him that way?

I can’t answer that, Mama. In the long run, I guess I really don’t care. All I know is this: If you and Papa are responsible for the way I am, then I thank you with all my heart, for it’s the light and the joy of my life.

I know I can’t tell you what it is to be gay. But I can tell you what it’s not.

It’s not hiding behind words, Mama. Like family and decency and Christianity. It’s not fearing your body, or the pleasures that God made for it. It’s not judging your neighbor, except when he’s crass or unkind.

Being gay has taught me tolerance, compassion and humility. It has shown me the limitless possibilities of living. It has given me people whose passion and kindness and sensitivity have provided a constant source of strength. It has brought me into the family of man, Mama, and I like it here. I like it.

There’s not much else I can say, except that I’m the same Michael you’ve always known. You just know me better now. I have never consciously done anything to hurt you. I never will.

Please don’t feel you have to answer this right away. It’s enough for me to know that I no longer have to lie to the people who taught me to value the truth.

Mary Ann sends her love.

Everything is fine at 28 Barbary Lane.

Your loving son,
Michael

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Dear Mama,
亲爱的妈妈,
I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to write.
很抱歉这么久才写给你。
I have friends who think I’m foolish to write this letter.
我的朋友们觉得写这封信很傻。
I hope they’re wrong.
我希望他们错了。
I hope their doubts are based on parents who love and trust them less than mine do.
我希望他们的顾虑是因为,他们的父母并没有像你们这样爱我、这样相信我。
I wouldn’t have written, I guess, if you hadn’t told me about your involvement in the Save Our Children campaign.
我想,如果你没有告诉我,你们参加了#拯救我们的儿童#的活动,我不会写这封信的。
That, more than anything, made it clear that my responsibility was to tell you the truth, that your own child is homosexual,
那比什么都使我清楚,我有责任告诉你事实的真相,那就是你们自己的孩子是同性恋,
and that I never needed saving from anything except the cruel and ignorant piety of people like Anita Bryant.
除了像安妮塔·布莱恩特这样的残酷无知的虔诚人士之外,我从不需要从任何东西中被拯救。

(未完待续)

最后编辑: 2018-06-19
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
续:

