斯坦福 IT

idiom---magic(西洋妙语)

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Someone's bark is worse than their bite(口恶心善)

Meaning:Like a dog that barks but doesn't bite, a person gets angry,shouts and makes threats, but doesn't really do anything.
刀子嘴,豆腐心

Example:I asked my father to buy me the new comic book,but he got angry and threatened to take away all my comic books.

Don't worry.His bark is wores than his bite.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
A trip in one point would have spoiled all(一着走错,满盘皆输)

Sometimes I think our life is like a game of chess,we should be careful not only in present but should consider next what to do,how to do.If we have not figured out an all-round plan and alternative plan ,we maybe have to face this situation---trip in one point would have spoiled all.So I think we should not blame everything and everyone but ourselves.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Make a mountain out of a molehill(小题大做)

meaning is to make a small occurrence into a big deal.

US Vice President Dick Cheney's hunting accident seemed like a small event,until it landed on the front page of every newspaper in the country.The US media seemed like making a mountain out of a molehill. But now everything became calm again ,what happened then on the earth?

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
annieyu 说:
lol,are you a cynic? why?China is getting better and better now,we have to give them more time to adjust because you know what a big country it is.

I beg to differ.I dont think I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I know quite a few people who are working in government including my family. And I konw how they work and what they do. Let me believe those can manage our country well ? No way.
Take one thing for an example. What they are doing now in every bureau is learning the policy of "anti-corrupting". How to learn ? Sing a song, a song of "Lian Jie". They take 4 thousands yuan to make a disc for the performance and practicing singing becomes a job in working time. A suit is make for each member. Of course, all the expendings are paid by taxpayers.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
hush-hush

meaning: very secret,it origined from World War I,and originally only being used in military secret.

Example:The project was so hush-hush that even the manager did not know all of the details.

Oh ,Harvey66,I have written something about VO Li is hush-hush,so please keep the secret only within both of us and I will ask him why you can not get your ME earlier ?But perhaps the reason is hush-hush,he can only tell you.:wdb6:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
annieyu 说:
Oh,maybe you are right,but I think the top leaders are trying to do something to make some changes in our country and I know it really does like you said .I do hope all of this will be changed totally.

What our top leaders concern is to enhence their power.
Please notice the news in various media. Recently most of the officials exposed breaking the law ended with death. How terrible. Politics is cruel.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
annieyu 说:
meaning: very secret,it origined from World War I,and originally only being used in military secret.

Example:The project was so hush-hush that even the manager did not know all of the details.

Oh ,Harvey66,I have written something about VO Li is hush-hush,so please keep the secret only within both of us and I will ask him why you can not get your ME earlier ?But perhaps the reason is hush-hush,he can only tell you.:wdb6:

Oh, thank you. Please write to TCW for me who is my VO. I will appreciate it very much. LOL.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
harvey66 说:
Oh, thank you. Please write to TCW for me who is my VO. I will appreciate it very much. LOL.

Oh,Harvey66 ,I have written a letter to TCW and he feel so ashamed for keeping you waiting for so long time so he decided to correct his mistakes in action he told me on 18th,July 2006,you will get your ME.So please forgive him and being patient and doing more exercise to keep fit.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
There is no use crying over spilt milk(对无法挽回的事后悔无用)

Some people in this forum , they are not qualified for emigration to Canada but want to be lucky dog,at last they fail to get ME and at this moment there is no use crying over spilt milk.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
sing the blues(诉苦,抱怨)

I really have blues taday.(今天我情绪不好)Because of the World Cup holding in Germany, I have to stay to so late watch the games .But I do feel all of this are worthful.:wdb19: I also learn tons of new words about this game:wdb6: and get to know a lot of country's names how to say in English.