斯坦福 IT

Daily ESL: 三个月粗通英语

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Unit 9: Discount Clothing Store

Unit 9[FONT=宋体]:[/FONT] Discount Clothing Store

http://www.dailyesl.com/clothing-store.htm

One of my favorite places to shop is a discount clothing store in my town. The store sells both new and used clothing, but everything is in good condition, and the prices are unbeatable. All of the clothing is hanging on racks for you to see, and there are sections for children, men, and women's clothing. If you find something you like, you can try it on in the dressing room. If it doesn't fit, or you don't like the way it looks on you (e.g., it's too tight or baggy on you), then you can just return it to the rack. A price tag on the clothing indicates its price, but if you find a flaw in the clothing, you might be able to receive an additional discount. The store will also alter your clothing for a small fee. Once you've decided on the items you want, you can purchase everything at the checkout counter. The store accepts cash, debit and credit cards, and personal checks. If you decide later that you want to return something, you have two weeks to return it to the store, with the receipt, for a full refund or store credit.

[FONT=宋体]请教[/FONT]store credit[FONT=宋体]如何理解?退款到帐号的确认单?[/FONT]

Shopping Addict / /[FONT=宋体]购物狂[/FONT]

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

Shopping [FONT=宋体]购物[/FONT]
Clothing sizes are measured differently in the United States from the way they're measured in countries where the metric system is used.
[FONT=宋体]美国服装尺寸的量法和使用公制单位的国家不一样[/FONT].
1.A: Are you being helped?
B: No. What do you have in brown suede jackets, size 40?
A: The closest I have is a 38.
B: Do you think you'll be getting any more in?
A: No, but they might have them at our other store.
2.A: Is anybody waiting on you?
B: No. I'm trying to find a green sweater in extra large.
B: We have your size, but not in that color.
A: Can you order one for me?
B: Certainly. Just give me your name and address.
3.A: Is somebody taking care of you?
B: No. I'd like a long-sleeved shirt in yellow, medium.
A: I think we're out of your size.
B: Well, can you get me one?
A: I think so. Check back next week.
4.A: Is anyone helping you?
B: No. I'm looking for a navy blue raincoat, size 36.
A: I'm afraid we don't have any left.
B: Will you be getting more in?
A: Yes. Try us again next Monday.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

[FONT=宋体]美国购衣服用语[/FONT][FONT=&#718]Shopping for Clothes in USA[/FONT]
[FONT=&#718][/FONT]
[FONT=&#718]1. [FONT=&#718]I'm just browsing.([/FONT][/FONT][FONT=宋体]我只是随便看看。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]当你走进商店,营业员通常都会走过来问你[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“May I help you?”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]需要帮忙吗?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]或是[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“Are you looking for something?”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]你想买什么衣服?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]如果你只是随便看看,不妨客气地说[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“I'm just browsing.”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]或[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“I'm just looking.”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]这样你就可以在商店里随便逛了。如果你要找某种衣服,如毛衣,你就可以说,[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“I'm looking for a sweater. Could you help me?”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]我想买一件毛衣,你能告诉我在哪里吗?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]或是[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“Do you have any sweater?”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]你们卖毛衣吗?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])

2.May I try this on?(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]我能试试这件吗?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]如果想知道自己看中的衣服能不能试穿,可以问营业员[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“May I try this on?”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]当然,在美国,大部份衣服都是可以试穿的[/FONT][FONT=&#718],[/FONT][FONT=宋体]倒是可以问营业员[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“Where is the fitting room?”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]试衣间在哪里?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]有时进试衣间前,有人会在门口问你[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“How many?”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]这时你只要告诉她你拿了几件衣服就可以了。比如拿了两件,你回答:[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“Two”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]就可以了。这时候,她会给你一块上面写着[/FONT][FONT=&#718]2[/FONT][FONT=宋体]的牌子,进去之前,你只要把这个牌子挂在门上。[/FONT][FONT=&#718]

3.I like this tank top.It goes with my baggy jeans.(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]我喜欢这件背心,它很配我的宽松牛仔裤。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])tank top[/FONT][FONT=宋体]就是背心。有一种男生穿的纯白背心,美国人把它戏称为[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“wife-beater”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]。因为他们觉得穿这种背心的人通常有结实的肌肉,回家后喜欢打老婆。[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“baggy”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]是[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]宽松[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]的意思,如男生穿的宽松短裤就叫[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“baggy pants”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]。而我们熟悉的直筒牛仔裤是[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“straight jeans”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]。[/FONT][FONT=&#718]

