大多伦多 中英文对照【TED】莫妮卡.陸文斯基: 羞辱的代價 (The price of shame | Monica Lewinsky)

最大赞力
0.00
当前赞力
100.00%
https://tw.voicetube.com/videos/24367



Monica Lewinsky

You are looking at a woman who was publicly silent for a decade. Obviously that has changed, but only recently.

It was several months ago that I gave my very first, major public talk at the Forbes 30 Under 30 summit.

1500 brilliant people, all under the age of 30. That meant that in 1998 the oldest among the group were only 14 and the youngest just 4.

I joked with them that some might only have heard of me from rap songs. Yes, I am in rap songs. Almost 40 rap songs.

But the night of my speech, a surprising thing happened. At the age of 41, I was hit on by a 27-year-old guy. I know, right? He was charming and I was flattered and I declined. Do you know what his unsuccessful pickup line was? He could make me feel 22 again.

I realized later that night I am probably the only person over 40 who does not want to be 22 again.

At the age of 22 I fell in love with my boss. And at the age of 24, I learned the devastating consequences.

Can I see a show of hands of anyone here who didn’t make a mistake or do something they regretted at 22? Yep, that’s what I thought. So like me, at 22, a few of you may have taken wrong turns and fallen in love with the wrong person. Maybe even your boss.

Unlike me, your boss probably wasn’t the President of the United States of America.

Of course, life is full of surprises.

Not a day goes by that I am not reminded of my mistake. And I regret that mistake deeply.

In 1998, after having been swept up into an improbable romance, I was then swept up into the eye of a political, legal and media maelstrom like we had never seen before. Remember, just a few years earlier, news was consumed in just three places: reading a newspaper or magazine, listening to a radio, or watching television. That was it.

But that wasn’t my fate. Instead, this scandal was brought to you by the digital revolution. That meant we could access all the information we wanted, when we wanted it, anytime, anywhere. And when the story broke in January, 1998, it broke online. It was the first time the traditional news was usurped by the internet for a major news story. A click that reverberated around the world.

What that meant for me personally was that overnight I went from being a completely private figure to a publicly-humiliated one worldwide. I was Patient Zero of losing a personal reputation on the global scale almost instantaneously.

This rush to judgement enabled by technology led to mobs of virtual stone-throwers. Granted, it was before social media, but people could still comment online, email stories and of course, email cruel jokes. News sources plastered photos of me all over to sell newspapers, banner ads online, and to keep people tuned to the TV.

Do you recall a particular image of me, say, wearing a beret? Now, I admit I made mistakes, especially wearing that beret. But the attention an judgement I received, not the story, but that I personally received, was unprecedented.

I was branded as a tramp. Tart. Slut. Whore. Bimbo. And, of course, “That Woman”. I was seen by many, but actually known by few. And I get it. It was easy to forget that “that woman” was dimensional, had a soul, and was once unbroken.

When this happened to me 17 years ago, there was no name for it. Now we call it cyber-bulling and online harassment.

Today I want to share some of my experiences, and talk about how those experiences helped shape my cultural observations, and how my past experiences can lead to a change that can lead to less suffering for others.

In 1998 I lost my reputation and my dignity. I lost almost everything. And I almost lost my life.

Let me paint a picture for you. It is September of 1998. I am sitting in a windowless office room inside the Office of the Independent Counsel, underneath humming flourscent lights. I am listening to the sound of my voice. My voice on surreptitiously taped phone calls that a supposed friend had made the year before. I am here because I’ve been legally required to authenticate all 20 hours of taped conversation. For the past eight months, the mysterious content of these conversations has hung like the Sword of Damocles over my head.

I mean, who can remember what they said a year ago?

Scared and mortified, I listened. Listened as I prattled on about the flotsam and jetsam of the day. Listen as I confess my love for the president. And of course, my heartbreak. Listened to my sometimes catty, sometimes churlish, sometimes silly self being cruel, unforgiving, uncouth. Listened deeply, deeply ashamed of the worst version of myself. A self I don’t even recognize.

A few days later, the Starr Report is released to Congress and all of those tapes and transcripts, those stolen words, form a part of it. That people can read the transcripts is horrific enough. But a few weeks later the audio tapes are aired on TV, and significant portions are made available online.

The public humiliation was excruciating. Life was almost unbearable.

This was not something happened with regularity back in 1998. And by this, I mean the stealing of people’s private words, actions, conversations or photos, and then making them public. Public without consent, public without context, and pubic without compassion.

Fast forward 12 years to 2010 and now social media has been born. The landscape has sadly become much more populated with instances like mine, whether or not someone actually made a mistake. And now it is for both public and private people. The consequences for some have become dire. Very dire.