I’m sorry, Mama.
我很抱歉,妈妈。
Not for what I am, but for how you must feel at this moment.
并不是因为我是同性恋,而是因为你此刻的感受。
I know what that feeling is, for I felt it for most of my life.
我知道那是什么感觉,因为我的一生几乎都是这种感觉。
Revulsion, shame, disbelief — rejection through fear of something I knew, even as a child, was as basic to my nature as the color of my eyes.
反感,羞耻,怀疑——这是我对我所害怕的已知事情的抗拒,即使是一个孩子也一样,这和我的本性一样简单,就像我眼睛的颜色一样。
No, Mama, I wasn’t “recruited.”
不,妈妈,我不是被“招募”的。
No seasoned homosexual ever served as my mentor.
没有经验丰富的同性恋给我当导师。
But you know what?
但是你知道吗?
I wish someone had.
我希望有那么一个人。
I wish someone older than me and wiser than the people in Orlando had taken me aside and said, “You’re all right, kid.
我希望有一个比我年长的、比奥兰多的人都有智慧的人把我带到身边和我说,“你没错,孩子。
You can grow up to be a doctor or a teacher just like anyone else.
你可以和任何人一样,长大后成为一名医生或者教师。
You’re not crazy or sick or evil.
你没有疯,没有病,也不邪恶。
You can succeed and be happy and find peace with friends — all kinds of friends — who don’t give a damn who you go to bed with.
你可以成功,可以幸福,可以在朋友身边寻找到平静——各种各样的朋友——那些不会因为你和什么样的人上床而羞辱你。
Most of all, though, you can love and be loved, without hating yourself for it.”
最重要的是,你可以爱人,也可以被爱,你不用因此而恨自己。”
But no one ever said that to me, Mama.
但没有一个人曾这样对我说过,妈妈。
I had to find it out on my own, with the help of the city that has become my home.
我需要靠我自己以及这个已经成为我的家的城市来悟出这些。
I know this may be hard for you to believe, but San Francisco is full of men and women, both straight and gay,
我知道这可能很难让你们相信,但是旧金山满是人,既有直男也有同性恋,
who don’t consider sexuality in measuring the worth of another human being.
他们不会用性取向来丈量别人的价值。
These aren’t radicals or weirdos, Mama.
这些人不是基友或者怪胎,妈妈。
They are shop clerks and bankers and little old ladies and people who nod and smile to you when you meet them on the bus.
他们是商店职员、银行家、小老太太,他们是那种当你在公共汽车上遇到时会向你点头微笑的人。
Their attitude is neither patronizing nor pitying.
他们的态度是既不傲慢也不怜悯。
And their message is so simple: Yes, you are a person.
他们所传递的信息也很简单:是的,你是一个人。
Yes, I like you.
是的,我喜欢你。
Yes, it’s all right for you to like me, too.
你也喜欢我也没关系。
I know what you must be thinking now.
我知道你现在一定在想什么。
You’re asking yourself: What did we do wrong?
你一定在反问自己:我们做错了什么?
How did we let this happen?
我们怎么会让这种事情发生的?
Which one of us made him that way?
我们两个谁让他变成这样的?
I can’t answer that, Mama.
我无法回答这些,妈妈。
In the long run, I guess I really don’t care.
归根结底,我觉得我不在乎这些。
All I know is this: If you and Papa are responsible for the way I am, then I thank you with all my heart, for it’s the light and the joy of my life.
我所知道的就是:如果硬要说我这个样子是你们的责任的话啊,那么我会真心的感谢你们,因为这是我生命的光亮和欢乐。
I know I can’t tell you what it is to be gay.
我知道我无法告诉你们同性恋是怎么样的。
But I can tell you what it’s not.
但我可以告诉你们同性恋不是什么样的。
It’s not hiding behind words, Mama.
它并没有什么隐含的意思,妈妈。
Like family and decency and Christianity.
就像家庭、礼仪和基督教这样的词一样。
It’s not fearing your body, or the pleasures that God made for it.
它不是对身体或是上帝安排的那种快乐的恐惧,
It’s not judging your neighbor, except when he’s crass or unkind.
它不是评判你邻居好坏的词,除非他确实很粗鲁或者不友好。
Being gay has taught me tolerance, compassion and humility.
成为同性恋使我懂得宽容、怜悯和谦卑。
It has shown me the limitless possibilities of living.
它向我展示了生命具有无限的可能。
It has given me people whose passion and kindness and sensitivity have provided a constant source of strength.
它为我带来一群热情、善良和敏感的人们给我源源不断的力量。
It has brought me into the family of man, Mama, and I like it here.
它把我带入了一个男人的家庭,妈妈,我喜欢这里。
I like it.
我喜欢它。
There’s not much else I can say, except that I’m the same Michael you’ve always known.
我能说的就是我还是你们一直了解的那个迈克尔,
You just know me better now.
你们现在对我的了解又近了一步。
Please don’t feel you have to answer this right away.
请不要觉得你们得立刻给我回信。
It’s enough for me to know that I no longer have to lie to the people who taught me to value truth.
对我来说,我知道不必再欺骗教会我相信真诚的人就够了。
Mary Ann sends her love.
玛丽·安向您问好。
Everything is fine at 28 Barbary Lane.
巴巴里巷28号,这里一切都好。
Your loving son, Michael
爱你的儿子,迈克尔

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
刚移民时压根儿就接受不了,慢慢地接触到身边一些普通人,现在能接受别人是了,而且也尊重她 / 他们的选择。

你能看得惯吗?
支持的人们说他们没伤害别人。
文中的Anita Bryan,反对同性恋,是个歌手,后来破产了。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
支持的人们说他们没伤害别人。
文中的Anita Bryan,反对同性恋,是个歌手,后来破产了。

同性恋是个新生事物,既不要一味地反对,也不要一味地支持,要有分析地褒贬。
以我之见,男女首先应该试试异性,如果不能被异性吸引,甚至对异性排斥,那就再去试试同性。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
同性恋是个新生事物,既不要一味地反对,也不要一味地支持,要有分析地褒贬。
以我之见,男女首先应该试试异性,如果不能被异性吸引,甚至对异性排斥,那就再去试试同性。
不是新生的,只是以前报道记载的少,大多数人不知道。

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
  1. L: Lesbian. Women attracted to women.
  2. G: Gay. Men attracted to men.
  3. B: Bisexual. People attracted to both sexes.
  4. T: Transgender. People whose interior sense of gender is different than their exterior physical sexuality, whether male to female or female to male.
  5. Q: Queer. People who don't want to label themselves by their sex acts but do want to claim being different, eccentric, and fabulous. Reclaimed from an old hate term, Queer can also be highly offensive, depending on usage.
  6. Q: Questioning. People still working out who they are attracted to, often applicable to the young.
  7. I: Intersex. People born into bodies that are not definitiviely male or female, including those born with ambiguous genitalia, bits of both male and female plumbing, or genetics beyond the standard XX and XY.
  8. A: Asexual. People who are affectional but aren't that into sex.
  9. A: Allies. Straight people who support the LGBTQ+ community.
  10. P: Pansexual. People attracted to others more by individual personality, differing from bisexuality in that they ignore the gender binary altogether.

家园推荐黄页

家园币系统数据

家园币池子报价
家园币最新成交价
家园币总发行量
加元现金总量
家园币总成交量
家园币总成交价值

池子家园币总量
池子加元现金总量
池子币总量
1池子币现价