4.Could you help me pick up a dress?(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]你能帮我挑一件礼服吗?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]在正式场合,每位女士几乎都有一套正式礼服[/FONT][FONT=&#718]([/FONT][FONT=宋体]即[/FONT][FONT=&#718]dress)[/FONT][FONT=宋体],特别是那种低胸[/FONT][FONT=&#718](low cut)[/FONT][FONT=宋体]连身裙[/FONT][FONT=&#718](evening gown)[/FONT][FONT=宋体]。有时可以用[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“dressy”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]来强调这件礼服很漂亮很时髦,如[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“Her dressy dress really caught my eyes.”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]我的目光被她漂亮的礼服所吸引。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]而[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“dress up”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]则是指作正式的穿着打扮,男女都可用,也就是女生穿礼服、男生穿西装打领带了。[/FONT][FONT=&#718]

5.I just want to buy some off-the-rack clothes.(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]我只想随便买一些现成的衣服。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])“rack”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]指的是衣架,所以[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“off-the-rack”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]指的是那种由工厂大量制造的成衣,通常指很普通、不是特别好的衣服。例如在某夜市买来的地摊货,就可以说[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“It's just something off-the-rack.”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]只是件普通的衣服啦![/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]相比较而言,[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“custom-made”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]或[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“tailor-made”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]指的是[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]定做[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]的。如,[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“Ineed to get a custom-made tuxes do for my wedding.”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]我要为婚礼去定作一件燕尾服。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])

6.This shirt is very stylish and not very expensive.(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]这件衬衫又时髦又便宜。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])“Good-looking”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]就是[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]好看[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体],[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“stylish”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]则是[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]时髦[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体],可以用[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“good-looking”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]和[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“stylish”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]来称赞某件衣服。另外,也可以用[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“becoming”[/FONT][FONT=宋体],指[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]合身又好看[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]。[/FONT][FONT=&#718]

7.I don't think this one will fit me.(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]我觉得这件衣服不合身。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]买衣服时看到一件自己中意的衣服,却偏偏没有合适的尺寸,可以说[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“It's not my size.”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]或[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“It won't fit me.”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]大小不合适[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]。有些商店挂着[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“alteration”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]的招牌,则是指可以提供修改衣服的服务。[/FONT][FONT=&#718]

8.Your clothes don't match.(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]你的衣服不太配。[/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT][FONT=宋体]这句话指的是衣服不配,可能是颜色不配,也可能是样式不配。当然,外国人的审美观和我们中国人不大一样,营业员说这句话,你可不必太把它当回事。[/FONT][FONT=&#718]

9.Let me ring that up for you.(
[/FONT][FONT=宋体]可以结账了吗?[/FONT][FONT=&#718])“[/FONT][FONT=宋体]埋单[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]的讲法通常是[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“check out”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]。通常,选好了衣服就可以拿到收银台[/FONT][FONT=&#718](cash register)[/FONT][FONT=宋体],跟店员说,[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“I want to check out.”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]有些营业员喜欢用[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“ring up”[/FONT][FONT=宋体],同样也是[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]结帐[/FONT][FONT=&#718][/FONT][FONT=宋体]的意思,因为在开收款机的时候通常会有[/FONT][FONT=&#718]ring[/FONT][FONT=宋体]的一声。有时候店员看到你拿着衣服走过来,她会主动地跟你说[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“Let me ring that up for you.”[/FONT][FONT=宋体]你可以回答[/FONT][FONT=&#718]“OK.Go ahead and ring it up for me.”([/FONT][FONT=宋体]好,那就帮我结账吧![/FONT][FONT=&#718])[/FONT]

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: Daily ESL: 三个月粗通英语

In fact, this might be extremely frustrating for you too if you have studied English for years in your country, only to discover that what people use in "real" conversation is sometimes far different from what you studied in preparation for college entrance exams or class tests. And even if you studied a variety of expressions in your classes, the language is often NOT what is spoken in the streets, meeting rooms, and classrooms in the target country. Non-native speakers often do not have the background knowledge of everyday language to understand it, relying on textbooks published by others to be their guides. Moreover, studying English for the TOEFL, TOEIC, or such tests will help you with academic English, but it probably won't help you communicate with your classmates as much as you think. As a result, learners often sound very "textbook" like when they speak.:wdb4:

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
tour

the script of the conversation:

Ryan: So, I hear you and your brother are going on a study abroad tour of Europe this summer. You lucky dog.

Alex: Hey, why don't you come along with us? It's only for three weeks.

Ryan: Nah. I don't wanna be a tag-along and get in the way.

Alex: Nonsense. I know you're feeling itchy to get out and see things, and this is the cheapest tour around. [Oh, yeah.] Only $1.500! Hey, we're planning on painting the town red every night.

Ryan: No, really. I don't wanna ask you to change your plans.

Alex: No problem. And on the tour, you can kick back and enjoy the sites without worrying about finding your way around. The study abroad tour arranges everything.

Ryan: I don't know. It sound too good to be true.

Alex: Ah. Don't let this opportunity slip through your fingers. And when we're not in classes . . . I mean you have to go to classes, but anyway, we'll be hitting some great shopping districts, so you can keep your eye out for some real steals [uh-huh] . You could even pick up some nice gifts for your girlfriend if you wanna surprise her.

Ryan: Uhh. Well, it sounds like a lot of money to shell out for such a short trip.