I was on the phone with my mom in September, 2010 and we were talking about the news of a young college freshman from Rutgers University named Tyler Clementi.

Sweet, sensitive, creative Tyler was secretly webcammed by his room mate while being intimate with another man. When the online world learned of this incident, the ridicule and cyber-bullying ignited. A few days later, Tyler jumped from the George Washington Bridge to his death. He was 18.

My mom was beside herself about what happened to Tyler and his family and she was gutted with pain in a way I just couldn’t understand.

And then eventually, she was reliving 1998. Reliving a time when she sat beside my bed every night. Reliving a time when she made me shower with the bathroom door opened. And reliving a time when both of my parents feared I would be humiliated to death. Literally.

Today too many parents haven’t had the chance to step in and rescue their loved ones. Too many have learned have of their child’s humiliation and suffering after it was too late.

Tyler’s tragic, senseless death was a turning point for me. It served to recontextualize my experiences and I then began to look at the world of humiliation and bullying around me and see something different.

In 1998 we had no way of knowing where this brave new technology called the Internet would take us. Since then it has connected people in unimaginable ways, joining lost siblings, saving lives, launching revolutions.

But the darkness, cyber-bullying and slut-shaming that I experienced had mushroomed. Every day online people, especially young people who are not developmentally equipped to handle this, are so abused and humiliated that they can’t imagine living to the next day. And some, tragically, don’t. And there is nothing virtually about that.

ChildLine, a UK-based service that is focussed on helping young people on various issue, released a staggering statistic late last year. From 2012 to 2013, there was an 87 per cent increase in calls and emails related to cyber-bullying. A meta analysis done out of the Netherlands showed that for the first time, cyber-bullying was leading to suicidal ideations more significantly than offline bullying.

And you know what shocked me, although it shouldn’t have, was other research that determined that humiliation was a more intensely felt emotion that either happiness or even anger.

Cruelty to others is nothing new. But online, technologically-enhanced shaming is amplified, uncontained and permanently accessible.

The echo of embarrassment used to extend only as far as your family, village, school or community. But now it is the online community too. Millions of people can stab you anonymously with their words, and that is a lot of pain. And there are no perimeters around how many people can publicly observe you and put you in a public stockade.

There is a very personal price to public humiliation. And the growth of the internet has jacked up that price. For nearly two decades now we have slowly been sowing the seeds of humiliation and shame in our cultural soil, both on and offline.

Gossip websites, paparazzi, reality programming, politics, news outlets and sometimes hackers all traffic in shame. It has led to desensitization and a permissive environment online which lends itself to trolls, trolling, cyber-bullying and invasion of privacy. This shift has created what Professor Nicolas Vilas calls a culture of humiliation.

Consider a few common examples just from the past six months alone.

Snapchat, the service which is mainly used by the younger generations and claims that its messages only have the life span of a few seconds. You can imagine the range of content that gets. A third-party app that SnapChatters used to preserve the life span of the messages was hacked, and 100,000 personal conversations, photos and videos were leaked online to now have a lifetime of forever.

Jennifer Lawrence and several other actors had their iCloud accounts hacked and private, intimate nude photos were plastered across the internet without their permission.

One gossip website had over one million hits for this one story.

And what about the Sony Pictures cyber-hacking? The documents that which received the most attention were private emails that had maximum public embarrassment value.

But in this culture of humiliation, there is another kind of price tag attached to public shaming. The price does not measure the cost to the victim, which Tyler and many others, notably women and minorities and members of the LGBTQ community have paid, but the price measures the profit of those who prey on them.

This invasion of others is a raw material efficiently and ruthlessly mined, packaged and sold at a profit. A marketplace has emerged where public humiliation is a commodity and shame is an industry.

How is the money made? Clicks. The more shame, the more clicks. The more clicks, the more advertising dollars. We are in a dangerous cycle. The more we click on this kind of gossip, the more numb we become to the human lives behind it. And the more numb we get, the more we click.

All the while, somebody is making money off of the back of someone else’s suffering. With every click we make a choice. The more we saturate our culture with public shaming, the more accepted it is, the more we will see behaviour like trolling, cyber-bullying, some forms of hacking and online harassment.

Why? Because they all have humiliation at their cores. This behaviour is a symptom of the culture we’ve created. Just think about it.

Changing behaviour begins with evolving beliefs. We’ve seen that to be true with racism, homophobia and plenty of other biases today and in the past. As we have changed beliefs about same-sex marriage, more people have been offered equal freedoms. When we began valuing sustainability, more people began to recycle.

