斯坦福 IT

Daily ESL: 三个月粗通英语

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Car Rentals

Car Rentals
I went on a vacation last week, and I needed a way to get around the area, so I rented a car for the trip. I contacted a car rental agency and asked them about the types of vehicles they had available. As it turned out, I rented a SUV (sports utility vehicle) because I was planning on doing some sightseeing and driving in some national parks. I was able to get the weekly rate of $55 a day, not including tax; however, the SUV came with unlimited miles, so I didn't have to pay extra for the number of miles I drove. Of course, I had to pay for my gas, and I had to return the SUV with the same amount of gas that was in it when I started my trip. The manager of the car rental agency recommended that I buy the additional car protection plan---insurance that would cover the vehicle in case of an accident---but I told him that my own insurance covered rental cars, so I didn't bother paying the extra money for the additional insurance. Before I left, we did a visual inspection of the SUV to see if it had any dents or scratches on it so I wouldn't be liable for previous damage to the car. Finally, I signed the rental agreement and then started my vacation. I returned the SUV a week later without a problem.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Cruise Vacations

Cruise Vacations
My wife and I went on a cruise vacation this summer, and it was one of the best experiences of our lives. Because there are many cruise travel destinations and cruise packages, we first contacted a cruise travel agent who supplied us with a lot of information and travel tips about the whole cruise experience. He told us that cruise lines cater to different crowds, including singles, honeymooners, and families, and each cruise provides different activities and facilities on ship. Because we were going on our honeymoon, we steered away from a family cruise and choose one geared just for people like us. I was a little worried that we would spend all our time on ship, but the cruise agent said that cruise vacations often offer land and shore excursions where you can get off the ship and explore the different lands and cultures during your vacation. Before deciding on the cruise package, the cruise agent suggested that we plan our trip during a favorable time of year in terms of price and weather. The price of a cruise is less in the off season (fall and spring), but the fall is hurricane season in the Caribbean, so this is something to consider. In the end, proper planning helped us have a wonderful cruise experience.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: Hair Styling

Hair Styling
I often style my hair after I get out of the shower. I first blow dry my hair (with a blow dryer, of course), put some styling gel in my hair, and then comb my hair to the style I want it. If I run out of hair gel, I use hairspray instead to make my hair stay in place. I've noticed I've started graying a little around the ears, so I might start using hair coloring to hide the gray hairs. Obviously, looking good is important to me, but I don't want to appear vain or proud just because I want to look nice.

辛苦!谢谢!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Making Hotel Reservations

Making Hotel Reservations
Before I go on vacation, I always make hotel reservations in advance so I have a place to stay. I usually look online for cheap hotels or other accommodations. Sometimes, I book a nice hotel that has a number of amenities like a swimming pool, exercise room, or kitchenette. These rooms often come furnished with a microwave oven and a small refrigerator. If I eat at a restaurant at the hotel, I just have the meal billed to the room and pay for the room charge and meals at the same time. Other times, I just look for cheap hotels or motels that provide the basic necessities. If I really want to save money, I reserve a bed at a youth hostel. The price is cheaper, but I have to share a room with other patrons, which doesn't bother me at all.

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
相关词汇

Types of Accommodations
  • bed and breakfast
  • guesthouse
  • hotel
  • inn
  • resort
  • youth hostel
Amenities
  • cable TV
  • check in / check out
  • connecting room 套房
  • continental breakfast 欧式早餐
  • handicapped facilities
  • hot tub
  • indoor / outdoor heated pool
  • kitchen / kitchenette
  • microwave
  • queen-size bed / king-size bed 大号/特大号床
  • restaurant
  • rollaway bed 折叠床
  • room rates
  • sitting area
Expressions
  • book a hotel
  • call the front desk
  • cancel a reservation
  • make a reservation
  • order room service

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: Daily ESL: 三个月粗通英语

请问楼主:
Hotel Reservations
Hotel Check-In
Budget Hotels
这3个听力练习中,第三个和前两个明显的不同。前两个发音规范的像考试题,而最后的那个全是俚语,看懂都不容易。
这是不知道那这些俚语怎么办,要掌握到什么程度呢??光是“睡觉”和“看电视”就分别用了2种不同的说法,以前都没有见过。~~~~~~~郁闷!

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
回复: Daily ESL: 三个月粗通英语

请问楼主:
Hotel Reservations
Hotel Check-In
Budget Hotels
这3个听力练习中,第三个和前两个明显的不同。前两个发音规范的像考试题,而最后的那个全是俚语,看懂都不容易。
这是不知道那这些俚语怎么办,要掌握到什么程度呢??光是“睡觉”和“看电视”就分别用了2种不同的说法,以前都没有见过。~~~~~~~郁闷!

前两段是标准的ESL听力训练,给外国人学英语的,所以很标准
后一段是个专门的网站,应该是ESL合格以后融入英语社会的那种真实语言环境的,这个网站的宗旨如下:
Reduce your accent, speak more naturally, and understand conversational speech. EZSlang is designed to help you reach these goals rather than sounding like an English textbook . Enjoy!

你可以把那个网站的几个专题都听一下,地顺着我的连接,点Home就可以了

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Travel: Making Plane Reservations

Travel: Making Plane Reservations
When I go on vacation, I usually travel by plane. In the past, I used to book a flight with a travel agency, but now, I tend to search online for good deals on plane tickets. Finding the best price on plane tickets is probably the most important consideration, but the departure time, the number of layovers, and the length of flight are also important factors. Making plane reservations online is pretty easy to do, but don't forget that you still have to pay certain fees and taxes that go along with the price of the ticket. Finally, keep in mind that you might have to pay a cancellation fee if you decide to change your flight plans or cancel your flight.​

最大赞力
当前赞力
100.00%
Listening Conversation

http://www.esl-lab.com/flight/flightrd1.htm

1. What is the man's destination?
A. Salt Lake City, USA
B. New York City, USA
C. Helsinki, Finland
D. Stockholm, Sweden

2. When is the man's departure date?
A. the twenty-first
B. the twenty-second
C. the twenty-third
D. the twenty-fourth

3. What is the flight number for the second half of his journey?
A. 555
B. 90
C. 1070
D. 830

4. How long is the man's layover between flights?
A. less than an hour
B. less than two hours
C. less than three hours
D. more than three hours
5. What request did the man make regarding his flight?
A. He asked for a specially-prepared dinner.
B. He wanted an aisle seat.
C. He requested a bassinet for his baby.
D. He asked for a seat near the front of the plane.