Alex: Hey, but they're planning on covering a lot of ground during the trip, so you get a lot for your buck.

Ryan: Uhhh.

Alex: Come on. You're such a homebody. You've got to live it up sometimes, and here's your chance. Splurge a little, and we'll have a blast.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
tour

• you lucky dog: a very fortunate or lucky person
  • nah: informal for no
  • tag-along: a person who follows along, and in some cases, not wanted
  • feel itchy: have a strong desire to do something
  • paint the town red: go out around time enjoying yourself
  • kick back: relax
  • find your way around: get around easily
  • slip through one's fingers: miss the opportunity or chance to do something
  • hit: visit
  • keep your eye out for: watch carefully for
  • shell out: pay
  • a steal: something very inexpensive
  • cover a lot of ground: travel a far distance
  • buck: dollar
  • homebody: a person who likes to stay home
  • splurge: spend a great deal of money
  • have a blast: have a good time, enjoy yourself

小鹌鹑

没事偷着乐
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

store credits 是商店不退钱给你,给你credits,下次你在该店买东西的时候可以用这个credits来付钱,至于credits的形式我不清楚,因为我没有经历过,猜想是个类似coupon(购物券)之类的东西

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

谢谢LZ和小鹌鹑,加分了
希望自己坚持学习,虽然基础差点.
彼此彼此,三个月前听VOA的special,没有文本也是听不下来。现在回头去听感觉简单而亲切。
只要坚持,到了一定阶段就会明显感觉到进步

最后编辑: 2007-10-13
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Dentist's Office

Dentist's Office: Dental Cleanings and Tooth Whitening
http://www.dailyesl.com/dental-cleaning.htm

Every six months, I visit my dentist for a regular dental check up. At the dentist's office, a dental assistant will bring me into one of their private patient rooms and x-ray my teeth and gums to detect any problems inside my teeth. Then, the dentist reviews the x-rays and visually inspects my teeth to check to see if I have any dental problems like cavities. If he sees any cavities, he will clean and fill them. Of course, he first will give me a shot so I don't feel any pain. (He will anesthetize my gums so I don't feel any pain during the procedure.) After that, the dental assistant will clean my teeth by removing any plaque buildup on my teeth. Plaque contains bacteria that can damage your teeth. The assistant will also polish and floss my teeth at the end. I will also have the dentist whiten my teeth this time using a special procedure in his office. My dental insurance covers part of the cost of the dental cleaning and teeth fillings, but it doesn't cover non-essential procedures like tooth whitening.

plaque[FONT=宋体]:[/FONT]A film of mucus and bacteria on a tooth surface.
Floss[FONT=宋体]:[/FONT]To clean between (teeth) with dental floss.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
vocabulary

1. brush your teeth
  2. family dental plan
  3. fill a cavity
  4. get a dental cleaning
  5. get fillings put in
  6. have a dental checkup
  7. have a dental exam
  8. have an x-ray
  9. have braces
Often braces A dental appliance, constructed of bands and wires that is fixed to the teeth to correct irregular alignment. [FONT=宋体]常作[/FONT] braces [FONT=宋体]牙箍:安装在牙齿上的纠正不规则排列的由箍带和钢丝做的牙齿矫正器[/FONT]
  1. have dental insurance
  2. have your wisdom teeth pulled
  3. remove tartar buildup
  4. set up a dental appointment
  5. sit in the waiting room
  6. talk with an orthodontist
  7. talk with the dental assistant
  8. use dental floss
  9. use tooth whitening
  10. use toothpaste
  11. visit the dentist

小鹌鹑

没事偷着乐
最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%

补充我所知道的一点与牙齿有关的单词:
tooth scaling洗牙
tooth polish牙齿表面抛光
crown 牙冠
root canel根冠充填
freezer 麻药
cavity 蛀洞
gum shrink牙龈萎缩
gum inflammation牙龈过敏
gum bleeding牙龈出血
tooth enamel 牙珐琅质
tartar牙垢 (Cream of tartar,塔塔粉,是一种酸性的粉末,帮助蛋白打发,做蛋糕的材料之一)
plaque牙菌斑
floss 牙线
mouthwash漱口水

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Doctor's Office

Doctor's Office:Medical Care in the Community
http://www.dailyesl.com/doctor-office.htm

I was feeling a little under the weather the other day, so I decided to visit my doctor before things got worse. I called her in the morning, and I made an appointment for 9:30 a.m. When I arrived at her office, I had to fill out some insurance paperwork and a sheet describing my current medical condition, along with the symptoms I was feeling. After a few minutes, the nurse called my name and took me back to one of their examination rooms. She took my vital signs including my temperature and blood pressure, and then I waited until the doctor came in. After looking me over and asking a few questions, the doctor's diagnosis was that I had a bacterial infection. She wrote me out a prescription for some medication, which I was supposed to take two times a day. After the exam, I went back to the reception area and paid the bill.