So as far as our culture of humiliation goes, what we need is a cultural revolution. Public shaming as a blood sport has to stop. And it is time for an intervention on the internet and in our culture.

The shift begins with something simple, but it is not easy. We need to return to a long-held value of compassion. Compassion and empathy. Online we have a compassion deficit and an empathy crisis.

Researcher Berne Brown said, and I quote, “shame can’t survive empathy. Shame cannot survive empathy.”

I have seen some very dark days in my life. It was the compassion and empathy from my family, my friends, professionals, and even strangers, that saved me.

Even empathy from one person can make a difference. The theory of minority influence proposed by social psychologist Serge Muscovici says that even in small numbers, when there is consistency over time, change can happen.

In the online world we can foster minority influence by becoming “up standers”. To become an upstander means instead of bystander apathy, we can post a positive comment for someone or report a bullying situation.

Trust me, compassionate comments help abate the negativity. We can also counteract the culture by supporting organizations that deal with these kinds of issues, like the Tyler Clementi Foundation in the US. In the UK there is anti-bullying Pro, and in Australia there is Project Rocket.

We talk a lot about our right to freedom of expression. But we need to talk more about our responsibility to freedom of expression. We all want to be heard. But let’s acknowledge the difference between speaking up with intention and speaking up for attention.

The internet is the superhighway for the Id. But online, showing empathy for others benefits us all

and helps create a safer and better world.

We need to communicate online with compassion, consume news with compassion and click with compassion. Just imagine walking a mile in someone else’s headline.

I’d like to end on a personal note. In the past nine months the question I have asked most is why.

Why now, why now was I sticking my head above the parapet. You can read between the lines in those questions, and the answer has nothing to do with politics. The top note answer answer was, and is, because it is time. Time to stop tip-toeing around my past, time to stop living a life of oppoprium, and time to take back my narrative.

It is also not just about saving myself. Anyone who is suffering from shame and public humiliation needs to know on thing. You can survive it.

I know it is hard. It may not be painless, quick or easy. But you can insist on a different ending to your story. Have compassion for yourself.

We all deserve compassion. And to live both online and off in a more compassionate world.

Thank you for listening.
 
最大赞力
0.00
当前赞力
100.00%

站在你们面前的是一个
You’re looking at a woman
在大众面前沉默了十年的女人
who was publicly silent for a decade.
当然 现在不一样了
Obviously, that’s changed,
但也只是最近发生的事
but only recently.
几个月前
It was several months ago
我在《福布斯》举办的“30岁以下”峰会上
that I gave my very first major public talk
发表了首次公开演讲
at the Forbes 30 Under 30 summit:
现场1500位才华横溢的与会者都不到30岁
1,500 brilliant people, all under the age of 30.
这意味着1998年
That meant that in 1998,
他们中最大的才14岁
the oldest among the group were only 14,
而最小的 只有4岁
and the youngest, just four.
我跟他们开玩笑说 他们中有些人
I joked with them that some might only have heard of me
可能只在说唱里听过我
from rap songs.
是的 大约有40首说唱歌曲
Yes, I’m in rap songs.
唱过我 (笑声)
Almost 40 rap songs. (Laughter)
但在我演讲当晚 发生了一件令人吃惊的事
But the night of my speech, a surprising thing happened.
41岁的我被一个27岁的男生示爱了
At the age of 41, I was hit on by a 27-year-old guy.
不太可能 对吧
I know, right?
他很迷人 并说了很多恭维我的话
He was charming and I was flattered,
但我拒绝他了
and I declined.
你们知道他为何搭讪失败吗
You know what his unsuccessful pickup line was?
他说 他可以让我感觉又回到了22岁
He could make me feel 22 again.
(笑声)(掌声)
(Laughter) (Applause)
那晚我才意识到 也许我是唯一一个40多岁但并
I realized later that night, I’m probably the only person over 40
不想重新体验22岁的人
who does not want to be 22 again.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
(掌声)
(Applause)
在我22岁的时候 我爱上了我的上司
At the age of 22, I fell in love with my boss,
然后在24岁的时候
and at the age of 24,
我得到了毁灭性的教训
I learned the devastating consequences.
在场的人 有谁22岁时从没犯过错
Can I see a show of hands of anyone here
或者没做过后悔的事情 请举下手好吗
who didn’t make a mistake or do something they regretted at 22?
没错 我就是那样想的
Yep. That’s what I thought.
所以你们中的一些人 和我一样 在22岁时做了错误的选择
So like me, at 22, a few of you may have also taken wrong turns
爱上了不该爱的人
and fallen in love with the wrong person,
甚至可能是你的上司
maybe even your boss.
虽然跟我的情况不同
Unlike me, though, your boss
你的上司可能不是美国总统
probably wasn’t the president of the United States of America.
当然 生活充满着惊喜
Of course, life is full of surprises.
每一天都在提醒着我曾经犯下的过错
Not a day goes by that I’m not reminded of my mistake,
我也为此后悔不已
and I regret that mistake deeply.
1998年 在卷入一场没有结果的恋情后
In 1998, after having been swept up into an improbable romance,
我又被卷入了一场前所未有的
I was then swept up into the eye of a political, legal and media maelstrom
政治 法律和舆论漩涡的中心
like we had never seen before.
记得吗 几年前
Remember, just a few years earlier,
新闻一般通过三个途径传播:
news was consumed from just three places:
报刊杂志
reading a newspaper or magazine,
广播
listening to the radio,
或电视
or watching television.
就这三种
That was it.
但我可就没那么好运了
But that wasn’t my fate.
这桩丑闻是通过网络
Instead, this scandal was brought to you
传播的
by the digital revolution.
这意味着不论何时何地
That meant we could access all the information we wanted,
我们都可以获得任何我们想知道的信息
when we wanted it, anytime, anywhere,
这则新闻在1998年1月被爆出时
and when the story broke in January 1998,
也在网络上火了
it broke online.
这是互联网第一次在重大新闻事件
It was the first time the traditional news
报道中超越了传统媒体
was usurped by the Internet for a major news story,
只要点一下鼠标 就会在全世界引起反响
a click that reverberated around the world.
对我个人而言
What that meant for me personally
这则新闻让我一夜之间从一个无名小卒
was that overnight I went from being a completely private figure
变成了全世界人民公开羞辱的对象
to a publicly humiliated one worldwide.
我成了第一个在全世界范围内
I was patient zero of losing a personal reputation
名誉扫地的零号病人
on a global scale almost instantaneously.
科技是这场草率审判的始作俑者
This rush to judgment, enabled by technology,
无数暴民向我投掷石块
led to mobs of virtual stone-throwers.
当然 那时还没有社交媒体
Granted, it was before social media,
但人们依然可以在网上发表评论
but people could still comment online,
电邮不同的版本和开残酷的玩笑
email stories, and, of course, email cruel jokes.
新闻媒体贴满了我的照片
News sources plastered photos of me all over
借此来兜售报纸 在网上卖广告
to sell newspapers, banner ads online,
提高电视收视率
and to keep people tuned to the TV.
还记得当时的那张照片吗
Do you recall a particular image of me,
我戴着贝雷帽的那一张
say, wearing a beret?
现在 我承认我犯了错
Now, I admit I made mistakes,
特别是不该戴那顶贝雷帽
especially wearing that beret.
但是 除了事件本身 我因此受到的关注和
But the attention and judgment that I received, not the story,
审判也是前所未有的
but that I personally received, was unprecedented.
我被贴上了很多标签 淫妇
I was branded as a tramp,
妓女 荡妇 婊子 贱人
tart, slut, whore, bimbo,
当然 还有 那个女人
and, of course, that woman.
许多人看到了我
I was seen by many
但很少有人真正了解我
but actually known by few.
对此我表示理解 因为人们很容易忘记
And I get it: it was easy to forget
“那个女人”也是活生生的人
that that woman was dimensional,
她也有灵魂 她也曾过着平静的生活
had a soul, and was once unbroken.
17年前 关于我的这些遭遇还没有一个专有名词
When this happened to me 17 years ago, there was no name for it.
现在我们称之为“网络欺凌”和“网上骚扰”
Now we call it cyberbullying and online harassment.
今天 我要与你们分享一些我的经历
Today, I want to share some of my experience with you,
谈谈那次经历是如何帮我形成文化观察的
talk about how that experience has helped shape my cultural observations,
我希望我过去的经历能够发生一些改变
and how I hope my past experience can lead to a change that results
减少他人的痛苦
in less suffering for others.
1998年 我失去了名声和尊严
In 1998, I lost my reputation and my dignity.
我几乎失去了所有
I lost almost everything,
我几乎失去了我的人生
and I almost lost my life.
让我来描绘这样一幅场景
Let me paint a picture for you.
1998年9月的一天
It is September of 1998.
我坐在美国独立检察官办公室
I’m sitting in a windowless office room
一间没有窗户的房间里
inside the Office of the Independent Counsel
头顶上的日光灯嗡嗡作响
underneath humming fluorescent lights.
我正在听我的录音
I’m listening to the sound of my voice,
那是一位所谓的朋友
my voice on surreptitiously taped phone calls
偷偷录下的电话谈话
that a supposed friend had made the year before.
我被依法要求鉴定
I’m here because I’ve been legally required
那20个小时的电话录音是真实的
to personally authenticate all 20 hours of taped conversation.
在过去的八个月里 这些录音带中神秘的内容
For the past eight months, the mysterious content of these tapes
就像一把悬在我头顶上的达摩克利斯之剑
has hung like the Sword of Damocles over my head.
我的意思是 谁会记得自己一年前说过的话
I mean, who can remember what they said a year ago?
在恐惧和羞愧中 我听着录音
Scared and mortified, I listen,
听我闲扯每天发生的琐碎之事
listen as I prattle on about the flotsam and jetsam of the day;
听自己坦白对总统的爱慕
listen as I confess my love for the president,
当然 还有我的伤心事
and, of course, my heartbreak;
听着有时尖酸 有时粗鲁 有时愚蠢的我
listen to my sometimes catty, sometimes churlish, sometimes silly self
变得冷酷 无情 无理取闹
being cruel, unforgiving, uncouth;
带着深深的羞愧
listen, deeply, deeply ashamed,
听着那个最糟糕的自己的声音
to the worst version of myself,
那是一个连我都不认识的自己
a self I don’t even recognize.
几天后 斯塔尔报告提交至国会
A few days later, the Starr Report is released to Congress,
里面有那些录音带和文字记录 那些被窃取的话
and all of those tapes and transcripts, those stolen words, form a part of it.
人们要是读到这些文字对我来说已经够可怕了
That people can read the transcripts is horrific enough,
但是几周之后
but a few weeks later,
那些录音在电视上播放了
the audio tapes are aired on TV,
有一些重要的内容还被发布到网上
and significant portions made available online.
公众的羞辱让我饱受折磨
The public humiliation was excruciating.
我几乎无法忍受这样的生活
Life was almost unbearable.
在1998年 我所说的这些并不常见
This was not something that happened with regularity back then in 1998,
我指的是窃取他人私下的言语 行动
and by this, I mean the stealing of people’s private words, actions,
谈话内容或是照片
conversations or photos,
然后将它们公之于众——
and then making them public —
在未经本人同意
public without consent,
未交待背景的情况下
public without context,
毫无恻隐地将这些内容公之于众
and public without compassion.
到了12年后的2010年
Fast forward 12 years to 2010,
社交媒体诞生了
and now social media has been born.
可悲的是 社交媒体上充斥着更多像我这样的例子
The landscape has sadly become much more populated with instances like mine,
不论当事人是否真的犯了错
whether or not someone actually make a mistake,
而且 公众人物和普通人都不能幸免
and now it’s for both public and private people.
对有些人来说 后果是严重的 非常严重
The consequences for some have become dire, very dire.
2010年9月的一天
I was on the phone with my mom
我在和我的母亲通电话
in September of 2010,
我们在讨论一则新闻 关于罗格斯大学
and we were talking about the news
一个名叫泰勒克莱门蒂的
of a young college freshman from Rutgers University
大一新生
named Tyler Clementi.
可爱 敏感 富有创意的克莱门蒂
Sweet, sensitive, creative Tyler
被室友偷拍到
was secretly webcammed by his roommate
与另一名男子的亲密行为
while being intimate with another man.
当这个视频发到网上后
When the online world learned of this incident,
嘲笑和网络欺凌的火种被点燃
the ridicule and cyberbullying ignited.
几天后
A few days later,
泰勒从乔治华盛顿大桥跳下
Tyler jumped from the George Washington Bridge
结束了自己的生命
to his death.
他当时只有18岁
He was 18.
我母亲在讲到泰勒和他家人时 情绪有些失控
My mom was beside herself about what happened to Tyler and his family,
我不是很理解
and she was gutted with pain
她表现出来的痛苦
in a way that I just couldn’t quite understand,
后来我终于意识到
and then eventually I realized
她正在重新经历1998年发生的一切
she was reliving 1998,
重新经历她每晚坐在我床头的那段时期
reliving a time when she sat by my bed every night,
重新经历她要我开着浴室门洗澡的那段时期
reliving a time when she made me shower with the bathroom door open,
重新经历她和我父亲担心我
and reliving a time when both of my parents feared
会因为受不了流言蜚语
that I would be humiliated to death,
而寻短见的那段时期
literally.
今天 有太多父母
Today, too many parents
没机会及时介入来拯救他们挚爱的孩子
haven’t had the chance to step in and rescue their loved ones.
有太多父母得知自己的孩子正在遭受痛苦和羞辱时
Too many have learned of their child’s suffering and humiliation
已经太晚了
after it was too late.
泰勒的悲剧 他的死亡 对我来说是个转折点
Tyler’s tragic, senseless death was a turning point for me.
他让我开始重新审视我的亲身经历
It served to recontextualize my experiences,
我开始看到了身边这个充满羞辱和欺凌的世界
and I then began to look at the world of humiliation and bullying around me
并且发现了一些不同的东西
and see something different.
1998年 没有人知道这种叫因特网的新技术
In 1998, we had no way of knowing where this brave new technology
会把我们带向何方
called the Internet would take us.
从那时起 因特网用不可思议的方式将人们联系起来
Since then, it has connected people in unimaginable ways,
它让人们找到失散的兄弟姐妹
joining lost siblings,
拯救生命 发起革命
saving lives, launching revolutions,
但是我所经历的黑暗 网络欺凌和被称为“荡妇”的羞辱
but the darkness, cyberbullying, and slut-shaming that I experienced
也如雨后春笋般疯长
had mushroomed.
每天 在网络上都会有人 特别是
Every day online, people, especially young people
处理事情不够成熟的年轻人
who are not developmentally equipped to handle this,
被辱骂和羞辱
are so abused and humiliated
他们想立刻死去
that they can’t imagine living to the next day,
悲剧的是 有些人真的因此死去
and some, tragically, don’t,
这一点儿也不虚拟
and there’s nothing virtual about that.
ChildLine是英国一个致力于
ChildLine, a U.K. nonprofit that’s focused on
帮助年轻人解决各种问题的公益组织
helping young people on various issues,
去年年底 该组织公布了一组令人震惊的数据:
released a staggering statistic late last year:
2012年到2013年
From 2012 to 2013,
有关网络凌辱的电话和邮件数量
there was an 87 percent increase
增加了87%
in calls and emails related to cyberbullying.
荷兰的一份综合分析
A meta-analysis done out of the Netherlands
首次披露
showed that for the first time,
网络欺凌比线下欺凌更容易让人
cyberbullying was leading to suicidal ideations
产生自杀的念头
more significantly than offline bullying.
去年 还有一项研究让我震惊 尽管我不该感到震惊
And you know what shocked me, although it shouldn’t have,
研究发现 羞辱
was other research last year that determined humiliation
是比快乐或者生气
was a more intensely felt emotion
更加强烈的一种情绪
than either happiness or even anger.
残忍对待别人已经不是什么新鲜事了
Cruelty to others is nothing new,
但是在网络上 羞耻被放大
but online, technologically enhanced shaming is amplified,
一发不可收拾 并且影响终生
uncontained, and permanently accessible.
过去 丑闻最多在你的家庭 村庄
The echo of embarrassment used to extend only as far as your family, village,
学校或者社区传播
school or community,
但是现在也在网络上流传了
but now it’s the online community too.
数百万网民 经常匿名地
Millions of people, often anonymously,
恶语相向 带来了很多痛苦
can stab you with their words, and that’s a lot of pain,
而且 到底有多少人
and there are no perimeters around how many people
公开地观察你
can publicly observe you
让你成为众矢之的呢 这是无法计算的
and put you in a public stockade.
被公开羞辱对个人而言
There is a very personal price
代价很大
to public humiliation,
而互联网的发展加剧了这种代价
and the growth of the Internet has jacked up that price.
近二十年来
For nearly two decades now,
无论线上线下 我们慢慢地在文化的土壤中
we have slowly been sowing the seeds of shame and public humiliation
播下羞耻和公开羞辱的种子
in our cultural soil, both on- and offline.
八卦网站 狗仔队 真人秀 政治
Gossip websites, paparazzi, reality programming, politics,
新闻媒体 有时甚至是黑客都是羞辱的通道
news outlets and sometimes hackers all traffic in shame.
冷酷 放纵的网络环境
It’s led to desensitization and a permissive environment online
让网络煽动 隐私侵犯和网络欺凌越来越猖獗
which lends itself to trolling, invasion of privacy, and cyberbullying.
这种转变形成了一种尼古拉斯·米尔斯教授
This shift has created what Professor Nicolaus Mills calls
所说的羞辱文化
a culture of humiliation.
想想最近六个月发生的几件重要的事情
Consider a few prominent examples just from the past six months alone.
Snapchat主要是年轻人用的一项服务
Snapchat, the service which is used mainly by younger generations
它声称里面的信息
and claims that its messages only have the lifespan
只会保留几秒种
of a few seconds.
你可以想象这些信息会包含哪些内容
You can imagine the range of content that that gets.
Snapchat用户用来保存信息的第三方应用
A third-party app which Snapchatters use to preserve the lifespan
被黑客攻击了
of the messages was hacked,
10万用户的私人谈话 照片 视频被泄露到网上
and 100,000 personal conversations, photos, and videos were leaked online
现在 它们可以永久保留了
to now have a lifespan of forever.
詹妮弗·劳伦斯和其他几个演员的 iCloud账户被攻击
Jennifer Lawrence and several other actors had their iCloud accounts hacked,
私人的 亲密的 裸体的照片都未经允许
and private, intimate, nude photos were plastered across the Internet
就被公布到网上
without their permission.
一个八卦网站因为这一则新闻
One gossip website had over five million hits
就获得了超过500万的点击量
for this one story.
索尼影视被黑客攻击的情况又如何呢
And what about the Sony Pictures cyberhacking?
最受关注的是那些私人邮件
The documents which received the most attention
它们有公开羞辱的最大价值
were private emails that had maximum public embarrassment value.
但在这种羞辱文化中
But in this culture of humiliation,
公开羞辱还被贴上了另外一种价格标签
there is another kind of price tag attached to public shaming.
这个价格衡量的并不是受害者付出的代价
The price does not measure the cost to the victim,
并不是泰勒 还有其他很多人
which Tyler and too many others,
特别是女人 少数群体
notably women, minorities,
和同性恋 双性恋 变性群体所付出的代价
and members of the LGBTQ community have paid,
而是衡量牟利者的收益
but the price measures the profit of those who prey on them.
侵入他人领域成了一种原材料
This invasion of others is a raw material,
被人以最快的速度无情地挖掘出来 打包并出售
efficiently and ruthlessly mined, packaged and sold at a profit.
一个市场横空出世 公开羞辱是商品
A marketplace has emerged where public humiliation is a commodity
耻辱变成了一种产业
and shame is an industry.
靠什么赚钱呢
How is the money made?
点击
Clicks.
越羞耻 点击量就越多
The more shame, the more clicks.
点击量越多 广告收入就越多
The more clicks, the more advertising dollars.
我们处在一个恶性循环中
We’re in a dangerous cycle.
我们对这类八卦点击得越多
The more we click on this kind of gossip,
我们就会对八卦背后的当事人越麻木
the more numb we get to the human lives behind it,
我们越麻木 就越会去点击
and the more numb we get, the more we click.
至始至终 都有人把自己的利益
All the while, someone is making money
建立在他人的痛苦之上
off of the back of someone else’s suffering.
每一次点击 我们都是在做出选择
With every click, we make a choice.
我们文化中充斥的公开羞耻越多
The more we saturate our culture with public shaming,
它就越容易被接受
the more accepted it is,
我们就会看到越多的像网络欺凌 网络煽动
the more we will see behavior like cyberbullying,
黑客入侵 线上骚扰
trolling, some forms of hacking,
诸如此类的行为
and online harassment.
为什么呢 因为它们的核心都是羞辱
Why? Because they all have humiliation at their cores.
这种行为成了我们所创造文化的一种病症
This behavior is a symptom of the culture we’ve created.
想一想吧
Just think about it.
改变行为从改变信念开始
Changing behavior begins with evolving beliefs.
现在还是过去 无论是种族歧视 同性恋歧视
We’ve seen that to be true with racism, homophobia,
和其它很多的歧视都是这样来消除的
and plenty of other biases, today and in the past.
随着我们对同性恋结婚观念的改变
As we’ve changed beliefs about same-sex marriage,
更多人被赋予了平等的自由
more people have been offered equal freedoms.
随着对可持续性的提倡
When we began valuing sustainability,
越来越多人开始循环利用
more people began to recycle.
对于羞辱文化也应该如此
So as far as our culture of humiliation goes,
我们需要的是文化变革
what we need is a cultural revolution.
公开羞辱这种血腥的运动应该终止
Public shaming as a blood sport has to stop,
是时候对因特网和我们的文化采取干预行动了
and it’s time for an intervention on the Internet and in our culture.
转变可以从简单的事开始 不过这也不容易
The shift begins with something simple, but it’s not easy.
我们需要回归人类固有的一种价值——
We need to return to a long-held value of compassion —
同情心和同理心
compassion and empathy.
互联网正经历着同情心匮乏
Online, we’ve got a compassion deficit,
和同理心危机
an empathy crisis.
引用研究人员布林·布朗的话就是
Researcher Brené Brown said, and I quote,
“羞辱在同理心之下无法存活”
“Shame can’t survive empathy.”
羞耻在同理心下无法存活
Shame cannot survive empathy.
我的人生中有过一段非常黑暗的日子
I’ve seen some very dark days in my life,
而家人 朋友 专家 甚至一些陌生人的
and it was the compassion and empathy from my family, friends, professionals,
同情心和同理心拯救了我
and sometimes even strangers that saved me.
哪怕只有一个人的同情也会起作用
Even empathy from one person can make a difference.
社会学家谢尔盖·莫斯科维奇
The theory of minority influence,
提出了小众影响理论
proposed by social psychologist Serge Moscovici,
他说 哪怕是小众人群
says that even in small numbers,
只要能坚持下去
when there’s consistency over time,
也会发生改变
change can happen.
在网络世界中 我们可以以身作则
In the online world, we can foster minority influence
来培养小众影响力
by becoming upstanders.
以身作则意味着不再袖手旁观
To become an upstander means instead of bystander apathy,
而是发表积极评论或是举报欺凌现象
we can post a positive comment for someone or report a bullying situation.
相信我 表达同情的评论可以减少负面影响
Trust me, compassionate comments help abate the negativity.
我们还可以支持处理这类问题的组织机构
We can also counteract the culture by supporting organizations
来对抗这种羞辱文化
that deal with these kinds of issues,
比如美国有泰勒·克莱门蒂基金会
like the Tyler Clementi Foundation in the U.S.,
英国有反欺凌项目
In the U.K., there’s Anti-Bullying Pro,
澳大利亚有Rockit项目
and in Australia, there’s Project Rockit.
我们谈论了很多言论自由的权利
We talk a lot about our right to freedom of expression,
但我们还应该更多地谈谈
but we need to talk more about
享受言论自由时所承担的责任
our responsibility to freedom of expression.
我们都希望自己的声音能被听到
We all want to be heard,
但是我们要区分有意图的发声
but let’s acknowledge the difference between speaking up with intention
和寻求关注的发声
and speaking up for attention.
互联网是表达自我的超级高速公路
The Internet is the superhighway for the id,
在网上 同情别人会使我们每个人受益
but online, showing empathy to others
还会帮助创造更安全 更美好的世界
benefits us all and helps create a safer and better world.
我们需要怀着同情心在网络上交流
We need to communicate online with compassion,
怀着同情心阅读新闻
consume news with compassion,
怀着同情心点击鼠标
and click with compassion.
试着想象活在别人头条里的生活吧
Just imagine walking a mile in someone else’s headline.
最后我想以个人说明做总结
I’d like to end on a personal note.
在过去的九个月里
In the past nine months,
我被问得最多的问题就是“为什么”
the question I’ve been asked the most is why.
为什么是现在 为什么要逆流而上
Why now? Why was I sticking my head above the parapet?
你们应该可以听出这些问题的言外之意
You can read between the lines in those questions,
答案与政治无关
and the answer has nothing to do with politics.
我的回答永远都是 因为是时候了
The top note answer was and is because it’s time:
是时候不再为过去而过得如履薄冰
time to stop tip-toeing around my past;
是时候结束背负骂名的生活
time to stop living a life of opprobrium;
是时候夺回我的话语权了
and time to take back my narrative.
这不仅仅是在拯救我自己
It’s also not just about saving myself.
任何遭受耻辱和公开羞辱的人
Anyone who is suffering from shame and public humiliation
都要明白这点:
needs to know one thing:
你能挺过来
You can survive it.
我知道这很难
I know it’s hard.
可能会很痛苦 漫长和艰难
It may not be painless, quick or easy,
但你可以坚持下去 有一个不一样的结局
but you can insist on a different ending to your story.
同情自己
Have compassion for yourself.
我们都值得同情
We all deserve compassion,
无论线上线下 我们都应该活在一个更有同情心的世界里
and to live both online and off in a more compassionate world.
谢谢聆听
Thank you for listening.
 

Similar threads

家园推荐黄页

家园币系统数据

家园币池子报价
家园币最新成交价
家园币总发行量
加元现金总量
家园币总成交量
家园币总成交价值

池子家园币总量
池子加元现金总量
池子币总量
1池子币现价
池子家园币总手续费
池子加元总手续费
入池家园币年化收益率
入池加元年化收益率

微比特币最新报价
毫以太币最新报价
微比特币总量
毫以太币总量
家园币储备总净值
家园币比特币储备
家园币以太币储备
比特币的加元报价
以太币的加元报价
USDT的加元报价

交易币种/月度交易量
家园币
加元交易对(比特币等)
USDT交易对(比特币等)
顶部